Sad :(

Rennn

I thought my install of Oblivion was great. I had a few dozen good mods, no bugs, no crashes, and it was great. Then, however, I began to notice that some textures didn't look quite right. I had previously installed Really Textured Normal Maps for Vanilla, my favorite texture mod. It looked like some of the new normal maps weren't showing up even though I already had Archive Invalidation Invalidated. I uninstalled Archive Invalidation Invalidated, the reinstalled it. The problem did not go away. About this time, I began to notice large pop-in from grass and trees. I installed a mod to supposedly fix that, but it didn't help on new or old saves. Meanwhile, my normal map problem got even worse; they began to never show up.

I deleted my Oblivion.ini and ran Oblivion to create a new one. I reinstalled Archive Invalidation Invalidated with the new Oblivion.ini. When I tried to start my game it crashed. I brought back a backup of my old Oblivion.ini, and when I started the game there was massive tree and grass pop-in and invisibility, on both old and new saves.

I uninstalled Oblivion and deleted the leftovers, and I've just finished reinstalling it. However, I don't want to go through that mess again. I'm going to post my mod list (in no particular order), and I'd appreciate any input on which mods could be causing invisible grass and tree pop-in, as well as archive invalidation failures. At this point, since I don't know of any mods that could be affecting those things, I'm on the verge of giving up and going to Skyrim. I really love Oblivion, but if these are engine bugs I don't know if I can deal with them. Help? :sad:

OBSE

Unofficial Oblivion Patch

Really Textured Normal Maps for Vanilla

Coronerra's Maximum Compatibility Skeletons

HGEC

Robert's Male Body v5

BBB

various armor replacers for Robert's Male and HGEC (these certainly shouldn't affect trees and grass)

OBGE

Pfroggys Wall Climbing

Deadly Clutter

Natural Environments

Unique Landscape Compilation omod

OBGE Liquid Water

Alluring Potions

Sounds of Cyrodiil

Book Jackets

This HD Lod texture: http://oblivion.nexusmods.com/mods/18497

Drop Lit Torches

Oblivion Stutter Remover (Could this have done something? I wish I knew what exactly the author did)

Oblivion Crash Prevention System

All the RealSwords packs (I really doubt these could affect any of the bugs)

Only Human

Harvest Flora (This doesn't affect grass or trees, only harvestable plants...)

Open Cities Classic

Oblivifall-Losing My Religion

Oblivifall-Let Us Talk

Oblivifall-Something is Not Right

Not a Bedroll

More Animals

MMPTC&C Gold Edition (Allows physics on most static objects, such as shelves, beds, and crates, but I modified mine to only affect barrels and crates)

Symphonic Variations

Symphony of Violence

2nd to 1st Person (This only changes menu text)

OBSE Spell Delete

CM Partners Mod Basic

Companion Friendly Inns

HUD Status Bars

Oblivion Unlevelled

Natural Faces

Player's Diary

3GB Patch

Intelligence Overhaul

Faster Spells

Disappearing Grass Fix for Oblivion and Nehrim (I use the Oblivion version, and I installed this only after I noticed grass disappearing)

Edit:

I reinstalled Oblivion and now I'm at 0.2 fps. Wtf? :(

Edited by Rennn

Looking at the timestamps of you OP and then your edit I'd say you installed the mods either all in one fell swoop or in big bunches. Best bet for troubleshooting is a slower more methodical approach.

Install the game, patch to version 1.2.0416 and play through the tutorial dungeon to the sewer exit. Make a save (either named save from the console or regular save from the Esc menu ... quicksave is a known problem causer). Exit the sewers, set your game settings to your liking and go to the IC Market District (this is to confirm vanilla game is working to your satisfaction at your chosen game settings). If you make another save at this point (not overwriting your previous save if you used the Esc menu save ... always save in a new slot) it can be a handy testing save down the road. Now start adding mods one at a time (or in related groups), testing in between. When and if problems surface you'll have a pretty short list of who the culprit could be (last mod added).

I know it sounds tedious, but sometimes slower is faster in the long run.

It looks like my low framerate was the result of a pending Windows update, so it's good that the low framerate wasn't being caused by Oblivion.

I'll have to do what you said, though I'm worried it won't help since I didn't notice problems before until I'd had all the mods installed for weeks.

OBGE. Some people swear by it, many people swear at it--including quite a few people who use it. It requires an enormous amount of tweaking to get right for each person's system. I can't say for sure, but it certainly sounds like that is the source of your issues. If you want more help, you'll probably be better off checking the OBGE thread on the official forums. I don't use it, myself, although some of the images I've seen with it are frankly breathtaking.

For the rest:

1) Don't uninstall/reinstall if you problems with Oblivion, unless you are 100% certain this will help. Otherwise, it's as though you simply backed up a film of a car crash in order to see it again.

2) Texture mods are different from others, in that they don't require an ESP. So they shouldn't conflict with any ESP-based mod.

3) As with nearly all mods, last loaded overrides mods that were loaded before that affect the same thing. So if you install ABC texture mod that modifies everything in the game, and then install DEF texture mod that modifies only Imperial City, you'll have ABC textures everywhere but in Imperial City, where you'll have DEF.

Hope some of that helps, and best of luck.