Rant against easiness and "cool factor"

AngEviL

Well, yes. If you put time and thought into your character the game will be easy. I do agree though that it's too easy, even on master.

I use Deadly dragons (hard preset) + PISE + Duel Combat + Balanced Magic + UFO + Better followers + a lot of other balancing and gameplay mods. I also should mention Apocalypse spell package, and that PISE automatically adds spells from mods onto enemies.

I play on master and sometimes it seems that I just cannot survive without help of my followers. Like I went outside of whiterun a couple of days ago, alone.

There were 3 wolves. Easy enough. I walk a little further and there's a sabre cat. I ran for my life, occasionally shield bashing it when it was catching up with me. I got to the giant camp and they sent the cat flying somewhere towards Halted stream camp. That was also where I was heading. I got to halted stream camp and there was a group of about 10 bandits sprinting towards me, and so I ran back to the giant camp.

They dealt with my problem, but they also decided I'm a target. I decided to use them for my benefit, so I ran back to the Halted streams, and made them finish those bandits off. Now I was trapped in the camp surrounded by 3 of them + a mammoth. I had to use an invisibility potion to get out.

Well, yes. If you put time and thought into your character the game will be easy. I do agree though that it's too easy, even on master.

I use Deadly dragons (hard preset) + PISE + Duel Combat + Balanced Magic + UFO + Better followers + a lot of other balancing and gameplay mods. I also should mention Apocalypse spell package, and that PISE automatically adds spells from mods onto enemies.

I play on master and sometimes it seems that I just cannot survive without help of my followers. Like I went outside of whiterun a couple of days ago, alone.

There were 3 wolves. Easy enough. I walk a little further and there's a sabre cat. I ran for my life, occasionally shield bashing it when it was catching up with me. I got to the giant camp and they sent the cat flying somewhere towards Halted stream camp. That was also where I was heading. I got to halted stream camp and there was a group of about 10 bandits sprinting towards me, and so I ran back to the giant camp.

They dealt with my problem, but they also decided I'm a target. I decided to use them for my benefit, so I ran back to the Halted streams, and made them finish those bandits off. Now I was trapped in the camp surrounded by 3 of them + a mammoth. I had to use an invisibility potion to get out.

To me this is the kind of fun i talk about of having in the games. I try to kill the enemies on my own, so i get the skill experience, but yes, it happens that i cannot beat certain groups of enemies and I lure groups of enemies to fight among each other, since i have little money for potions because i set the merchant sell price 10 times higher, and player sell price 10 times lower (yes, 100 times harsher merchants compared to vanilla). These are the kind of events that make me smile and play Skyrim more. Hacking and slashing while staring emptily at the screen and choosing "easy picks" of overpowered and unbalanced perks, so by a few perks i can have over double damage and max armor rating, is no fun to me.

OP have you considered that some of us play this game to relax?.....I don't want to be stressing and strategising over every battle or every septim in my game, my primary objective with Skyrim is to kick back, relax and enjoy the game as I see fit....as has already been pointed out, this is a SP game and as such, why does it matter to you as to how other people enjoy their Skyrim?

I did not mean to sound harsh, and i am not a professional player and for example i suck in fps games like counter stricke. I agree with your point that people play games to relax, but this has become a trend now, that each game it is easier than the one before. Look for example at diablo 3, you can breeze through the first 3 difficulty levels. The 4th inferno difficulty was supposed to be "super-hard", and now after people learned the skill tree and acquired good gear, and it is soloed with no problems. But if i want to "relax" i prefer to take a walk outside in a park, which i do.

I'm getting tired of people ranting about their individual beefs with Bethesda because they don't have enough choices, or "this ruins immersion" or blah blah blah blah blah.

I wish people would stop projecting their own expectations on other people. I mean this is an amazing game. I remember how crumby the first RPG game was on Atari, and Legend of Zelda and Dragon Warrior were awesome at the time, but look how far this stuff has come, and people just complain.

Skyrim is single player. Isn't the whole point of Modding to adjust the game so that you can play it your way? I don't understand why I keep seeing threads that rant at everyone because they aren't playing Skyrim exactly as they are. Individualism is the conerstone of Human Society and cultural constructs. Without it we all become just one single drone. Course...that might be a cool theme for a game.

I agree with your points to a degree, and yes, games have come a far way from then, imagine going back from Skyrim to TES Daggerfall. However, I am now unsatisfied that i keep playing my old games. I stopped for the most part getting new games because all of the new ones have a "casual" attitude about them. I am keeping on "my own", but i don't have any more new games to pick ! The "coolness factor" and absurdly easy difficult is going through the roof. What do you suggest then ? I end up playing the same good ol' oldies. So yes, i rant here, because the situation is frustrating to me.

You could give me some examples of good new games, but they are very rare and i know, i read game news, and it is expected too with the "consolization" of new games to make as much money as possible. And don't tell me about budgets, the best games that were released lately were fairly low budget like Sins of the solar empire and Trine (even though i dislike the cartoonish graphics), or very low budged like Osmos.

And another thing, the only thing improving now in games in my opinion is the graphics. However, because of the "coolness factor" i have to deal with bloom, depth of field, and over-saturaded (colored), and cartoonish art. Even regarding the graphics only, i have less and less interest in new games.

I stereotype most of the above with console gamers, because they can't mod their games so are forced to play the vanilla game and are more impressed by new content and items to make them 'stronger' etc rather then things which make the game more immersive and add other aspects to the game.

