What are some good mid-range cards?

my sources are tomshardware and guru3d since anand tech proved unreliable in my experience, with direct quotes taken from hardware geeks and enthusiasts with quite a lot of experience and not based on a few benchmarks and internet deals. as benchmarks give you an overall idea (notice the overall in my post), gpu scores may change based on other used hardware like MB, really. if you want to continue this argument and further confuse the OP, I suggest you take it to the people at my source of info.

The vendor is not responsible for driver support, and the load of bugs that come with it. plus, nvidia releases beta drivers that actually improve performance during "big game" releases unlike their buggy amd counter parts. the new nvidia drivers are actually not a rehash, the fact that they atleast support newer games proves it. they are much more stable in general also.

oh, and sorry for not directly directing you to my source, I'm on mobile and I'm sure you'll find it in my links above.

Edited by Ihoe

if you want to continue this argument and further confuse the OP, I suggest you take it to the people at my source of info.

That's not a reasonable argument. You don't mean to suggest that if people disagree with your source, their only recourse is to write letters to your source, rather than to present another one, including a better one, do you?

TPU is more reliable than either (especially THG!) and here's it's page:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_7770_Vapor-X/22.html

Nevermind the Vapor-X. The current price match for 5770=6770 is the 7770, which is much faster. But you can see how even 7750 is at least a match for 6770. In the overall score, they are very close and generally even.

edit: I have no interest in the argument itself, since I know what I'm stating to be correct to a high degree of certainty. As for OP, like I said, he should either jump at the $170 560Ti deal if that is his top dollar, or put together enough for a 7850 ($220-$250) if he has some more set aside for less important PC upgrades.

Edited by FMod

if you want to continue this argument and further confuse the OP, I suggest you take it to the people at my source of info.

That's not a reasonable argument. You don't mean to suggest that if people disagree with your source, their only recourse is to write letters to your source, rather than to present another one, including a better one, do you?

edit: I have no interest in the argument itself, since I know what I'm stating to be correct to a high degree of certainty.

Nope, I actually didn't suggest you write letters specifically. Is it reasonable to believe that your source is better because of... What exactly?

And how do you prove what you say is correct? By your source? That's not a reasonable statement.

I have a feeling this is turning to a pissing contest.

Nope, I actually didn't suggest you write letters specifically. Is it reasonable to believe that your source is better because of... What exactly?

Better testing procedures and better reputation. Also, multiple other sources agreeing with it.

That said, the sources actually don't significantly disagree. Both Guru3D and THG place 7750 vs 5770 quite close most of the time with 7750 more significantly ahead in some modes. Guru3D's testing doesn't include Skyrim.

Another source that did this comparison is Xbit:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/graphics/display/radeon-hd-7770-ghz-edition-hd-7750_8.html#sect0

Click on the large table.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/graphics/radeon-hd-7770-ghz-edition-hd-7750/zfulltable.png

You can see how 7750 is a bit faster than 6770 or equal to it almost everywhere, the only exception being Dirt 3.

Edited by FMod

For, those who say that AMD drivers are bad, are you sure that you are installing them properly. On my laptop and class computers, every blue screen I've come across was due to improperly installing nVidia drivers. I've usually had to uninstall everything related to my graphics card then reboot into safe mode to use driver sweeper to remove what remained of the old driver among folders and in the registry. After that, I install the new driver. Some people might be lucky enough to not have problems with just installing the new video driver, I've never had been regardless of the card being nVidia or AMD.

As for good cards, the Radeon HD 6850 and 6870 have good performance for under $200, otherwise the GeForce GTX 560 TI and Radeon HD 7850 for the $200 to $300 range.