So...I should be getting shivering isles in a few days....

scarycave

Is their anything I should do before it? Will it affect my mods I upload from now on? Will their stuff get added to the construction tool automatically? Do I only have to use the CD to install it once?

-The suspense- :ohdear:

Yeah, so the title sums it up. I'm just wondering if it's going to change the game drastically? I know it's an add-on but I want to make sure it's not going to conflict with my mods I uploaded or will conflict with people who don't have the add-on. I kind of want to keep my mods open to everyone.

Should I also complete the main-game, or be at a certain level? I think theirs a patch I have to download.

Are you on the disk version of the game or the Steam version? I'm not sure how the Steam version would handle adding SI afterwards but the disk version will require a complete uninstall of the game and then re-install with SI before you patch up to version 1.2.0416.

Unfortunately yes.

Bumms me out too. I had SI when I first installed Oblivion but I thought "Nah, I don't want to do that yet" so I didn't install it right away. I patched Oblivion alone up to the latest and went on my merry way. Much later I learned that you can't add SI to a fully patched game.

The reason is because SI doesn't work like the other DLCs. Battlehorn, Vile Lair etc. all work exactly the same as any other mod ... an esp and resource files. SI actually replaces the original version Oblivion.exe with a new one that has the SI changes incorporated into the new exe. The esp included with SI is just an empty placeholder.

Here's a link to Bben46's Oblivion reinstall procedure. Don't miss the instructions near the start of 'Uninstall' about backing up your Data and saves. I'm not sure if it would be critical running the registry cleaner if you are re-installing to the same location (e.g. C:\Games\Oblivion). If you are changing install location registry cleaning is important.

Okay, so it pretty much just wants me to copy my Oblivion files, Uninstall, ReInstall, Play the game and save, Then Add shivering Isles, The Patch and then plop all my data files back in? Honestly I really don't care if my saves are erased, I just want to be able to keep modding after the installation (and not lose my mod projects).

In short just back up everything but the original exe?

Edited by scarycave

Yes, unneeded backups can be deleted later, but anything not backed up first could be a painful lesson.

I wouldn't do anything more than start the vanilla game after re-installing and immediately save. As Bben46 states you want the game to generate a new Oblivion.ini file. I doubt it would hurt to play through the tutorial dungeon in an unpatched vanilla install before installing SI, but why take the chance on borking things. Follow Bben's steps in order.

Something I didn't realize when I first installed the game without installing SI is that the game will give you the 'Strange door' quest log entry when you exit the sewers but after that it doesn't care if you ever go to the strange door to continue the quest. Having SI installed from the beginning is all upside with no downside

I've got everything working except for the patch....it says that it couldn't find an "old file" but their was one of the same name, and then it closes. I haven't run into any bugs though so far and the fps actually goes much smoother than it does in Tamriel. My guess is their was one file I didn't put into the ark of back-up files and then erased them thinking I was all-set. :wallbash:

If anything I can probably just re-install Oblivion to get the "old file" if I can't find it.

Okay, so it pretty much just wants me to copy my Oblivion files, Uninstall, ReInstall, Play the game and save, Then Add shivering Isles, The Patch and then plop all my data files back in? Honestly I really don't care if my saves are erased, I just want to be able to keep modding after the installation (and not lose my mod projects).

In short just back up everything but the original exe?

Just make a copy of your entire data folder, then once you've reinstalled, copy your entire backup into it, EXCEPT Oblivion.esm.