So i'm trying to build a pc...

Let me start by saying i'm complete newb to this. Software is my forte, and most of the knowledge I have about building pc's is from internet articles. Basically I've come up with a rig using pc specialts, and I just wanted to run it by you guys, and see what you've got to say.

Processor: Intel® Core™ i3-2120

Motherboard: ASUS® P8Z77-M

Ram: 8GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz

Graphics card: 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560

Hard disk: 500GB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s

Mainly i'm gonna be gaming, and i'm hoping to make this last for a few years. I also like to record and edit videos. I'd like to state again i am completely inept at this sort of thing. My budget is about £!200ish.

If your budget is 1200 pounds you should just get a core i5 2500k or 3570k

And 1600mhz ram because that is what is used with ivy bridge.

And maybe a different graphics card if you want a 560 get the 560ti 448 version.

And a Samsung 128gb 830 ssd

Do not forget a good case and PSU

Edited by Erik005

I've just bought a lower budget system, in the UK. I got (from a builder inc assembly, warranty etc):

COST (inc VAT) £846.00

CPU: i5-3450

MB: Asus P8Z77-V

RAM: 8GB of Gskill RipjawX 2133Mhz

GPU: 2 x 1GB AMD 7750's in Crossfire

HD: 1TB SATA-III 6GB/s

And:

Network card, Coolermaster 430 case, Windows Home Premium etc etc

Plus an 850w power supply (way more than I need but covers me for adding more hardware later).

I am WELL happy with it for the money.

Runs Skyrim with the HD texture pack on basically Ultra 1080p (just anti-alising knocked back to 4x samples, and shadow quality down from Ultra to High) at consistently good frame rates. It never drops below 30fps other than just after loading a new cell, and more normally gets in the 40-70fps range, clocking over 100fps at times, and everything looks gorgeous.

I think you can do a LOT better for £1200 than what you posted, if you're being quoted £1200 for that either you've not told us about some other features (sound card, blu-ray, SSD etc) or you should look elsewhere. (You've got a better individual GPU than mine, but I've got two of them and the cost is about the same there, other than that everything you posed is at or below my specs and as I say, I paid less than £900 all in).

You're on the right track, but if it's £1200 for that, you could do better.

Edited by tetradite

Lets see that's roughly 1800 USD.

You have a lot of headroom for purchasing power. Since his budget is 1800$ Usd essentially maybe you should consider one of the higher end cards.

Such as a ATI Radeon 7950 (I wouldn't bother with a 7970 you can essentially overclock it to get 7970 power)

Or possible an Nvidia GTX 670,

both of those will put you at anywhere 250-280 British pound.

For the 7950 you might consider the HIS IceQ, superior cooling technology great for overclocking

for the GTX 670 there is the Gigabyte Windforce and if youre looking spend a little more there is the 4GB Model

Pretty much every non-reference 7970 is already overclocked to 1 GHz. And you want a non-reference one, from Sapphire or Asus, for their quiter cooling systems.

7970 is only a little more expensive than 7950 and you can overclock it further, so worth it.