Why does Bethesda still not add nudity in games?

Gyiul

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Renn

there's almost no difference between a 17 year old and an 18 year old.

And using this logic, (reducto ad absurdium) if there is 'almost' no difference between a 17 year old and an 18 year old, then there is 'almost' no difference between a 16 year old and a 17 year old. And there is 'almost' no difference between a 16 year old and a 15 year old - following that chain, then there is 'almost' no difference between a 8 year old and a 9 year old. Therefore, there is 'almost' no difference between an 8 year old and a 18 year old. Based on that we should allow an 8 year old to drive because we allow an 18 year old. :tongue:

Those 'almosts' add up though. and, as the law has to make a determination somewhere they set it by age, NOT for each individual's level of maturity. Because they can easily differentiate by age, but it is very difficult to judge someone by their maturity level. I know people over 30 who are less mature than a 16 year old, and a (Very Few) 16 year olds that are more mature - in most things - than a 30 year old.

The fun thing about this, is that if you are 16, you can look forward to when you are older and can look back to see just how immature you really were at 16. :happy:

Bethesda doesn't include nudity for the simple reason that it would reduce their market, reduce their profits and potentially involve them is disputes with "the law". I agree with that choice; they're a game publisher, not an agent of social change. We all like to look at attractive naked bodies and if you want to do so in game, the modders (to judge from uploaded images) have already taken care of it. When I play a fantasy game, I don't necessarily want to do/see all the things I do/see in real life. Why would I? Why are we even having this discussion (again)?

@Stemin

Nudity is the default state of humanity. It 'needs' to be in games, because there's no reason to add perma-underwear. You're thinking of it reversed, as if nudity is something we would add to games. It's something that's deliberately removed only because of a false cultural bias, not the other way around.

Nothing's being added. It's a player model. Whether he's wearing armor, or clothes, or underwear, something goes on the model. If it were simply added, then people wouldn't have to make nude mods, the could simply delete the underwear.

Besides, I think you mistook my last post. The difference from M to AO is only 17 to 18 years old, that's why I used that example.

That's the only difference on paper. The public perception is a huge difference.

the argument works both ways,

why add Nudity?

why remove Nudity?

what is the point?

if you're talking realism, why are you trying to loot someone's underwear after you killed them?

how much of an impact on your gameplay is having or not having nudity going to make?

how much of the "story" does nudity impact?

and also I think,people should stop using the word realism for games based in a fantasy setting, there's a different word that I can't quite recall just yet (it's related to logical, or practical) that would suit it better (can someone help me with this one?)

but personally, I prefer the game without nudity

In fact if 'realism' was essentially what is being sought, based on the real life time periods Skyrim's elements are based on, underwear almost exclusively did not exist, aside from a very small number of cultural rarities....Underwear in fact makes little sense in Skyrim.....As for whether or not 'nudity' should be included, Bethesda won't and they have good reason not to as our culture has warped ideals (aka. my previous post), that's my personal bug in regards to lack of nudity, when excess violence is fine.....If Bethesda had included nudity I would have used the 'nude' Mods regardless myself, because going by the graphics in the vanilla game, I would have much preferred the Mods anyway.

In fact if 'realism' was essentially what is being sought, based on the real life time periods Skyrim's elements are based on, underwear almost exclusively did not exist, aside from a very small number of cultural rarities....Underwear in fact makes little sense in Skyrim.....

It doesn't make sense to cover yourself up in a country up north where half of the landscape is tundra? Why would you expose your delicates in a land like this?

Bethesda doesn't include nudity for the simple reason that it would reduce their market, reduce their profits and potentially involve them is disputes with "the law". I agree with that choice; they're a game publisher, not an agent of social change. We all like to look at attractive naked bodies and if you want to do so in game, the modders (to judge from uploaded images) have already taken care of it. When I play a fantasy game, I don't necessarily want to do/see all the things I do/see in real life. Why would I? Why are we even having this discussion (again)?

Well actually I see other games that add nudity with no problem (like God of War, Dante's Inferno, Duke Nukem Forever, etc) why can't Bethesda?

Also I haven't seen a modder make new female enemies like the Lamia, Daedra Seducers, and other nude Daggerfall enemies into Skyrim but they're only towards PCs only.

In fact if 'realism' was essentially what is being sought, based on the real life time periods Skyrim's elements are based on, underwear almost exclusively did not exist, aside from a very small number of cultural rarities....Underwear in fact makes little sense in Skyrim.....

It doesn't make sense to cover yourself up in a country up north where half of the landscape is tundra? Why would you expose your delicates in a land like this?

Your dedicates are not exposed if your wearing clothes....a flimsy piece of cotton strapped to your breasts and undercarriage offers absolutely no protection against environmental elements at all...the over clothes are what keep you warm and protected, not the meager strips of material underneath.