Common Problem

plkerym

Hello, sorry for being offline for so long, but I had big problems with my internet. So returning to Oblivion, all of my audio effects are disabled (they actually were before, didn't change anything), audio driver updated to the newest and Oblivion still not working, I tried to uninstall my codec packs, but still nothing. When I change those "bDSoundHWAcceleration=1, bMusicEnabled=1 and bSoundEnabled=1" to 0 Oblivion works ok, so the center of my problem must be audio. If anyone has any ideas what to do, please let me know.

looking at the image you posted, i noticed in the file path the name Corel and videostudio it appears (its at the very edge of the file path and is cut off). Did you recently install anything by Corel? If so, it appears a feature in that program has made a change Oblivion does not like, and probably is a sound codec used by the Corel software. This would be something I would check out. Also, if you've been getting a CTD (crash to desktop), check the even log in windows. If it is indeed a bad codec, it should be listed in the event log, usually as the faulting module.

looking at the image you posted, i noticed in the file path the name Corel and videostudio it appears (its at the very edge of the file path and is cut off). Did you recently install anything by Corel? If so, it appears a feature in that program has made a change Oblivion does not like, and probably is a sound codec used by the Corel software. This would be something I would check out. Also, if you've been getting a CTD (crash to desktop), check the even log in windows. If it is indeed a bad codec, it should be listed in the event log, usually as the faulting module.

I've deleted my corel software totally, but this error still appears and I found nothing about it in my win log. :/

What make is the sound card or on-board sound (e,g, Creative or Realtek)?

Realtek

edit@

I found something interesting, the game is working fine now, even with sound :D but (the funniest thing) without the music, I just need to turn off this option http://iv.pl/images/68338131138207705444.jpg in my oblivion.ini and everything is ok. But the question is, whether is there any way to turn on the music? I have no idea which of my codecs is "bugging" it. :/

Edited by plkerym

Quite a while back there was another situation I helped out on, and when it got to the same point you're at (game works, just without music) I don't think any more progress was made. If I can find the old thread I'll check out if there was something else you could try. I seem to recall that Realtek was the sound system in that case too.

My non-gaming laptop uses Realtek, and I've updated the sound drivers a number of times. The most recent version shown on their driver download page is version R2.69 (you can find your current version by opening Control Panel and then opening the Realtek HD Audio Manager applet). In the lower right corner find the 'i' and click it. At the top of the 'Information' dialogue find 'Audio Driver Version'. Their R2.69 driver download will give you audio driver version 6.0.1.6649 and under Vista and Windows 7 supports the following Realtek chipsets: ALC882, ALC883, ALC885, ALC886, ALC887, ALC888, ALC889, ALC892, ALC899, ALC861VD, ALC660,, ALC662, ALC663, ALC665, ALC670, ALC671, ALC672, ALC676, ALC680, ALC221, ALC231, ALC260, ALC262, ALC267, ALC268, ALC269, ALC270, ALC272, ALC273, ALC275, ALC276, ALC280, ALC282, ALC283 and ALC290. You can find your chipset on the lower portion of the 'Information' dialogue next to 'Audio Codec'.

If you're not at the latest version I suggest you try updating. After you download the correct driver version from the Realtek download site (you'll need to tick 'I accept the above' and then click next for the link to advance to the download page ...make sure you get either the 32 bit or 64 bit version depending on whether your Windows version is 32 bit or 64 bit) just run the file 'setup.exe'. Here's an excerpt from the install instructions in the readme:

Windows Vista, Windows7, Windows 8 :

Step 1. Run setup.exe, it will remove the original driver in your system.

Step 2. Click "Next" to remove the original audio driver in your system.

Step 3. Once after the original driver removed , reboot the computer.

Step 4. It will install audio driver automatically after computer restarted

Before you update make sure the Corel software is no longer listed in the Control Panel applet 'Programs and Features' (it wouldn't hurt to run a registry cleaner to remove all traces of Corel). Also while you have the Realtek applet open check to make sure you have no audio effects active (Sound Effects tab).

Edited by Striker879

Ok, I've updated everything what you've said, but i think it's not source of the problem. I found something interesting, namely when I try to open a video file in Windows Media Player, I became the same message (this common.msi thing). Any idea? Edited by plkerym

When you installed the Corel thing did you have trouble and go through more than one attempt? It's almost like some file association got messed up and wasn't set back to original when you uninstalled the Corel (and did that uninstall go smoothly?).

Something I read somewhere on here just recently was claiming that Oblivion uses Windows Media or something to that effect. If those file associations are messed it may mess with Oblivion too. Looking on my Vista laptop I'm not having any luck finding where to view and/or change the current file associations (God I hate Vista ... I'm a true blue Win XP dinosaur). If you can track that down you may find something.

- Edit - OK on Vista (and I'll assume Win 7) if you right click a file you can see info on the file associations from the right click menu 'Open with ->' 'Choose default programs' (and I think if a non-Microsoft program is already associated with the file extension it will appear as a bolded 'Open with <name of the program>' at the top of the right click menu).

Edited by Striker879

When you installed the Corel thing did you have trouble and go through more than one attempt? It's almost like some file association got messed up and wasn't set back to original when you uninstalled the Corel (and did that uninstall go smoothly?).

Something I read somewhere on here just recently was claiming that Oblivion uses Windows Media or something to that effect. If those file associations are messed it may mess with Oblivion too. Looking on my Vista laptop I'm not having any luck finding where to view and/or change the current file associations (God I hate Vista ... I'm a true blue Win XP dinosaur). If you can track that down you may find something.

As far as I can remember, I had big problems with uninstalling this corel video s***, so no, it didn't go smoothly. And sorry, but i dont understand what do you mean by "if you can track that down", im from Europe and not from UK, I learnt english at school and while playing games/watching lp's, so try to understand me ;D

Edited by plkerym

Don't worry about the language issue. You are doing far better in English than I could ever hope to in your native language. I will try to keep my comments and answers using as plain and simple English as I can.

If you read the edit I made to my previous post I think I've got how to get the file associations. If you can find a media file using Windows Explorer and right mouse click on it you will get something like 'Open with Corel' or 'Play with Corel' at the top of the right click menu. If it just says 'Open' or 'Play' then I think you did get Corel completely uninstalled. If it says 'Open with Corel' or 'Play with Corel' (or any other program) then you will need to go to where it says 'Open with ...' on the right click menu and that will open anther option to 'Choose default program'. In that window it will have some recommended programs at the top. Hopefully one of those will be Media Player (the default media player that comes installed with Windows). Select that and then make sure the 'Always use this program to open this kind of file' has a check mark in the little box. Click 'OK' and see if you can get the music in your game.

"...find media file using Windows Explorer... " isn't Windows Explorer only a folder? How could any file be run by it? But I found something else (i don't know if it will be helpful or not but there you go). So Oblivion is working fine even with music, although only in windowded mode ;