Another update...

thumbincubation

Dude, seriously. I was just playing the game, got the usual CTD from my absurd load order and the update started silently in the background. Can't find logs for it anywhere. If this update is related to Creation Club stuff I'm going to be very angy. No man should have their daily khajit with argonian intercouse voyerism interrupted by Creation Club.

LOL, that's more disturbing each time I read it.

I'm just roleplaying as an avid fan of the lusty argonian maid. It happens.

Anyway, I think it is just creation club s#*!. Just found this post: https://www.gottabemobile.com/skyrim-special-edition-1-5-53-update-whats-new/

Sounds about right, but I'm hoping this isn't going to be their new "norm," to allow and encourage modding, then spend their time pulling the rug out from under everybody trying to mod.

For anyone who doesn't know, there's a way to roll your exe back to the previous version, if you get caught by a surprise update. There are a few different explanations of the method here https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/4979480-skse/page-86

and it's a good idea to create a "Skyrim SE exe backup" folder, in a safe directory, copy and paste your SkyrimSE.exe and SkyrimSELauncher.exe to it. If there's an update, move (don't delete) the new one and replace it with a copy of these, and it will run again, until SKSE is updated. Once that happens, put the new ones back, so the versions will match.

Also, in steam, right-click Skyrim SE in the library, go to properties > updates, and set it to only update when launched. I try to stay in offline mode as much as possible, in steam, but if I go online to check mail or something, I don't want it downloading updates when I do.

And the other thing to remember, for anyone like me who had to learn the hard way, is not to leap immediately when SKSE does update, as it now has. Wait till your SKSE-dependent mods are all on board with the change before you update anything. That's things like ECE if you have it, CACO...somebody more organised than I am ought to do a checklist.

And for you old hands now shaking your heads and muttering "obviously," you would be really surprised. I wish I had seen a comment like this before my last two updates. It would have saved me a lot of frustration.

Lethiel

Amen to that, Lethiel.

Kavohzein, I end up having to clean my masters after every update. Fortunately, there is a step-by-step guide, here on the forums, thanks to Alt3rn1ty. It can be found here

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/5381485-guide-manual-cleaning-skyrim-and-skyrim-special-edition-master-files/

The way it usually goes for me is update the game and SKSE. Re-clean my masters. Run LOOT, let it rearrange my load order, then run Wrye Bash and rebuild my patch. (I have several mods that change leveled lists, so I need the bashed patch. I also use some of the tweaks, such as being able to train 10 times per level, rather than 5, etc.) Once the patch is rebuilt, I run them all together, in SSEedit, run a filter to look for conflicts, then I go in and double check the conflicts, remove any extra inventory that I don't want the NPCs to have, and I'm ready to play again.

Unfortunately, I have no experience at all with Mod Organizer, and only a tiny bit with NMM. I've been kind of holding out for Vortex.