Why does Bethesda still not add nudity in games?

Gyiul

Is the question being asked.

Why suffer the ERSB blow when you can just have the nude mod community handle it?

Is the answer.

Now, why are we discussing historical fact about nudity and what the society thinks about nudity? It isn't relevant to the question asked, nor the fact given.

The only reason nudity isn't here, is because they would risk an AO rating, which would hurt sales. It's a loss/loss situation by adding nudity.

Can we now stop talking about irrelvant historical facts about a question that is answered by something painfully obvious?

Thank you.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why suffer the ERSB blow when you can just have the nude mod community handle it?

Is the answer.

Now, why are we discussing historical fact about nudity and what the society thinks about nudity? It isn't relevant to the question asked, nor the fact given.

The only reason nudity isn't here, is because they would risk an AO rating, which would hurt sales. It's a loss/loss situation by adding nudity.

Can we now stop talking about irrelvant historical facts about a question that is answered by something painfully obvious?

Thank you.

I agree with this. But some people still seem to need to justify their reasons why they think it should be added. If you feel you need to put this much effort into justifying something that is already available via mods, what are you really defending?

Arguing the historical significance of shaming prisoners is pretty weak, IMO. The nords don't trudge people around in their underwear, they trudge them around in ragged cloths and tunics, so it's obviously not part of their culture and has nothing to do with the real world.

I have nothing more to say in this thread about it. If you've made your argument and they don't change their mind, there isn't much point in continuing.

Edited by Stemin

Is the answer.

Thank you.

No we can't, because people asked how nudity was justified on the grounds of realism, they were answered and then as soon as the words shame and humiliation were mentioned, started with the sniggering "That's a bit sexual don't you think..." remarks. So I gave reasons why it was not. Nor did anyone say anything about trudging around in your underwear, I really have no idea where that came in.

I also don't necessarily buy the argument that nudity would have necessity get you an AO rating, it didn't for Witcher 2 and Age of Conan. Mind you, I guess we Brits did export our Puritans to the USA, so as I have said, if you had actually cared to read what I posted, I can see where Beth are coming from. I just deplore the climate that has been created that makes them have to take that stance, and even have NPC's make inane remarks about nudity, as happened once to me when I was struggling with the UI when changing my toons clothes and she was brieflly stuck naked while I was trying to make the thing work...

Is the answer.

Thank you.

I agree with this. But some people still seem to need to justify their reasons why they think it should be added. If you feel you need to put this much effort into justifying something that is already available via mods, what are you really defending?

Arguing the historical significance of shaming prisoners is pretty weak, IMO. The nords don't trudge people around in their underwear, they trudge them around in ragged cloths and tunics, so it's obviously not part of their culture and has nothing to do with the real world.

I have nothing more to say in this thread about it. If you've made your argument and they don't change their mind, there isn't much point in continuing.

Despite the fact that earlier in the thread you and others said something to the effect that you had yet to hear an argument about why nudity added realism. I repeat, as I have said on numerous occasions, I would rather the modding artists that we have handle the nudity, as Bethesda would make such a poor job of it (their taste in undies leaves a lot to be desired as well). I just dislike the kind of climate that leaves Beth without the choice.

Hehe, anyone who thinks you wouldn't ever have people get naked in a snowy climate - obviously not tried the rolling in the snow after a sauna.

Is the answer.

Thank you.

I think your dodging the fact the ESRB has gotten more lax on nudity these days where they now listed it on M rated games (seeing games like GoW, Dante's Inferno, Duke Nukem Forever, The Witcher 2, Dragon Age: Origins, etc) which they could do the same with Elder Scrolls but of course if someone tells Bethesda that because it seems that they're not aware of it. If these games can add nudity why can't Bethesda and what makes them so different?

As for the "It's up for the modders job" argument, of course people are also keep ignoring my main point about adding the nude Daggerfall enemies if it's even possible which I haven't seen anyone done done so far.

I honestly keep feel like I'm talking to a brick wall here.

Edited by Gyiul

My thoughts are it's completely unnecessary and I don't understand why you care. Aren't there enough nude mods out there?

The bottom line is, children play these games too.

The fact that developers are afraid to make the M-rated line clearer is exactly why kids are playing certain games when they shouldn't. Nudity would make it clear that an M-rated game isn't for kids. We need fewer Wanteds and Robocops and more Shindler's Lists .

Edited by PsxMeUP

(seeing games like GoW, Dante's Inferno, Duke Nukem Forever, The Witcher 2, Dragon Age: Origins, etc) which they could do the same with Elder Scrolls but of course if someone tells Bethesda that because it seems that they're not aware of it. If these games can add nudity why can't Bethesda and what makes them so different?

Steel lined brick wall if you need to repeat the examples that prove the ESRB rating to be an invalid point.

To everyone else...

Heres a question, why didn't Bethesda make the models nude(they already had the mesh done and cut holes in it to add the underwear, they used the full body for Astrid later) and make the underwear mesh an actual clothing item that can be removed if you want to see naked people? Would that be enough to satisfy the people that dont want nudity and those that do? To me that would be reasonable.

Mind you, I guess we Brits did export our Puritans to the USA

I got a good chuckle out of this. As an American I can tell you that our market is full if ignorant parents who are completely irresponsible. They buy their lovely children M rated games when they are nine and then see something they didn't expect and complain to the game company.

Bethesda does not want this risk especially when you consider that America is the primary market for most games. Why do you think there aren't CoD games based on the Australian military? Because the largest market is America and we want to play as our own boys in uniform, that's why. Bethesda, or any developer for that matter does not want to risk hurting their primary customers. And since we are just as Ginny says, a bunch of Puritans ( :P ) we take our nudity seriously.

I don't get it either and think that most people overreact to nudity.

(seeing games like GoW, Dante's Inferno, Duke Nukem Forever, The Witcher 2, Dragon Age: Origins, etc) which they could do the same with Elder Scrolls but of course if someone tells Bethesda that because it seems that they're not aware of it. If these games can add nudity why can't Bethesda and what makes them so different?

Steel lined brick wall if you need to repeat the examples that prove the ESRB rating to be an invalid point.

To everyone else...

Heres a question, why didn't Bethesda make the models nude(they already had the mesh done and cut holes in it to add the underwear, they used the full body for Astrid later) and make the underwear mesh an actual clothing item that can be removed if you want to see naked people? Would that be enough to satisfy the people that dont want nudity and those that do? To me that would be reasonable.

This bugs me because then you would have to tediously loot every single item individually except the underwear, because it's pretty obvious Bethesda would have the underwear be looted with the 'take all' function.

sorry but head cut and canibalism is for me all the worse when nudity.

And i stop this right her.

because everybody has it one mind, that is also normal for me, as nudity normal for me is because i came naked to the world, and had no shame.