Help! Quicksaves crashing my game!

Kasz94

I have come across a really bad problem. Whenever i try to load one of my quicksaves it crashes Oblivion.

I have noticed how it only affects a particular character and that when i go back to a much older save file, the quick saves work just fine.

This leads me to worry my save game might be corrupted in some way! Does anybody know about this problem? It's really frightening me the thought of losing this character!

Please help if you know anything at all!

EDIT : Upon further inspecting i have realized this is actually a problem where i simply cannot load from within the game. To a quicksave or otherwise.

Loading from the main menu works just fine though.

Even still, it only affects 1 character.

Edited by Kasz94

Don't use quicksaves. Ever.

Am i f***ed?

Can you load new, non-quicksaves from the menu? Loading from within the game is always iffy, its advised to quit and restart when you need to reload.

And to not use Quicksaves. Get an Auto-saving mod, such as Streamline or Auto-save and Time

I can load anything just fine from the menu. And on other characters ( or a way way WAY older save from this character ) can also still load from within the game.

Quicksave is a known corrupter of save files. Take Nephenee's (and my) advice and stop quicksaving. Use either save from the Esc menu, never overwriting a save (in other words always save in a new slot) or use named saves from the console ('save <MySaveName>' without the quote marks or brackets). When you notice that the save menu starts to get a bit sluggish opening either delete a bunch of old saves or move them to a folder outside of your saves folder (found in 'Users\[username]\Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Saves' for Vista and Win 7 ... 'Users\[username]\Documents\My Games\Oblivion\MyArchivedSaves' would be good enough).

I have also read that loading from within the game can cause problems.

Back when I was in the same boat as you from using quicksave and quickload I was in the land of Crash-a-lot. Since I have adopted good save habits and started only loading a game from the main menu (I always exit to desktop and restart but I think just backing out as far as the main menu would probably suffice) that same character now has well over 1300 hours gametime and would be considered generally stable. Mind you, I don't use any of the big overhauls but that character has over a hundred mods in his mod list (mostly armor/clothes and houses, along with a few gameplay changing mods and some homegrown mods). I try to remember to save once an hour (using the methods I outlined before) and generally I save and exit to the desktop every three hours or so. I'll only load an autosave in those rare occasions I've neglected to save recently and don't want to lose my progress.

I don't use anything like Streamline ... just vanilla Oblivion save and load.

I guess i can change my ways. Atleast the save game still works. I guess i just feel there's somewhat of a "stain" on the save right now.

It can also be annoying when i am recording for my Youtube Channel.

But nevertheless, i can work around this.

I guess i can change my ways. Atleast the save game still works. I guess i just feel there's somewhat of a "stain" on the save right now.

It can also be annoying when i am recording for my Youtube Channel.

But nevertheless, i can work around this.