Weight painting in Blender

EnaiSiaion

Srsly. It takes longer to weight paint than to make the objects themselves. :(

Bones that don't do what they look like they would do (apparently if you have the extra robe joints then the thigh joints are no longer necessary), and if you decide to be clever and use the pose function your mesh will get severely spiky after a few strokes and you are unable to paint away the spikes. Then there's the, ehm, feature where just touching a vertex with a 0.01 strength brush will cause a giant pit in the surface.

God forbid you have metal or something else that shouldn't stretch, or multiple layers of armor.

Anyone have tips to speed up this process?

I have no idea if this still works for skyrim (I have yet to figure out how to even get a rigged skyrim model into blender) but what I did for fallout 3 and oblivion was:

Make sure your new model has completely no rigging or parented skeletons (you can just delete bones from the model in the buttons window) and then both select a vanilla rigged mesh, and your non-rigged mesh

Try to keep the rigged mesh as close to your mesh as possible, and make sure it has all the components you need.

Now open up the scripts window (split your screen, then under window type select scripts), then go to scripts>object>bone weight copy

Make sure quality is not 0 and dont allow x crossing (names might vary slightly) is set.

Then ok ,, and let blender do all the hard work for you :)

I did this in blender 2.49b, no idea if later versions support it, and names might vary slightly, my memory is far from perfect

Good luck :)

That's what I did, but the result seems completely off. When I go into sneak mode, my belt disappears. At any time everything below the waist suffers from horrible clipping issues.

Meh. :(

Sounds like you used a mesh that didn't fit to yours close enough... You can also just repaint only the "trouble areas"

Happy modding ^^

Yes, the script is a great place to start from, but it won't do all the work for you. Like all things, it'll get faster the more comfortable you become with it. Perhaps, if blender can create vertex groups from envelope weights, it would be possible to create a armature that weights the mesh... I think I may look into this.