Oblivion OBMM Archive Invalidation question

CasanovaFly

Going to fire up Oblivion in the very, very near future, just trying to get all my mods in order for the first time. I'm using OBMM to create OMODs of everything and I had a question about ArchiveInvalidation: obviously I'm not copying/pasting things into the Oblivion directory so I won't edit the file manually so I was wondering how I did it with OBMM.

As an example: I'm trying to OMOD the Unofficial Official Oblivion Patch update 3.4.1 and one of the steps reads as such:

3.) Add the 5 following lines to ArchiveInvalidation.txt and save it:

Textures/Armor/ImperialWatch/M/Gauntlet.dds

Textures/Creatures/Zombie/ZombieHair.dds

Textures/Weapons/SilverShortSword.dds

Textures/Clothes/UpperClass/Shoes01.dds

Textures/Plants/MiscMoth01.dds

Now, again, trying to do this via OBMM. My question is how. I've gathered that I put everything into an OBMM, create the OMOD, go to Utilities and then Archive Invalidation but I don't know where to go to from there. Do I just choose BSA Redirection? Or do I choose BSA Alteration or Invalidation? And if so, what files types do I include? Just textures? And what of the other options?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is the only thing standing in the way of me and Oblivion right now.

The recommended method these days is BSA Redirection. If you do it in OBMM just click the radio button for BSA Redirection and leave all the other options at default. OBMM doesn't have a 'Save' function ... it does that when you close it, so close OBMM after you've clicked BSA Redirection.

I believe the instructions around adding stuff to ArchiveInvalidation.txt is old school stuff, not relevant if you use BSA Redirection. BSA Redirection is a do it once and forget about it solution ... no messing around with ArchiveInvalidation.txt every time you add a new replacer mod.

The recommended method these days is BSA Redirection. If you do it in OBMM just click the radio button for BSA Redirection and leave all the other options at default. OBMM doesn't have a 'Save' function ... it does that when you close it, so close OBMM after you've clicked BSA Redirection.

I believe the instructions around adding stuff to ArchiveInvalidation.txt is old school stuff, not relevant if you use BSA Redirection. BSA Redirection is a do it once and forget about it solution ... no messing around with ArchiveInvalidation.txt every time you add a new replacer mod.

Thanks. So just Utilities -> Archive invalidation -> select BSA Redirection and close to save? (your "click the radio button" comment confused me, so just clarifying)

Use Wrye Bash BAIN instead, Archive Invalidation will be automatically dealt with with no need for any input on your part.

What about BSA Patcher? Will it work?

Sorry about that ... yes just click BSA Redirection and then close OBMM.

Nephenee's suggestion concerning Wrye Bash has merit. WB's BAIN installation is far more robust than OBMM's OMODs, and depending on what type of mods you get into, it could be you'll need it just to get some mods working together at the same time. Yes it has a bit steeper learning curve than OBMM, but it will repay your efforts by being a far more versatile tool. Have a look through the Wrye Bash Pictorial Guide to get an idea about it.

Sorry about that ... yes just click BSA Redirection and then close OBMM.

Nephenee's suggestion concerning Wrye Bash has merit. WB's BAIN installation is far more robust than OBMM's OMODs, and depending on what type of mods you get into, it could be you'll need it just to get some mods working together at the same time. Yes it has a bit steeper learning curve than OBMM, but it will repay your efforts by being a far more versatile tool. Have a look through the Wrye Bash Pictorial Guide to get an idea about it.

Well, I'm about 50 mods deep into creating OMODs right now and feeling comfortable with OBMM so I'm gonna stick with that. You were right about the steep learning curve, though: took a look at it and was not intrigued. The manuals and how-to's I've come across thus far have not been very good for me, so I'll continue on. I'm assuming a combination of OBMM, BOSS and BSA Patcher should take care of everything for me.

I'm assuming a combination of OBMM, BOSS and BSA Patcher should take care of everything for me.

You assume wrong. There is no other program that has the same functionality as Wrye Bash, and without a Bashed Patch, there are many, many mods which are impossible to use together.

Just learn to use it. It will save you so many headaches down the road when you realize you do need it. Doing things the "easy" way now will just screw you over later on.

You assume wrong. There is no other program that has the same functionality as Wrye Bash, and without a Bashed Patch, there are many, many mods which are impossible to use together.

Just learn to use it. It will save you so many headaches down the road when you realize you do need it. Doing things the "easy" way now will just screw you over later on.

Well I'm doing my best to check the mods for an inconsistencies with one another. I'm going to finish out OMOD'ing everything and then go from there if it's unsuccessful. If you'd like to point me to a less confusing tutorial or provide one yourself I'd be glad to try and learn.

Well I'm doing my best to check the mods for an inconsistencies with one another. I'm going to finish out OMOD'ing everything and then go from there if it's unsuccessful. If you'd like to point me to a less confusing tutorial or provide one yourself I'd be glad to try and learn.

Have you even tried it? Just doing a Bashed Patch is quite straightforward, and the current build 297.1, while a bit laggy, works perfectly with BOSS. As for BAIN. You just drop the archive in the Bash Installers folder (any archive that can be converted to an OMOD will generally work with BAIN with no modifications) and installing.

I don't know what is so confusing about the Pictoral Guide, but its been quite some time since I actually had to look at it.

Wrye Bash is a better, more robust, more supported, more useful program than OBMM. There is literally NO reason to use OBMM except for a bare handful of mods that cannot be installed via BAIN due to complex scripting in their installers (only ones I use are DarkUI Darn, which could be made into a BAIN) and the Sensual Walks animaiton installer.

BAIN's ability to anneal files, restoring common files, and the Bashed Patch in Wrye Bash proper, makes it absolutely indispensable.

Well, I'm about 50 mods deep into creating OMODs right now and feeling comfortable with OBMM so I'm gonna stick with that. You were right about the steep learning curve, though: took a look at it and was not intrigued. The manuals and how-to's I've come across thus far have not been very good for me, so I'll continue on. I'm assuming a combination of OBMM, BOSS and BSA Patcher should take care of everything for me.

yea the wyre bash leaning curves pretty damn steep, and the only simple guide to use it doesnt explain squat to me, allways hated the bash, and last time i used it on a heavy moded oblivion the game constantly crashed no matter how many times i rebuilt the patch and the whole thing of it taking 5+ minutes every time installing/uninstalling a mod is just wired

isnt the main point of wyre bash to just let you use more than 255 mod? Is there really any point for people with limited understanding/patience to go thru all that hell if theyre not close to it, and what about using Tes4Edit instead?

also who else uses NMM archive invalidation instead of OBMM or Wyre bash

Edited by nisen