Common Problem

plkerym

Hello, i got a big problem with my oblivion, while starting the game everything works fine, but after the bethesda logo, appears a black screen and nothing else. When I try to off the game with my task manager (all+ctrl+delete) there appears a common installer, i cant even do a screenshot while this error to show you how does it looks like. If you can help me ill be very thankful. Edited by plkerym

I can't help you with the problem itself but about taking a screenshot,press the PrtScn button on your keyboard and then (whenever you can and assuming you didn't have to restart your computer) open a new paint file and press Ctrl + v.Normally you should paste a picture of your screen from the moment you pressed the PrtScn button.

More info required ... where is the game installed (e.g. C:\Program Files\...), is it a new install or has the problem arisen after you added a mod to an already working game (and if so was it the first mod you've added), what version of the game (e.g. disk version GotY or Steam)?

So, i got disk version, i wasnt playing Oblivion for a couple months (ofc before, everything was ok), today i started the game and this thing appears, I tried to reinstall Oblivion but it didnt help. I have not modded anything. Btw. i got win7x64.

What about stuff like DirectX updates (something that is done behind your back by Windows Update sometimes) or graphics driver updates? The game won't 'go bad' if just left sitting untouched on your hard drive.

Since you've tried re-installing other problems could be happening (for example, did you do a registry cleaning after you uninstalled). Have a look through Bben46's wiki article Oblivion reinstall procedure and see if anything mentioned there jumps out as something you didn't do when you re-installed (or did differently).

- Edit - Something else you could try is rename your Oblivion.ini file to Oblivionini.old (make sure you're renaming the file found in Users\[username]\Documents\My Games\Oblivion not the one in your game's Oblivion folder). Start the game as far as the menu and then exit to let it generate a new ini file (it will redetect your hardware ... sometimes new modern hardware doesn't get properly detected and you may need to go into the menus and reset your screen resolution etc.).

Edited by Striker879

I checked and tried everything that you've said and nothing helps ;/ if you will get an another idea how to fix it, let me know, maybe we will finally find the solution, cause im out of any ideas for now. Edited by plkerym

Something that caught my eye in your screenshot is it's saying a feature you're trying to use is on a network resource that's no longer available. Is your game installed on a network?

Sorry, but i dont know whay do you mean by "...on a network", my game is installed on one of my disks like the other games, i dont even know how to install a game on a network. :/

Maybe check this topic:

i got exactly the same problem...

edit@

Ok, I have found the reason why Oblivion was crashing all the time. The game is working fine now, but only when I turn off all of my audio devices (headphones, speakers). This is actually one step further, but playing without sound is just suck, so if you know how to fix it, let me know, cause I havent found anything about that weird thing.. :/

Edited by plkerym

Yes the game is known to have issues with codecs installed with codec paks and other programs. Here's an excerpt from Koroush Ghazi's Oblivion Tweak Guide:

If you are experiencing audio-related glitches or problems, firstly make sure you have installed the latest audio drivers for your sound card. Details of these are in the Driver Installation/Windows Drivers chapter of the TweakGuides Tweaking Companion, along with further instructions in that chapter for correct driver installation and general driver tips. Disable all additional audio effects or enhancements. For example, if you run a Creative sound card, go into the Audio HQ/Audio Console and in the EAX Control Panel click the 'All Effects Off' option or select 'No Effects' for all the presets. You should also consider disabling CMSS 3D, and indeed any other audio effect options which may be conflicting with Oblivion's sound. You should also consider uninstalling any 'codec packs' you may have installed, as these are known to cause audio problems in a range of games. Contrary to popular belief, most sound cards and even recent onboard audio solutions do not have a conflict with Oblivion, so typically the problem is with the audio settings and/or other audio codecs installed on the system.

A simple way to test if audio is at the center of your problem is to disable sound temporarily in Oblivion.ini. Find the [Audio Variables] section of your Oblivion.ini file (which is found in Users\[username]\Documents\My Games\Oblivion for Vista and Win 7) and change bDSoundHWAcceleration=1, bMusicEnabled=1 and bSoundEnabled=1 to bDSoundHWAcceleration=0, bMusicEnabled=0 and bSoundEnabled=0 (change the ones to zeros).

If the game starts with only that change then your problem is rooted in audio problems. Open you sound card or onboard sound's control panel and disable all audio effects (things like 'Concert Hall' etc.). Change your Oblivion.ini back to bDSoundHWAcceleration=1, bMusicEnabled=1 and bSoundEnabled=1 and test. You can also go to your sound system's web site and download the latest drivers (e.g. Realtek HD Audio Codecs ... tick 'Yes I accept' to go to the download page).

Edited by Striker879