Overwelmed with quests, how do you refrain?

lazzybum

I think the main downfall for Skyrim is the quests being hand out like candy at halloween. I do like that there is loads to do, but at the same time I will easily lose track and forget quests; therefore, I'm not emotionally involved into wanting to finish them. Also, you can continue super old quests, as if the quest givers aren't emotionally involved either. "Hey, do this for me! I don't mind if you come back in a few years, I'll still be here! Nothing will change!"

Anyways, are you guys bothered by this? How are you keeping quests to a minimum if you are? Like, are you staying at 1-2 towns and focus on their quests first before moving on? Do you bother with the miscellaneous quests? (Is there a way to delete quests I don't want?)

I lost interest in the game when I visited all the major cities and my quest log was piled high. I'm starting to play again with mods this time, but I'm scared of approaching the same situation. Right now I'm just at Whiterun.

Any suggestions or ways that keeps you quest-sane?

Similarly, when I played the game first, I became overwhelmed. It's easy to fall into OCD mode and drive yourself crazy. I then realized I was rushing it too much, and that it's practically impossible for me to do everything anyway.

On re-install, I tried the 'Live Another Life' mod. I suddenly feel no pressure to follow any quest lines, however these can still be activated if desired. I've put-in about 70 hours now and haven't touched the main quest. Just enjoying progressing my perks, making money from hunting/gathering and Alchemy.

You say

I do like that there is loads to do, but at the same time I will easily lose track and forget quests; therefore, I'm not emotionally involved

Is this something you do in real life? - I suspect not, like me I do something if I have agreed to do it - I could lose focus play Skyrim all day but I don`t I get on with the job knowing people are relying on me - treat Skyrim the same if you want the emotional `pull` the state of current A.I means its not yet able to `give` the right responses to you faffing around so you have to imagine that they do.

None of the above meant as a crititism just a observation on gameplay from a old (I am 50) D&D player who has learnt through experience how to get emotional `feedback` from a game. Basically you have to play it like it was `real` and try and help - or not - those you encounter.

Anyway have fun - Steve (sorry about spelling dyslexia)

I have this consuming question about Activated Log Quests, do they become a must do when you have a Quest to Rescue someone while you wander off deer hunting.

What i want to know is, if i have the Rescue Quest activated, must i go get that Person right now or can i wander off do something else with that Quest still aactivated.

I'm using that mod for my current game. I started off at Dawnstar, but I quickly went to Helgen to grab the main quest. I haven't finished the main story, so I want to get to it one day since I don't know the ending (no spoilers!) Although my previous game I visited the cities, I haven't completed much quests, like the dark brotherhood, the thieves guild, etc. I like quests since they add the story, the mystery, the surprised, so its not my playstyle to give them up and roam freely. Maybe the more trivial/chore quests are getting into the way and distracting my focus from the quests that do turn out to be fun and worth doing (which I'm not sure which are lol)

Kelsey473: Hmm I'm not sure how to understand if it relates to my real life. There are games, where each quest or mission was exciting enough for me to continue it till the end. One example is Fallout 3, which is pretty similar, but I found more fun. Not just the main quests, but the side ones were unique and memorable. Again, maybe its too distracting here where I'm asked to fetch objects for people with no mystery or much story behind it. That piles up quickly, and I forget who is who or why I should do it. But maybe I'm just OCD about keeping my quest log short and clean. Regardless, games are for fun. Im not stressing, just curious on how other players deal with this if they also felt overwhelmed :)

Edited by lazzybum

I try to avoid picking up too many quests. Staying in one area and knocking out a lot of quests is one way to do it, but you always end up having to go somewhere else and pick up more there. I tend to avoid people that I know have a quest associated with them until I'm ready to do the quest. The same with conversation topics. If I'm just trying to sell some crap and go about my business I will not click on any topics with that shopkeeper that look like they'll lead to them asking me to do something. I also avoid grabbing the bounty/fetch quests from innkeepers.

You still end up with a lot of active quests. Some I just ignore (misc. are easy to forget about). If I end up with a quest that seems like it should be urgent I'll go ahead and knock it out right then and there for the sake of realism. Those are mostly rescue quests or big quests with some of the guilds. But "find my sword" or "kill this bandit leader" quests can wait. Every so often when I'm feeling ambitious I'll just go through and wrap up as many miscellaneous and short quests that I can in one sitting to clear out my journal a bit. This is when I use fast travel since I usually only play for an hour or two at a time. I can finish up quite a few bounty/fetch quests in this amount of time using fast travel.

I think right now I have about 5 "major" quests (including two thieves guild radiant ones) in my journal and probably 8-10 miscellaneous (two of which are join the stormcloaks/imperials). This is about where I try to keep it.

To much usless stuff to do. I know what you are talking about because my quest log turned into a mess after visiting 3 cityes. I hope there will be a mod soon that cathegorize the quests. MQ's, Faction quests, misc. quets and radiant quests separatley. Will sort my hoarding logbook. The only option is to stay in one area as much as you can doing quests, going arow into other areas. (that includes not talking to anyone from other areas) Edited by robanybody2000