Even though i haven't played Skyrim as much as Oblivion, i still play both on a easier difficulty setting to breeze past pointless wolf battles and still have a challenge against the bosses, i don't need to play on the normal or harder settings to feel that i have accomplished something as id rather spend my game time exploring rather then battling in the places i explore for hours on end.

Exploring is good, but to me that is half of the game, along with the graphics. The other half is made of game mechanics and strategies and think-factor, which vanilla Skyrim is lacking.

Edited by AngEviL

On vanilla, the game is already easy on master at level 1, by 25 it is braindead-easy, by 50 is god mode, at 80 is autopilot-play.

I'm playing the game without any mods to make it harder and it's still hard on higher difficulty setting at my current level 25 (I play at Expert). But I don't maximize or abuse game mechanics, I like to role-play the game more.

I've not put any perks in smithing or enchanting, and not enchanted any gear. I only use gear I've found or got by quests. I've not bought gear from vendors except arrows. I hate pausing the game and interrupting real-time combat, although sometimes that's hard to avoid due to the limited built-in hotkey functionality. I got one-shot by the Malkoran when I wasn't at max health level. I got killed by a bear and three wolves when I was sloppy.

So by imposing some restrictions on my self in the game I can increase difficulty level. Yes, there are level thresholds where the game becomes easier because enemies have caps. But those take a long time for me to reach and I have a lot of fun reaching those levels.

Is this different from using mods to make the game harder? Not really, just different choices. There are some mods that changes things for realism, like lowering weight allowance, forcing you to eat etc. But I don't like those, I made my own choices to make the game entertaining for myself.

It gets to a point for me where I try hard to avoid combat on Skyrim, even on Oblivion... I really don't enjoy it, you feel like you the player and the npc really don't care about life preservation and just want to hack at each other wildly. There needs to be more strategy in combat. Even or especially with archery. While in shooters, combatants are taking cover and waiting for the oppertune moment, in Skyrim they prance about in the open taking pot shots at a living, breathing pinata.

IMHO I think you're just trolling for an argument.No offense intended. I support your right to rant but don't care for your 'judgment' of other players style of play.

When I browse the Mods I am continually amazed at some of them. I always think, "There is no way I would play with that in my game!" But I will always be in support of art and creativity. Which happens to be the biggest selling point for me concerning the Nexus.

Just a suggestion: Rant and and be critical of the game if you must. But please don't slam me because I think it is 'cool', 'awesome' or is something I find 'relaxing'.

I agree with your points to a degree, and yes, games have come a far way from then, imagine going back from Skyrim to TES Daggerfall. However, I am now unsatisfied that i keep playing my old games. I stopped for the most part getting new games because all of the new ones have a "casual" attitude about them. I am keeping on "my own", but i don't have any more new games to pick ! The "coolness factor" and absurdly easy difficult is going through the roof. What do you suggest then ?

I suggest you lower your expectations or give up gaming, because you're not going to change it and the only one you're hurting is yourself. Accept the things you cannot change. You're missing out on a fantastic game soley because of your own attitude towards it.

Edited by Stemin

I agree with your points to a degree, and yes, games have come a far way from then, imagine going back from Skyrim to TES Daggerfall. However, I am now unsatisfied that i keep playing my old games. I stopped for the most part getting new games because all of the new ones have a "casual" attitude about them. I am keeping on "my own", but i don't have any more new games to pick ! The "coolness factor" and absurdly easy difficult is going through the roof. What do you suggest then ?

I suggest you lower your expectations or give up gaming, because you're not going to change it and the only one you're hurting is yourself. Accept the things you cannot change. You're missing out on a fantastic game soley because of your own attitude towards it.

Wrong thinking stemin, we, the costumers (consumers) are the ones who can change how things are done...the game companies repeat the same old game styles over a decade now, they build up hypes over the media so the sheeps jump on anything they throw at them.

If you look at the core of these games and look back like 12 years or even more, the only thing that really changed (evolved) is the graphics otherwise its the same old thing and i dare to say no other games then TES, shows this more clearly.

The whole thing about skyrim is like they got nice ideas and thrown them together without really thinking about the balance, same thing will be with dawnguard, you get new weps and powers but the core will remain the same.

Wrong thinking stemin, we, the costumers (consumers) are the ones who can change how things are done...

Uh, no we don't. Individuals don't change anything. Bethesda has and will always go with whatever is most popular, because that's what sells games. They can't make games if they don't sell them.

So holding the game up to your expectations and then complaining when it doesn't meet them is an exercise in futility.

Wrong thinking stemin, we, the costumers (consumers) are the ones who can change how things are done...

Uh, no we don't. Individuals don't change anything. Bethesda has and will always go with whatever is most popular, because that's what sells games. They can't make games if they don't sell them.

So holding the game up to your expectations and then complaining when it doesn't meet them is an exercise in futility.

Thats why i wrote, we, you are contradicting yourself by saying "no we dont" and then you talk about a single person..to me this sounds more of an excuse, because you are aware i wasnt talking about an individual here, but its esier to just say no we cant.

In my opinion more and more people are starting to be aware that games can now be more then just killing time, they can be intelligent, let you feel emotions, simply forget you are playing a game.

I think slowly the game companies will have to change this neverending milking and start to expand and evolve the gameplay more, just like they do with graphics.

Edited by pavy