Dark Brotherhood Question

Bob0920

She does become essential at the point you leave the shack.

you can cheat using console commands. Kill her, then resurrect her. set her to friend and marriage faction. you then can keep her as a follower and get a "killer" bride in the process. She also has the Blade of Woe on her.

There is still some dialog that continues on, but it has no bearing on her being a follower. She will still open a shop and you get the pittance it earns all while being at your side. Unless you;r running a MOD to place NPC's at home, if you release her, she heads back towards the Sanctuary to stand at her favorite wall. There could be other ramifications i never encountered, but considering you just took on the Mistress of the Dark Brotherhood as a travel companion, it not so bad.

There's no reason to destroy the DB at all, unless you're ultra-sensitive to committing crimes in Skyrim or something. I found most of the characters in DB to be more likable than TG or winterhold college.

Hmmmn... dunno if "ultra-sensitive" applies to being ordered to kill innocent characters on command. Granted though, it's tough to build a character that is a complete innocent paladin-type anyway. But, all that aside, there is the matter of meeting Astrid for the first time and all you know is that her name is at the bottom of the orders that you've found on the various assassins that you killed in self-defence. (I counted 14 by the time I met her in the shack.) I really wanted Shadowmere again so I did the DB questline though I've regretted it a number of times. I'm at the point where I'm outfitting the sanctuary and I have to stop short of the torture equipment purchase which means I can't complete that part of the quest. Still, in my last playthrough that part really bothered me (I bought the equipment just to clear my journal) - I didn't even visit the Dawnstar sanctuary afterwards. The torture equipment didn't really fit in with my idea of who the DB was. (Why not have it in the Falkreath sanctuary?)