Random FPS drops in Fallout 4

attackontitan

I really need some help in stopping my fallout from getting the FPS drops that it has. I rarely happens in interiors however in the open world its more than common and has been quite annoying. I thought it was the mods (could still be) but I don't see how a couple months back when I was modding Fallout 4 I had no FPS drops, either something added to Fallout causes these because I have repeatedly deleted all my mods and installed new ones however they still happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nFoP6qUKwk

I took this clip it happened twice in a couple of minutes, getting dropped from 60 FPS to 0 FPS. Some help would be great, I will provide my mod list just in case (FYI, I have gone through LOOT and FO4Edit);

0 0 Fallout4.esm
1 1 DLCRobot.esm
2 2 DLCworkshop01.esm
3 3 DLCCoast.esm
4 4 DLCworkshop02.esm
5 5 DLCworkshop03.esm
6 6 DLCNukaWorld.esm
DLCUltraHighResolution.esm
7 7 Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch.esp
8 8 ArmorKeywords.esm
9 9 Snap'n Build.esm
10 a HUDFramework.esm
11 b Arbitration - Resources.esm
12 c SimSettlements.esm
13 d TrueStormsFO4.esm
254 FE 0 FAR.esl
254 FE 1 CROSS_2077.esp
254 FE 2 CROSS_MojaveManhunter.esp
16 10 LooksMenu.esp
17 11 PIP-Pad.esp
18 12 LooksMenu Customization Compendium.esp
19 13 AzarPonytailHairstyles.esp
20 14 dD-Enhanced Blood Basic.esp
21 15 dD - Small Splatter Size.esp
22 16 Armorsmith Extended.esp
23 17 KSHairdos.esp
24 18 LegendaryModification.esp
25 19 LegendaryModificationMisc.esp
26 1a LongerPowerLines3x.esp
27 1b MiscHairstyle.esp
28 1c SettlementMenuManager.esp
29 1d ImmersiveVendors.esp
30 1e Lots More Male Hairstyles.esp
31 1f Remains Of Settlements.esp
32 20 AllSetsExtended.esp
33 21 Dustbowl Overhaul.esp
34 22 Better Locational Damage.esp
35 23 LegendaryModification2LM.esp
36 24 LegendaryModification2LMAKPatch.esp
37 25 BLD - Leveled Lists - DLC.esp
38 26 BostonFPSFixAIO.esp
39 27 OutcastsAndRemnants.esp
40 28 Stm_DiamondCityExpansion.esp
41 29 ImmersiveGenericDialogues.esp
42 2a EveryonesBestFriend.esp
43 2b Eli_Armour_Compendium.esp
44 2c W.A.T.Minutemen.esp
45 2d AA Lots More Settlers and Enemies.esp
46 2e Publick Occurrences Expanded.esp
47 2f CREAtiveGardens.esp
48 30 Backpacks of the Commonwealth.esp
49 31 F4NVServiceRifleRedux.esp
50 32 CheatTerminal.esp
51 33 MilitarizedMinutemen.esp
52 34 ProjectValkyrie.esp
53 35 ButtonsCompanion.esp
54 36 AgemoNPCs(E).esp
55 37 Factor.esp
56 38 IWNPCsOnly.esp
57 39 IWDesdemona.esp
58 3a IWGlory.esp
59 3b IWMagnolia.esp
60 3c IWMamaMurphy.esp
61 3d IWTinaDeLuca.esp
62 3e KSHairdos_oel.esp
63 3f LookingStranger.esp
64 40 sarahRageArmor.esp
65 41 Clean Water - Tropical.esp
66 42 Toxic Raider Armour.esp
67 43 zzjay_Wasteland attire.esp
68 44 AgemoNewFace(E).esp
69 45 IWPiper.esp
70 46 PIP-Pad_LMCC.esp
71 47 CBBE.esp
72 48 Cheat_Engine.esp
73 49 FO4 NPCs Travel.esp
74 4a UsableCigarettes.esp
75 4b OCDecorator.esp
76 4c OCDispenser.esp
77 4d OCDecoratorDLC.esp
78 4e SettleObjExpandPack.esp
79 4f AbductionLite.esp
80 50 UnlimitedFollowers.esp
81 51 Fusebox Generator.esp
82 52 SnapBeds.esp
83 53 Snappy_HouseK.esp
84 54 Snappy_DLC03.esp
85 55 DD_All_the_COncrete.esp
86 56 StackDLCsFoundations.esp
87 57 Better VATS - 0.75.esp
88 58 Better Perks.esp
89 59 Better Locational Damage - DLC_Automatron.esp
90 5a Better Locational Damage - DLC_WWorkshop.esp
91 5b Better Locational Damage - DLC_Far_Harbor.esp
92 5c IWMalesOnly.esp
93 5d IWCarrington.esp
94 5e IWDanse.esp
95 5f IWDeacon.esp
96 60 IWLongfellow.esp
97 61 IWMacCready.esp
98 62 IWMaxson.esp
99 63 IWPreston.esp
100 64 IWSturges.esp
101 65 Food&WaterGenerator.esp
102 66 Schofield.esp
103 67 Arbitration - Button Lowered Weapons.esp
104 68 The Eyes Of Beauty.esp
105 69 LMBTOverlays.esp
106 6a dinoshelf.esp
107 6b dinoshelf_extra_ammo.esp
108 6c WV2_SimSAddon.esp
109 6d Ghouls Revamped.esp
110 6e CREAtiveClutter.esp
111 6f Craftable Armor Size - Fix Material Requirements.esp
112 70 Craftable Armor Size.esp
113 71 DOOMGlock.esp
114 72 Mosin.esp
115 73 BetterJunkFences.esp
116 74 TrueStormsFO4-EarlierSunsets.esp
117 75 Passthrough.esp
118 76 GS Benelli M3S90.esp
119 77 GS Beretta PX4.esp
120 78 Skibs-IF88Redux.esp
121 79 McMillanCS5.esp
122 7a RU556.esp
123 7b P99.esp
124 7c AK74M.esp
125 7d AQUILA.esp
126 7e WVSimSAddon.esp
127 7f AkaWaterWorld.esp
128 80 IMG_Castle_Wall_Patches.esp
129 81 SSEX.esp
130 82 CWSS Redux.esp
131 83 VermillionFrost.esp
132 84 Elysium.esp
133 85 SimSettlements_XPAC_RiseOfTheCommonwealth.esp
134 86 RSh-12.esp
135 87 AUG-A1.esp
136 88 Modern Weapon Replacers - All-in-One Variant 3.esp
137 89 Better Locational Damage - DLC_Nuka_World.esp
138 8a AmmoCrafting.esp
139 8b FyTy - No Godrays.esp
140 8c TrueStormsFO4-FarHarbor.esp
141 8d TrueStormsFO4-EarlierSunsetsFH.esp
142 8e StartMeUp.esp
143 8f Settlers Calling.esp
144 90 EFF.esp
145 91 SlowTime.esp
146 92 Mercenary.esp

