Help! Quicksaves crashing my game!

Kasz94

If it's any consolation for you, my current old guy's saves are still derived from those old unstable saves. It took some time, but gradually good saving habits 'saved' those old saves, and brought them to their current state.

I'm not a slave to the clock when saving (hence the need to occasionally use an autosave), but if I think "Hmm ... when did I last save" it's probably time.

1) Avoid quicksaves and autosaves.

2) In general, avoid loading a saved game from within the game. None of the ES games are really optimized well for memory, and you've already used a large junk of what you've got just to run the game. Save, exit, reload.

3) I didn't see whether you were on the PC, or not. If you are, get the Unofficial Oblivion Patch and the Unofficial SI Patch. Both resolve tons of bugs still left in the game after Bethsoft moved on.

4) Get Wrye Bash. It will check for, and repair, certain types of saved game errors. It will also help ensure that a saved game to which you add/remove mods are properly coordinated--so that the game doesn't load expecting a mod to be there which isn't.