[LE] Papyrus won't compile ANYTHING? Here's the probable fix.

Darklocq

Followup note: It seems that the best way to get two separate installations of Skyrim (either version), for playing and for development, is to tell Steam to create a second Steam Library, and install the other copy in that new library. This requires that the system have at least two SSDs/HDDs; modern versions of Steam will not allow you to create an alternative Steam Library on the C: drive, for no apparent reason.

While Skyrim LE's CK seems to work fine in simple copies of the game (e.g. Desktop/Skyrim_Dev, or whatever), Skyrim SE's CK requires that it be launched with Steam, and Steam is only going to recognize one of its own installations of the game, so just copying it won't work. It has to be a Steam-installed copy.

PS: I've said elsewhere that one should not allow Steam to install Skyrim Script Extender, but you should install it manually from http://skse.silverlock.org/ instead. Otherwise, Steam can update it on the fly, which tends to break a lot of mods that need to be updated for a new version of SKSE/SKSE64, and this in turn renders your existing savegames unusable (unless you successfully revert to the older version of SKSE). And it will overwrite any SKSE scripts, some of which might have been customized by later installations of things. That by itself may result in some Papyrus compilation failures, depending on exactly what you're doing. This "changing out from under you" problem seems to affect SE more than LE, but still – better safe than sorry. Don't update SKSE after playing until you are ready to start a new playthrough, and are aware of any mods that need to be upgraded to deal with SKSE changes, and any that need to be reinstalled because they overwrite one of SKSE's default scripts. The safest bet is to remove any existing SKSE from your Steam application's LIbrary list, so you can never install it that way even by accident.

Edited by Darklocq

• 2 months later...

Hi folks.

I have added the tesv_papyrus_flags.flg file so I no longer get that particular error when trying to compile, but have moved onto stage 2 of the error list:

Starting 1 compile threads for 1 files...

Compiling "dtm7"...
D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\Keyword.psc(4,33): unknown type location
D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\Keyword.psc(8,45): unknown type location
D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\Actor.psc(27,49): unknown type globalvariable
and so on. Those files such as keyword.psc are present in the stated folder. I have extracted the stuff from scripts.rar to the correct location.
After failing to compile, I can see a script called dtm7.psc in the data\scripts\source folder but can't see it in CK. Tried copying dtm7.psc to data\scripts folder with no effect.
Not sure what I should do with SkyrimEditor.ini; it looks OK to me:
[Papyrus]
sScriptSourceFolder = "Data\Scripts\Source"
sScriptCompiledFolder = "Data\Scripts\"
sCompilerFolder = "Papyrus Compiler\"
bPerforceEnabled = 0
iMinMemoryPageSize = 128
iMaxMemoryPageSize = 512
iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes = 76800 ;75kb
Any ideas?