Rant against easiness and "cool factor"

AngEviL

I just saw the information regarding the Skyrim DLC and there is very little that interests me in all that. All it does is to make the character even more overpowered. I made a thread before of how i made Skyrim much harder by creating my custom mod. There are some mods that make the game harder, with the best one being PISE http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=1269 , but i don't use it. To make it clear, i don't use any big difficulty enhancing mods, because i made my mod, that makes a more difficult experience than all other mods and also i spend hundreds of hours in CK balancing various aspects of Skyrim including each weapon individually and most spells. I won't go into details regarding my mod, so i will go to the reasons i made this thread about. I have questions for you the one reading this thread

There are people for example requesting to wear 2 rings because that's how it was in Oblivion and it makes sense. ok, i agree to a degree, but what about you having the game so easy, what you think adding another ring will do ?

People want mods to make the shouts stronger because the shouts are fairly weak compared to spells and perks. ok, you can do that, but the player character is overpowered already, what you think empowering shouts will do ? Actually all the skills, potions, armos, weapons need to be toned for the player, so then the shouts become useful that way. Now i will continue with more questions.

There is the DLC that gives to the player new powers which i see everybody being excited about. Here is from wiki: "These powers range from increased health recovery through biting and sucking the blood of enemies, to an enhanced form of the Vampiric Drain spell used by Vampires that seems to be combined with a more powerful version of Telekinesis, allowing you to lift enemies into the air while draining health." Is that the game about it ? Seeing that and then saying "wow cool ! look how deadly my character is now !". Like for example i see players putting points into stamina because they feel like they "need to constantly power attack". I've seen plenty of Youtube videos of dual-wielding assassins that plow through enemies, where in seconds they kill a group of 4 enemies.

Is that the fun ? To look at the perk tree and put 5 perks into one handed so you have +100% damage, and think how you deal "awsome damage". Then to say how you "work hard" to smith a few items that make the smith skill level fast and to put a perk into the daedric smithing and use smithing and enchanting potions so you create "epic armors and weapons". And then on the vanilla you sell a few items and have 100k gold and you get to have "hard earned cash". And then there are mods convert the dragon souls to perks, because i see plenty of posts of "i am spread too thin ! i don't have enough perks to use my master plan of creating a super-epic character".

I see a lot of people saying how they deal "huge damage" and how they have "no trouble" with whatever play style they choose. With vanilla Skyrim you can put all perks into lockpicking and pickpocketing and speechcraft and you would do great. And also now all the rage is with "deleveling". "i feel stupid how things level as i level. why am i not getting more powerful ?? I want to feel powerful and i am spending all this time training, i need to feel it ". On vanilla, the game is already easy on master at level 1, by 25 it is braindead-easy, by 50 is god mode, at 80 is autopilot-play.

I hope you figured out that the quotes i gave are quotes i see people including the ones reading this thread using. What about fighting a group of leveled bandits who deal so much damage and have so much health that you have to block or die, that you have to use potions on you, that you have to select your perks carefully, that you have to learn to hit and run, that you have to learn to kill each enemy separately. And you watch like a hawk what the enemies do, that you need skill to balance blocking, attacking and bashing, and to adapt to each particular fight with different enemies, and to be similarly difficult at level 1, 50 or 80. That is what i have in my mod.

And bethesda now adds "features" with the new DLC that everybody i see says how "cool" they are and they are drooling thinking how their "powerful" character will shout enemis to death. What about balancing so nothing can be abused ? I personally have zero interest in the DLC except that plains of oblivion area to explore. And another thing, the newest patch brought mounted combat. Again, the coolness factor is through the roof in these forums, but what about balance ? Then what, you pick all your enemies on the horse and they die fast, with you taking no damage, and "i am awesome" ?

Edited by AngEviL

I stereotype most of the above with console gamers, because they can't mod their games so are forced to play the vanilla game and are more impressed by new content and items to make them 'stronger' etc rather then things which make the game more immersive and add other aspects to the game.

Even though i haven't played Skyrim as much as Oblivion, i still play both on a easier difficulty setting to breeze past pointless wolf battles and still have a challenge against the bosses, i don't need to play on the normal or harder settings to feel that i have accomplished something as id rather spend my game time exploring rather then battling in the places i explore for hours on end.

I think it depends on what you want from the game, i used the console to obtain money to buy a house, i didn't feel that i was 'cheating' because i didn't earn it, i just wanted to skip the process of obtaining the money to have a house and spend my time doing something else.. Seeing as the game is single player (not counting achievements etc which could be seen as turning the game competitive,) it shouldn't matter what a player does as long as they are happy when they are playing!

