Computer for the Parents

Depending on what they want to do and how computer literate they are, you might be able to get away with just a raspberry pi.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi

The main limitation of the chip is memory and storage (since both USB ports are taken by keyboard+mouse). It can however still be used to browse the web and perform some document publishing capabilities.

Or this one...

http://apc.io/

Which is a similar premise but is slightly higher spec.

These sorts of card computers seem to be getting better and better as time goes on, The hard part is really just in getting a proper enclosure for them. But that's where those metals shop skills come in handy... Unless your highschool canceled the program because of a silly thing like funding and safety concerns. Playing with dimensioned sheet metal, press molding, and welding should be skills that everyone should learn.

I think they would need bigger storage then a sd card, especially if they are going to run windows 7 or even xp :happy:

You might be able to run windows XP on the second card I linked. Provided that you hooked up an external drive with it installed and designated for booting. It'd be slow as hell though.

That's why these cards run either Linux or a lower profile OS. Doesn't need the processing or the RAM requirements. A computer for less than $100 would naturally require a bit of adjustment.

But just think if you managed to network a couple of them somehow..

as for the Raspberry Pi thing. ive heard a little bit of it, on here i think. but ya. gunna go with a nice normal computer :P

my parents arent very computer literate. my Dad just started going on a laptop just a couple months ago. my mom, while slightly better, still is nothing amazing with PCs. shes good at solving problems though. Google is her friend. but yea. if they ever went to anything like Linux, theyd be lost. even simple changes like changing browzers would be hard for them....ironically, not my dad soo much. hes soo new to PCs that a change wouldnt be as hard for him. my Mom however, whos been using PCs for a while now, would be killed by even the slightest changes. :P

Edited by hoofhearted4

YAAY now i can build a pc under 300$ lol, coupled with Mobo, HD, psu, and case.. Thanks to that all in one amd chip :teehee:

it'll certainly save me money when someone asks for a low cost pc.:thumbsup:

Edited by Thor.

what about this CPU and Mobo?

i noticed some reviews of people saying that CPU is slow and blah.

It's a little slower than a high-end quad-core Phenom. No match for i5-2500K obviously. But then it's half the price, with 60% the CPU performance and 200% the GPU performance vs 2500K.

Intel chips also have a GPU, but even if you don't care about its performance, then come the drivers. Nvidia drivers >= AMD GPU drivers >> Intel GPU drivers. They're bad, Intel knows they're bad, but since the people who care the most have a discrete GPU, Intel chooses to be the ones to care the least.

I would get a modular power supply, the direct current ones can be quite loud if ya know what i mean..

Personal experience.

They're all direct current. Modular just means you can remove some of the cables. Doesn't really affect anything apart from aesthetics.

I suppose you had experience with a $100 modular PSU and a $10 "came with the case" - but it's not modularity that made the difference.

yea, power isnt all too important. it just needs to be good, and needs to be good enough to last for a while lol, since the next time they get a new PC, it wont be an upgrade, id be a new PC. so not looking to make sure its all that upgradeable either.

but do you think a Phenom would be better then a Llano for the price? if so which one? id really like to stay Quad Core. it might not matter much now, but down the road it could.

recently built a rig for my Mom to play those Hidden object games

NZXT Guardian 921 (She really wants case to look cool!)

a 10$ 400W unknown power supply

Core 2 E6600(used)

a G41 chipset mobo that supports DDR3 and PCI EXP x16

4gb Corsair Vengeance

a GT440 1gb

a WD caviar blue 500gb

LG sata DVD COMBO

all above around 450$