Ysgramor's Armor

MrLOD

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah at this point the helm will be the first thing put out as a mod.

The armor is going to be a separate mod because it will require dragonborn due to using a dragonborn mesh as a starting point. My gameplan is to either repurpose the vertices in the bear head in the vanilla mesh or just make an entirely new object and just overlay the existing carved armor mesh for the shoulders.... Essentially make shoulder pads I guess.

I can lift the mesh for the proper shoulders off of the statue easily enough... The trick is always in the texturing... But between than and enlarging the shin guards on the boots and putting the face from the belt on the statue onto the cuirass it might look pretty good in the end without too much fuss.

As far as the texturing goes for the helm I will try to pull some more from the carved armor and its normal map, and I also think I can make some moves in the bslightingshader properties.

Overall the helm is pretty close I think. Will put out another screenshot with more texture tweaks, but I will be looking to wrap the helm up in the next couple days either way.

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

textures tweaked. base helm texture was pulled directly from nordic carved helm. been messing with the normal map to reduce shininess. tentative plan is to upload it tomorrow night after finalizing the enchants and making sure the location in ysgramor's tomb where the helm will be is working.

At the end of the day, I am not a texture artist and don't really plan on turning into one in the next few days so I am going to put it out there, and if someone is able to skin it or model it better then more power to them.

As far as enchants go, I plan on going with ~20% magic resist (was thinking about going higher but don't want it too crazy), ~30 stam, and probably ~30 health and a base armor one or two pts higher than daedric. Pretty much want to give it some enchants on par with final tier enchants (within reason without going too far down the alchemy stacking rabbit hole), but making sure the enchants contribute to a melee warrior type.

Outdoors in shadows:

direct indoor light:

Edited by mcgirkke

Absolutely cannot wait! Are you going to place it in a specific location or leave it as a console-in item? Personally, I'd stick it in Ysgramor's Tomb, but I know there are probably some people out there that are going to want it without doing the Companions quests.

It will be in a chest in Ysgramor's tomb right next to the chest where his shield is located. So to get it 'naturally' you will need to have done the companions quest line. Otherwise as you said they can always just add it via console.

<snip> ...been messing with the normal map to reduce shininess... <snip>

Hey McGirkke,

This looks pretty cool!

Adressing the shininess issue; have you looked at the specular texture? Typically, the specular texture will have more control over highlights than the normal map. If you are still looking into it, I would take some time to fuss with the specular texture; it might get the results you are looking for.

You mentioned not wanting to spend too much time on the texture, so this may not be critical path for you. Either way, the helm looks pretty cool and looking forward to seeing it in-game!

Cheers!

It will be in a chest in Ysgramor's tomb right next to the chest where his shield is located. So to get it 'naturally' you will need to have done the companions quest line. Otherwise as you said they can always just add it via console.

Two thumbs up for that one!