So, you think the game is too easy? Use lower classes of armor. I do that when I Like my character, don't want to re-play the whole damn game and just want ot find a challenge, I go to a dragon, use steel weapons and armor, or at least low class armor, and enjoy the challenge!

As for the dawnguard making things even easier, it also adds harder enemies to fight and is DESIGNED for high level character, thus it is safe to assume that it will be full of difficult fights, not just neat skills.

I stereotype most of the above with console gamers, because they can't mod their games so are forced to play the vanilla game and are more impressed by new content and items to make them 'stronger' etc rather then things which make the game more immersive and add other aspects to the game.

Even though i haven't played Skyrim as much as Oblivion, i still play both on a easier difficulty setting to breeze past pointless wolf battles and still have a challenge against the bosses, i don't need to play on the normal or harder settings to feel that i have accomplished something as id rather spend my game time exploring rather then battling in the places i explore for hours on end.

I think it depends on what you want from the game, i used the console to obtain money to buy a house, i didn't feel that i was 'cheating' because i didn't earn it, i just wanted to skip the process of obtaining the money to have a house and spend my time doing something else.. Seeing as the game is single player (not counting achievements etc which could be seen as turning the game competitive,) it shouldn't matter what a player does as long as they are happy when they are playing!

I do this as well, and if a clothing mod has ridiculous prices for normal everyday (if very pretty) clothes, I do it then too. I'm not spending 10 thousand gold that I earned the hard way on a shiny dress that does nothing lol.

I think this is just another case of "to each his own." I haven't felt overpowered in the game since I've been playing my mage character. I've added a few mods that make the game harder as well as balanced magic which really should make the game easier. Long story short, I die all the time. One arrow hits me and I'm dead, one power attack and I'm dead. I wear no armor and use no weapons.

I honestly don't care at all how anyone else plays the game, nor do I ask that they justify their play-style.

p.s. You still take damage while you're on a horse (in response to the op's comments on horse combat)

I don't understand people who complain about being "over-powered." I put 400 hours into my character making him that powerful. He SHOULD be powerful. If you don't want your character to be powerful, then don't spend all that time working on smithing, enchanting, alchemy, training, etc. Nobody said you HAD to do those things.

But more specific to the OP's topic.. I'm not very interested in the DLC right now either until I hear something better out of it.

Making a DLC about Vampires and Werewolves, only appeals to people who LIKE Vampires and Werewolves. Personally I don't care for either, so why should I pay for the DLC?

Edited by Stemin

I don't understand people who complain about being "over-powered." I put 400 hours into my character making him that powerful. He SHOULD be powerful. If you don't want your character to be powerful, then don't spend all that time working on smithing, enchanting, alchemy, training, etc. Nobody said you HAD to do those things.

But more specific to the OP's topic.. I'm not very interested in the DLC right now either until I hear something better out of it.

Making a DLC about Vampires and Werewolves, only appeals to people who LIKE Vampires and Werewolves. Personally I don't care for either, so why should I pay for the DLC?

because it adds awesome crossbows! on a serious note the dlc will probably allow for some pretty neat mods.

Skyrim is single player. Isn't the whole point of Modding to adjust the game so that you can play it your way? I don't understand why I keep seeing threads that rant at everyone because they aren't playing Skyrim exactly as they are. Individualism is the conerstone of Human Society and cultural constructs. Without it we all become just one single drone. Course...that might be a cool theme for a game.

because it adds awesome crossbows! on a serious note the dlc will probably allow for some pretty neat mods.

I don't care about crossbows either. It's superficial. It's not going to add any extra gameplay for me. The only thing that will do that is new areas to explore.

Skyrim is single player. Isn't the whole point of Modding to adjust the game so that you can play it your way? I don't understand why I keep seeing threads that rant at everyone because they aren't playing Skyrim exactly as they are.

I'm getting tired of people ranting about their individual beefs with Bethesda because they don't have enough choices, or "this ruins immersion" or blah blah blah blah blah.

I wish people would stop projecting their own expectations on other people. I mean this is an amazing game. I remember how crumby the first RPG game was on Atari, and Legend of Zelda and Dragon Warrior were awesome at the time, but look how far this stuff has come, and people just complain.

OP have you considered that some of us play this game to relax?.....I don't want to be stressing and strategising over every battle or every septim in my game, my primary objective with Skyrim is to kick back, relax and enjoy the game as I see fit....as has already been pointed out, this is a SP game and as such, why does it matter to you as to how other people enjoy their Skyrim? We are not all Master gamers as you profess yourself to be, I am a relatively busy older woman with teenage daughters and as such have no interest in becoming a master gamer, am happy on adept, playing and modding in such a way as to enjoy my Dovahkin and what I can have him do.