Modfusion! a new FONV mod installer.

Cyberlazy

Hello, Today I bring to you: Modfusion, a new mod installer for fallout new vegas.

Now, why do we need another mod installer you ask?

Because I think it can be done better, easier, more configurable and with better features then what we currently have.

To that end, I ask for you to help beta test this mod installer I have created

Offical release is now online!

To use: Just download, extract to a new directory, and run Modfusion.exe

Currently it comes with my mods Leveled List Organizer, Case, Craft pack, Craft master and Improved LOD Noise Texture. Patches are automatically detected, merged together and installed for:

Honest hearts, Dead money, Old world blues, Lonesome road, Gun Runners Arsenal, Classic fallout weapons, Shrapnel and Weapon Mods Expanded - WMX.

All without any user interaction whatsoever. Additional patches and mods are easy to add via script

It merges all the patches into a single ESP to massively reduce load order: over 20 different esps merged into one esp file in the above example with all those mods active. Only 4 .ESM's are left, one for each major mod that adds content

Try it out, tell me what you think, report back any errors reports or any problems with the resulting mods it installs.

Tell me what features you think I should implement.

My main goals where to further simplify mod installs into requiring no interaction for even highly complex installs of multiple mods for basic users, while still allowing power users to select between a large number of tweaks and changes without a cluttered load order. It will also alert users when they have an out of date version of a mod when they install a mod that needs a newer version for its patches and tell them where to get the update. I did not want a GUI but a scripted install process as I wanted to hide choice from basic users while providing choice for power users and allowing total reinstalls whenever needed without having to remember each and every little setting.

Later on I plan to add more record manipulation and user configuration to the install process. For example, a mod could be marked to only override the prices of items. It could then have a config variable in its ini that users can change to scale all prices or several variables, one to scale each subset of items. Another mod could be marked to only override the names of items or the weights, etc.

It should also allow people to load many more mods without running into the 140 mod limit that fallout becomes unstable at, without worrying about load order and what patches need to be installed and if all the mods are up to date. Infact modfusion has No Limit on the number of mods it can merge.

Below is a copy of the readme included with modfusion.

PS: the reason I am releasing it here in the forums first is I am not sure its fit yet for general release, its very early beta and I just want a few peoples feedback on it to further improve it before release.

Edited by Cyberlazy

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Modfusion, the latest in fallout new vegas mod installers

Modfusion, designed for ultra simple no user interaction installs while still allowing massive reconfigurability for power users.

Why use modfusion? Modfusion does not just install mods, it provides the power of Mod Fusion to all your mods, reducing load orders and automatically installing patches upon detection of required mods or DLC. It also has version checks to ensure all your mods are up to date and alerting users if they need to update a mod to use the patches provided by another mod.

Modfusion allows you to pass 140 installed mods with ease as modfusion can merge an unlimited number of mods into a single file. No limits.

While not all mods can be automatically merged with modfusion, Most tweaks, patches and rebalances can be. If a mod is created correctly it should only need at most a single .esm or .esp to hold all its new records, modfusion will take care of all the patches.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to install and use Modfusion:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Create a new directory for Modfusion anywhere on your computer.

Extract Modfusion and mods to that directory. Do not extract to Fallout New Vegas or Fallout New Vegas\data

Run Modfusion.exe

Done! its that simple. No interaction needed. Modfusion will detect all installed mods and install them. If you are a power user and wish to further configure your mods features, edit the .ini that has the mods name in your Modfusion directory. Each mods settings will be contained there.

If Modfusion reports any errors, Please forward them to me and I will help resolve them if I can.

Please include all text Modfusion outputs exactly as shown.

How to uninstall a mod

Uninstalling a mod with Modfusion is as easy as can be. You simpley drag and drop a mods ini file onto Modfusion.exe

select multiple files by holding ctrl or shift to enable/disable them all at once. Disabled .ini files will be renamed .dis to show you they are disabled.

You can also move or delete mods ini file out of the directory Modfusion.exe is in or open it in a text editor and set "enabled=yes" to "enabled=no"

Then just run Modfusion and the mod will be removed automatically, even if you delete the mod.

Any files overwritten by that mod that are added by another Modfusion mod will also be restored automatically.

How to configure Modfusion

Modfusion is controlled by a series of ini files.

Each mod has a corresponding ini file in the Modfusion directory that tells Modfusion if it should install the mod or not and what configuration settings to apply.

By droping a mods configuration ini onto modfusion.exe you can enable or disable it via extention renaming.

Some mods will have additional configuration prams in there config ini for you to alter how the mod works or what modules it installs.

This program will make the following changes:

It will write to your AppData\Local\FalloutNV\plugins.txt file to add mods to your load order

It will write to Fallout New Vegas\Data to install and uninstall mods.

It will create 3 files on its own: modfusion.dat, modfusion.log and modfusion.esp. modfusion.dat is the uninstall data. modfusion.log is the log of the last execution in detail. modfusion.esp is the result of merging multiple mods.

