Help: Recommended gaming laptop for running New Vegas and FO3

Lameasskid

So the Pavillion dv6000 I've had for 5 years is on it's last legs and I need a new laptop pc to replace it. It's a pretty shitty computer and I'm surprised that it can run either game at all (It's pretty smooth on a medium setting with occasional lagging). I know a desktop is better, but I travel too much for me to practically have one. Money is an issue so anything under $1000 is great, especially since I can probably get it at half that, used. I've been looking into the Gateway NV55S05u because I've heard it's especially good for gaming, but it sucks overall as a computer. I've gotten ASUS as a suggestion too. Anyway, any input you guys have is great, especially from personal experience. Also, AMD or Intel? I'm not sure. Please no Alienware, too broke.

Intel's better than amd IMO, and any mobility graphics card above the HD5650 or 330M is good for running the FO games, I recommend taking a look at the chart Here for more info about the hierarchy of graphics cards. You should look for GPUs with mobility prefix.

Intel would be the better way to go for a laptop, and arguably even a desktop. I would try to shoot for something using a recent model of i5 or better though. i3 processors just don't have the power when it comes to handling games or high graphics.

$1000 might be a little low for a decent gaming laptop though. In that price range either you're lacking with the processor, or the memory, or the laptop in general is an overpriced POS.

Alienware in general is grossly overpriced crap these days though since they're essentially basic Dell hardware, an extra 15 minutes overclocking it and swapping out RAM, and re-branded with a different logo and case. That extra $800 you're spending is really just for the case... which usually has horrible air-flow since it's just designed to look cool.

Alright, so Intel it is. Are there any specific models I should look at? And when it comes to price, I always figured I get a used laptop or a refurb instead of a completely new one. As long as it runs well.

Thanks for the input guys.

Edited by Lameasskid

Asus has some nice laptops that run games decently for about $300-$800 new. You won't be playing anything on high settings but you will be able to play, and they are very versatile.

And I mean its up to you but personally I don't know that I would ever buy a used laptop. There are so many things that could be wrong with one that you just won't be able to know about until it's too late.

refurbished is fine if it comes with a warranty with it. which many do.

also i recommend Asus. its what i have, and it easily plays Fallout.

A Refurbished one on Amazon

thats the one i have actually. and i believe mine is a refurbished one IIRC. i had one before but something on the mobo died. so i bought a refurbished one for like $500 (weird how it was cheaper then) and swapped out the HDDs.

Edited by hoofhearted4