Fallout 3 Freezing Fixed! ... but NO SOUND

TCat

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

As a follow up after resetting my overclocks I ran Fallout3 for 2-3 hours uninterupted with complete stability! ... now I can move on to modding!

It would be nice for others if the forum moderator could incorporate the word "SOLVED" into the title, I couldn't change it myself :sad:

After spending hours-->days on all the traditional fixes ie. ini.edits / "AGP Texture Acceleration" / ffdshow / windowed mode etc etc ...

It would've been nice if this thread came up in my search(S) ...

AGAIN THANKS to "HosokawaTakuya" and this forum for taking the time to help me ---> Karma ... Full!

SHAZAMM ... I think it worked! I played appx 30min in and around Megaton, went in and out of interiors, had conversations, the Pip boy radio sounds fine! What I noticed 1st off is the crisp clear intro music in the loading menu, that was never there initially.

Here's what I did ... left all my other settings as described above ...

Re-enabled the Sound ... FALLOUT.ini [Audio] bEnableAudio=1

1) loaded K-Lite_Codec_Pack_880_Mega.exe

2) loaded K-Lite_Codec_Pack_64bit_630.exe

3) loaded klcp_update_885_20120522.exe

Holy cow theres a crapload of configuration files, I did the default, which is advanced installation for all, the only configuring I did was to enable the audio codecs I think in the "Windows Classic Player", disabled all tray icons and thats it ... I ended up with 2 programs installed ..

1) K-Lite Mega Codec Pack 8.8.5 ... 62.1MB

2) K-Lite Codec Pack 6.3.5 (64bit) ... 43.1MB

NOTE: I still don't have "ffdshow" file on my system, even though there were some references to it in the above programs/Codecs ...

But who cares right ... EVERYTHING WORKS!

I'd spent hrs upon hrs trying to fix this ... ie. Several complete installs/uninstalls w/different file locations / w/without compatability modes / enabling/dis-abling multiple combos of the DLC & patches / different VGA driver sets / Windowed mode w/every resolution/graphics setting imaginable, to even disabling in the bios all but "one core" for confirmed single-core CPU operation.

NOTHING FULLY WORKED TILL NOW ... thanks just doesn't say enough, I hope all those other frustrated Fallout 3 fans see this!

Edit: And have now even reset my overclocks on the CPU/GPU!

Hey dude I downloaded the same codec as you as I have the same problems but nothing worked :( when I try to run the codecs it asks if i want to downgrade so I did and then it sais dod I want to upgrade, I just wanted to know if I am doin something wrong like not running them properly ect.

Thnaks :D

• 1 year later...

Wow, this actually worked! Amazing. I just installed the codec pack and it's all working! Interesting thing is that I never had this issue when I was on Windows 7, and even on Win 10, it was OK until a few weeks ago. Anyway, FYI, I did the fallout.ini thing and installed the "standard" version of the K-lite codec (11.6.5).

I launch my game through FOMM, by clicking on the "Launch FOSE" button. If I use the regular launcher, the game won't respond to my inputs.

Edited by medaman3

• 1 year later...