a few things to try:

1. Disable Power Saving - Click on Start - Control Panel - Power Options - Click on the *Down Arrow* - And Enable *High Performance Mode* (by clicking on the radial next to it)

2. if you have an Nvidia Card - Right Click on Desktop - Click on *Nvidia Control Panel* - Click on *Manage 3d Settings* - Locate *Power Management Mode* - Change to *Prefer Maximum Performance*

If the above doesn't solve the issue then continue reading the spoiler:

Continued

what OS are you running ?

And what is your computer specs ?

need to monitor the game, with a monitoring overlay program such as msi afterburner, monitor the CPU Usage, GPU Usage, and Memory Usage as well as tempertures for the CPU and GPU. then when the framerate drops, report here what the usage of the cpu, gpu and memory was at the time of the fps drop as well as temperatures.

the lag you are experiencing is not easy to solve, as typically this fps drop can be caused by the game attempting to load something resource intensive, other situations are spawn lag (which would be caused by mods using massive leveled lists)

so basically, whatever is causing the fps drop is either, something in game is overwhelming the hardware or the game itself.

and inconsistency between the CPU and GPU, for example, if the cpu is overheating, it will drop its clocks, this then results in the GPU processing information faster then the CPU can read, this results in inconsistency between both hardware, thus results in framerate drops, and bad performance. the GPU and CPU work together, and as such must be in perfect harmony, by both being able to keep up with each other.