It may change your ini files if a mod requests it. If it does, it will make a backup copy of the ini file if one does not exist named filename.bak, it will also restore the origional values of your ini when you uninstall/deactivate the mod that made the change.

How to uninstall modfusion

Use modfusion to uninstall all mods that modfusion installed. You can do this by draging and droping them onto modfusion.exe to disable them or just delete them all.

Run modfusion. All changes will be reverted.

Delete modfusion.

FAQ:

Q: Will Modfusion work with FOMM/NMM?

A: Modfusion works fine with FOMM. I have not used NMM so I am not sure about that program, but it should work fine if NMM reads plugins.txt.

Q: Will Modfusion mess up my saves?

A: No, Modfusion merges are designed not to merge any records that are referenced in saves. Hence why you may still need a single .esp or .esm file for mods you use if they add new content, this is what your saves reference.

Q: Can I use modfusion to install mod X?

A: Currently, Modfusion only supports a few mods. More support will be added as the beta progresses if interest in shown in this new installer method

Q: Can Modfusion be used for other games?

A: No, Modfusion is currently only for fallout new vegas. I have no plans to port it to other games as I do not play them, so it will not get ported unless someone wants to help with Modfusion and port it. Modfusion deals with records directly so its not simple to port, all differences in records between the game engines must be taken into account.

Q: I am a mod author, Can I make a Modfusion install for my mod?

A: Yes, However note Modfusion is early beta and only supports a limited number of records. It will alert you if you try and merge a file with unsupported records. If you need a record type supported please contact me and I will add it to my to do list. Multiple authors requesting the same record will move it up my to do list, so feel free to ask even if you see other authors have requested it.

Q: I am a mod author, Can you add feature X?

A: Most likely yes, Contact me. Modfusion is a mod installer written by a mod author for mod authors and users. I want it to have all the features needed to install even the most complex of mods automatically without user interaction.

Edited by Cyberlazy

Early testing of this looks great! The steps I want to see before using it with my main NV install are -

1) easy, clean uninstallation that doesn't blow up NMM (which I run, so I can test under my test install)

2) support for either HTRP or its replacement :-)

And I'll continue to assist with testing, of course. :-)

What kind of uninstall options are you looking for? I was thinking to uninstall a mod, you could drag its ini file onto the exe and it would change the ini internaly to be disabled. (power users can manualy edit)

For uninstall of the program, I think a bat file would suffice.

Been working on getting HTRP to merge. So far got all the files working, Had to support quiet a few more records.

Next I need to work on adding some configuration options to the main ini... And comments.

Edited by Cyberlazy

Sounds good to me. The uninstall method is not one that would have occurred to me, but it completely brilliant. My only concern is how the uninstall should handle files that it had replaced, so that it leaves the game environment in a working state. I know that NMM keeps track of the various mods that alter the same files, so that when a mod is removed, the file is put back to the state that other mods (that are still installed) had placed it in, not the vanilla state. This way the uninstall of one mod doesn't effectively uninstall portions of others. The trouble is I'm not even sure of the best logic to be applied, much less how to go about doing so. You're amazing at this sort of thing, so I'll lay this Gordian knot at your feet and see what you do with it.

Can't wait to see HTRP incorporated!

Not going to like what I'm going to say. But I'll tell you anyway.

I think you should focus all your efforts in the patches installation feature based on the current load order. To install mods we the power users already have Wrye Flash (Yay, I'm a power user! LOL). BAIN is unmatched by any other application to install mods. You can install hundreds of mods with just one click. I can throw hundreds of files inside the data folder manually to test mods quickly, and BAIN can clean all those files with just one click. And so I could go on listing the hundreds of other features. And yes, I know that FOMM can do things that Wrye Flash can not do. But I already know how to edit a text file to make work an UI mod. ¬¬

What I mean is that you should focus on a feature not available in any other application. Because right now, to install a mod like WMX for example, we are forced to install dozens of patches for this mod to play nicely with the rest of the mods in our load order. And dozens of patches means a nightmare for the load order!!

That's the potential that attracts me about your application. Double click and Boom!, 20 patches installed at the same time on a single esp loaded at the end of the load order. Although, I'm also very attracted to the idea of adding tweaks like game settings, the ability to sort items by renaming and the variation in size of the NPCs *wink*. Yes, I know, there are plenty of mods that do all that. But none of them work optimally. Because either they make use/abuse of scripts that run almost constantly and/or they are just simple overrides that can cause conflicts.

Well, just my two cents.

Keep up the good work!!

PS and off topic: What the heck is HTRP!? Man, I hate acronyms!!

:thumbsup:

Yep, I see the patching feature as the most important, followed by power configurability. My merge functionality can do even more then mod configuration menu

HTRP = Hard type rebalance pack.. a mod of mine that did not get very much attention, likey due to it bloating load order.

