Computer for the Parents

so ive come to the conclusion that i probably wont be able to build my PC this summer. i switched jobs since last summer and make much less, to the point where saving up for the PC i want just doesnt make sense. its better to wait for my tax return next Spring (which ill also be getting another some of money from starting a Phone account around the same time) between those two sums of money and whatever i have saved up, it will be MUCH easier to pay for he computer.

however, i still want to build one. ive told my parents i would build them one. They deserve one. theirs is old. a 1 Core CPU, 4GB of DDR2 RAM (which was 2 before i upgraded it) and a bunch of IDE cables lol. when their computer was crashed by a virus, i put Windows 7 on it, reinstalling the OS (from XP) because W7 is all i had. however, W7 is just too much for the PC really. its much slower then before. a little better once i added the extra RAM, but still. so feel kinds responsible for giving them i nice new fast PC.

anyways. my budget for this is kinda mixed. i have no real budget. its really as cheap as i can get it, however i dont want crappy $20 PSUs or anything. i still want quality. so its gotta be as cheap as possible, but a stable quality PC. which i peg somewhere between $600-$700. but as i said, this isnt something that should be taken "thats his maximum so lets use it up" thats just what i expect to pay, but i wont argue for cheaper. and may consider more expensive...maybe lol. I should also mention this is just a Home PC. email and internet mostly. no gaming. no video rendering lol nothing like that. just a simple home PC that id like to make as fast as possible and as future proof as possible.

this is what i have picked out so Far.

CASE

MOBO

CPU

RAM*

HDD

PSU

OPTICAL

OS

* I already have the RAM. i listed it for reference, but there is no changing it.

honestly the hardest part was picking out the Case lol. had to be something not too expensive, but idk, i just couldnt pick a $20 POS. it couldnt be anything fancy or flashy. and i wanted a front panel USB 3.0. i want them to have access to that for whenever it becomes mainstream. i know the mobo has it, but accessing the back of the PC really isnt feasible where the PC is under a desk and sorta trapped lol. which also means i couldnt get anything with sound proofing or anything because it gets hot in the summer esp under that desk im sure, nor nothin with a door because it couldnt be opened where the Tower is, nor would i want something in the way. my parents are simple people, that would only annoy them lol.

the PSU i realize is soo much more wattage then they would need. but (as youll see me say later, as this little paragraph is an Edited in) im not familiar with cheaper products, so im not sure whats a good cheap PSU. and this PSU was the cheapest PSU i knew of that was still very reliable.

everything else is subject to change if you have a better option for the price. i considered going with the i5-2300 for the CPU. but at $40 more, even if its slightly better, im not sure they would ever notice. its not like they are going to stress the CPU or put a load on it or anything. considering they have a single core CPU anything would be better. im still debating if i wanna get them a Quad Core (or more) or just a Duel Core. another thing to think, is they will probably have this PC for the next 10 years (assuming it lasts) so anything i can give them thats a little better then what theyd need, would truly be future proofing it for them.

anyways, i appreciate anyones opinions. because ive always done research for my PC, ive always looked at the higher end products, and am slightly less familiar with the lower end, house hold products, and what good or whats worth it. im expecting (or rather hoping) FMod will pop in as hes always had good opinions on cheap builds. but ill take anyones considerations hahaha.

thanks again!

Edited by hoofhearted4

the Fractal case wont work because it has a door. and id rather stick to a traditional case. more for their sake. they dont like change. and i could tell them the case is no different a thousand times over but it wont matter to them. traditional tower case its gotta be :P

appreciate your input. i have no objection to going with llano either. nice suggestion :)

Or, a used case - they are easy to come by as many people upgrade the entire computer when something breaks & put the old one - with a perfectly good case in storage. I have at least a dozen in my shed that I should really haul off.

My own preferred sources for new cases are New Egg and Tiger Direct. Both have some inexpensive traditional looking cases.

The fractal case is really quiet and very well built, I've got its huge brother and am very satisfied.

But a mini-ITX case with power supply is probably better money wise

Edited by Erik005

I would get a modular power supply, the direct current ones can be quite loud if ya know what i mean..

Personal experience.

even cheaper then the case mention above :teehee:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817152040

and gpu if your parents aren't the gaming type, i don't trust the built in stuff, what if the gpu fails..??

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814121442

case

A fiew steps down from the one i have :teehee:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811129042

Edited by Thor.

no GPU card necessary. they dont play games. and the integrated wont fail. esp since its not going to be pressured in any ways shape or form.

yea, i dont think the Antec case has front panel USB 3.0. not a big deal as i could probably buy a separate USB 3.0 front panel for the case. but if i can get one for it, thatd be nice. its just for them. easy access being on the front. i was looking at the NZXT Source 210. cheap, and nothing fancy, but not front USB 3.0....idk maybe it doesnt matter. i cant imagine them needing to hook anything up to a front panel USB 3.0 thats going to need to be hooked and unhooked a lot. anything USB 3.0 theyd have could probably just be left to hook up in the back to the mobo

so far the Case i choose is the one im liking the most lol. but i really like looking at what you guys have to offer. the Fractal case is nice. i was looking at it for the longest time (before i decided on the Corsair 550D over the R3...not that ive built my PC yet lol)

and honestly never realized that PSU wasnt modular haha. im slipping in my young age. so found a better PSU. Seasonic! cheaper and modular. Updated the OP to reflect this change

Edited by hoofhearted4

I sent you a pm for the gpu, although mentioning here that they aren't the gaming type

The Llano quad is a good choice for you.

Edited by Thor.

what about this CPU and Mobo?

i noticed some reviews of people saying that CPU is slow and blah. but others saying its perfect for those who its meant for like HTPCs. im assuming that those ones who are saying its slow are used to their 4.5Ghz CPUs and whatnot. considering my parents would be upgrading from a single core CPU and 4GB ddr2 RAM and and old IDE HDD, whats slow to enthusiasts is going to be blazing to them. but still curious as to what you guys think? this listing i got now is down to $598 which is fantastic. ill probably be able to build it by the end of this month/beginning of next :D

another Case im looking at is the NZXT Source 210 Elite it has USB 3.0 (though im assuming its a pass through since its only one) and it has a mount for a 2.5" drive, which is what the drive i want is, so no added adapters are needed. and its cheap which is nice. the Source 210 had good reviews, and while this Elite has less actual reviews, i cant imagine anything would be different in terms of quality. its comes with two exhaust fans, but as long as they arent loud, ill probably just leave them as is.

Edited by hoofhearted4

Go for it, its care free and if they ever get into gaming, atleast it capable of playing Skyrim at meduim settings.. Just an example. Edited by Thor.