Edited by Guest

a few things to try:

1. Disable Power Saving - Click on Start - Control Panel - Power Options - Click on the *Down Arrow* - And Enable *High Performance Mode* (by clicking on the radial next to it)

2. if you have an Nvidia Card - Right Click on Desktop - Click on *Nvidia Control Panel* - Click on *Manage 3d Settings* - Locate *Power Management Mode* - Change to *Prefer Maximum Performance*

If the above doesn't solve the issue then continue reading the spoiler:

Continued

what OS are you running ?

And what is your computer specs ?

need to monitor the game, with a monitoring overlay program such as msi afterburner, monitor the CPU Usage, GPU Usage, and Memory Usage as well as tempertures for the CPU and GPU. then when the framerate drops, report here what the usage of the cpu, gpu and memory was at the time of the fps drop as well as temperatures.

the lag you are experiencing is not easy to solve, as typically this fps drop can be caused by the game attempting to load something resource intensive, other situations are spawn lag (which would be caused by mods using massive leveled lists)

so basically, whatever is causing the fps drop is either, something in game is overwhelming the hardware or the game itself.

and inconsistency between the CPU and GPU, for example, if the cpu is overheating, it will drop its clocks, this then results in the GPU processing information faster then the CPU can read, this results in inconsistency between both hardware, thus results in framerate drops, and bad performance. the GPU and CPU work together, and as such must be in perfect harmony, by both being able to keep up with each other.

I tried turning both to High Performance Mode however I am still getting it.

• GPU: GeForce GTX 970
  • CPU: Intel® Core i5-4690K
  • CPU @ 3.50GHz Memory: 16 GB RAM (15.94 GB RAM usable)
  • Current resolution: 1920 x 1080, 60Hz
  • Operating system: Microsoft Windows 10 Home

I do have a modern weapons mods that replaces the vanilla weapons with more modern weaponry and I also have Militarised Minutemen but I think the Modern Weapons might be the issue since they use a high resolution and loading that onto every enemy that can use these weapons could cause stuttering I can still use the weapons as standalones but if I just remove the replacer, I think that might work.

" but I think the Modern Weapons might be the issue since they use a high resolution and loading that onto every enemy that can use these weapons could cause stuttering I can still use the weapons as standalones but if I just remove the replacer, I think that might work"

their might be a slim chance, however their was no enemy that spawns with these weapons in your video, so this mod would not be applicable, at least not until enemy(s) actually spawn with them in proximity to you. not too mention a few high resolution textures (regarding weapon textures) wont have much impact on performance at all (unless these high res textures cause the memory to reach its limit), so say 5 enemies spawned with 5 weapons from modern weapons, it would be minimal impact on performance (with regards to the weapons themselves)

i feel like windows 10 is part of the issue here, a lot of issues are usually connected to this version of the OS, simply because of its limitations, especially its System Ram Limits.

so yea, is your System Ram locked to 4gb, as some others are reporting, as this would definitely play a role in performance and could very well be the cause or part of the reason for the frame drops .

as said you can check this using Msi Afterburner, or Performance monitor (part of windows itself) to check for CPU, GPU and Memory Usage

in fallout 4, their is 1 thing the can cause severe frame drops, and that would be anything that breaks the Pre-Combine - Pre-Vis system (basically precombined meshes, which is fallout 4 optimization)

but i cant imagine this being case here, simply because if broken pre-combined was true, you would have severe frame drops for as long as you are in the area affected by this.

with that said, i believe it to be a Hardware or Software issue, leaning more towards windows 10 being the cause (more strictly, the 4GB System Ram Limit, being the cause), or at least playing a big part in the issue you are experiencing.

from what i can tell, your frame rate drops happen when the game is trying to load stuff, memory limits, or simply insufficient memory can play a big role in this, as can insufficient power from the CPU and Or GPU.

Edited by Guest