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/43985

People just don't seem to like the term 'hard type' as well. This installer will make it easier to install/configure.

Hello All,

Not as much a fan of CalibrX as I thought I would be, and so I find myself checking out CASE and CRAFT. I found this link in the CRAFT forums and dropped in to say... WOW.

Being able to reduce my load order is really important. If this program can do what it looks like it can, this will change my gaming life.

FYI, I probably fall somewhere between a noob and power user. I use NMM to manage installation/uninstallation and load order, BOSS to make suggestions (which I take about 75% of the time), and FNVEdit and FNV Plugin Utility to edit/merge/tinker with mods. I always download whatever mods I want and create custom FOMODs that have the setups that I want (thought I do like scripted installers sometimes). But I haven't really messed with WyreFlash yet since I don't want to have to start from scratch with my modding process, and the documentation seems pretty esoteric for someone who can't mod, script, or program worth a damn. Like I said--not quite a power user. In fact, I rely on gopher's mod clinic videos more than I would care to admit. It's nice to learn something useful without being talked down to like a fourth-grader, which I've experienced on some forums (not on the nexus though).

Anyway, I'm currently trying to drop my load order from 160+ plugins down to something around 90 max. When I first downloaded CASE, CRAFT, and HTRP and took a look at the sheer number of plugins, I nearly chucked them in Recycle Bin. While I can usually figure out how to merge mods, given enough time and effort and rigorous error testing, I really want to actually PLAY New Vegas. A program that could actually create custom masters and plugins is something I would enthusiastically support--and I mean financially.

From my perspective as a "more than a noob, less than a power user," here is what would make it most useful for me:

1. Ease of Uninstallation: I agree 100% with pippinstrano's last post. The reason I religously use a mod manager (even to the point of creating a fomod when I could just drag a single esp to the DATA folder) is because I like the ability to revert my mod setup to its previous configuration rather than back to vanilla or worse. I was not quite as disciplined with my Fallout 3 install and broke my game constantly. A mod uninstaller that can put the DATA folder back to the state it was in before the mod was installed is a must for guys like me.

2. Small Number of Plugins: It seems your program already does this. I actually don't know since I'm still getting up the courage to run it. I'll probably make a backup copy of my data folder first just in case (see above point). But, yeah, the fact that this mod reduces the number of required plugins is a great big freakin deal!

3. Good Documentation: As a non-modder/scripter/programmer, none of this is intuitive for me. I live and die by documentation. One of my greatest frustrations is with the FNV Plugin Utility--amazing program... HORRIBLE documentation. It's like reading Stephen Hawking. I can recognize the brilliance of what ScripterRon has done, but I still want to blow my brains out after five minutes.

If I may, I would like to humbly offer the following suggestions:

Either...

1. Have Modfusion create custom .esm/.esp files, but leave the other files separate (textures, meshes, etc.) to be installed with a mod manager that has clean uninstallation capability. That would be awesome and would REALLY help instill the confidence that I'm not going to have to spend HOURS fishing through my DATA subfolders should I want to update/uninstall/modify the original installation.

Or...

2. Have Modfusion create CUSTOM FOMOD's, based on the current mods etc. Pretty much the same thing it currently does, but rather than installing the files it would create a zip/rar/7z/fomod that can be installed by a mod manager with ease. In my opinion, this would allow maximum flexibility for the end user, while not scarring anyone away who doesn't like running an .exe file that "puts stuff" in your data folder. That's going to send some folks running for the hills. Those of us who aren't geniuses spend a LOT of time trying to figure out how to build our perfect game and aren't about to do anything we can't easily undo.

I actually don't know if option 2 is even possible; but then again, I didn't know that even what you have already done was possible before I saw it. Seriously, the talent and skill of the modding community here is absolutely amazing, and it's a pleasure watching what you guys come up with.

P.S. Thanks, Odyseus77, for posting your load order on the CRAFT forum, BTW. Nice. You have renewed my hope that I, too, may one day get all those Project Nevada and DLC patches merged.

You guys all rock! Thanks for doing what you do. The rest of us appreciate you more than you know.

Well, I was basically thinking that apon uninstall of a plugin, it would read the install log (To be created), remove all files it installed, then reinstall the rest of your modfusion plugins. This way you know your game has been restored to a state it would be if you never installed the plugin at all including if that plugin overwrote other plugins.

Only problem is that does not take into account FOMM/NMM installed plugins, if they install files you'll have to uninstall/reinstall them if you want there files to override a modfusion mods files. (or just make a new modfusion installer for it)

I don't really see the custom fmod thing being practical. I want my program to stand alone, some people can't even use FOMM/NMM it just crashes on them.

I don't want 'run program, run other program, load file, install file, run game'

I just want 'Run program. Run game'. Any simpler would require me to visit the users house to do it for them.

Really, its just installing a mod, it should not be complex at all, as for the automatic install, if you went to the trouble of downloading a mod, then extracting it, Well I think we can safely assume you want it installed too.