I need help with making a Model!

gameaddict320

Hey everyone,

Im pretty new to modding, at this point all i really know how to do outside of the creation kit is making new textures. Currently i use Fall out mod manager, Gimp and nifskope. I did some research on 3d Models and found i needed a 3d app. I dont know much about them but i downloaded Gmax and then nif plugins. At this point i can import oblivions nif files into Gmax, However when i try to import skyrim nif files i get various different error messages. I'm not sure if its just because gmax is dated or if maybe theres other plug ins i need. I need a lot of help with a lot of detail, like i said im brand new to this so the more info you can provide the better . If gmax wont work, and theres something (cheap or free) that you use to make models for skyim please advise. Please include any plug ins needed as well (and what files they need saved in). If you can please help with a tutorial on how to make the model in the 3d app. From the sounds of it after the model is made in 3d app, all you have to do is export it and import it into Nifskope. Please help! thanks

You might find this interesting

Blender's not very easy to learn though, there is a full wiki book on it, if you google blender noob to pro.

Many people prefer blender as their 3d modelling program, because it's very advanced, has all the options of paid software while being free... And i've gotten somewhat of an emotional bond to it after using it for 2 years in TES modding :)

Edited by FakePersonality

I used to use blender until i found out if your a student you can get autodesk software like 3ds max for free which normally costs crazy money and is a great program, now i can hardly even remeber how to use blender. Also as far as the nif files go i dont know about importing them directly, but if you load them into nifscope you can export them as wavefront .OBJ files which can be imported into anything ive ever seen

Blender's not very easy to learn though, there is a full wiki book on it, if you google blender noob to pro.

No 3d pacage is easy to learn. That is not because the software itself is hard to learn, but because 3d itself it hard to learn. To see in 3d might seem easy, but it takes up to a year to be able to do it. The ability to break down the most complex object into basic primitives. Finally the ability to make what you see.

The package itself is only hotkeys, and basic controls. If you know 1 3d package, you can learn them all in a week.

That said, I would recommend:

Blender. It's free, and I hear it's becoming pretty good. I tried it for the first time back in 07, and it were no good for me.

3ds max studen version. Older version you can get for free. This is one, out of the 2, industry standard software. I believe it is the software used to make Skyrim as well, at least from what I saw on the "making of" 40 min video.

Maya. Pretty much a different 3ds max. Same producer, but a little different. I believe there is free student versions as well here? Maya is worse stand-alone than 3ds max/blender, since it is made with custom scripts in mind.

Otherwise you'll need a image manipulating software.

GIMP. Free, and people say it's solid.

Photoshop. Costs, but it's an all-purpose 2d software. Worth the cost. I also believe there are student versions? I am not sure. I simply love Photoshop!

Lastly you will need a sculpting software if you want to get any kind of next-gen details in.

Zbrush/Sculptris. Made by Pixologic. Zbrush costs, while Sculptris is the free version.

Mudbox. Made by the same that made 3ds max/maya, a little easier to learn than Zbrush, but less flexible. It costs.

For plugins get the .dds/NVidia Plugin for Photoshop/GIMP and the .nif plugin for 3ds max/whatever 3d software.

For tutorials, check out these sites:

3dtotal

Eat3d

3dMotive

Game-artist

NextGenHardSurface

Lastly check out officerbeardontcare on youtube. He got Skyrim specific tutorials, as well as general modelling tutorials for games.

I do not provide links for security reasons. Google it.

Cheers,

Matth

@Matth85

Not completely true.

Blender: Free but difficult UI (imo)

3Ds Max: Free student version and easy controls for beginners (I prefer this as a medium to convert files)

Maya: Free student version and the EASIEST controls around, but for more advanced users (I prefer this for tuning edits)

Mudbox: Free student version and nice for sculpting, excellent free painting software (I prefer this for painting 3D)

Zbrush: Costs, best sculpting/3D painting program.

Sculptris: Free, excellent sculpting abilities and good normal/bump map painting, moderate for diffuse painting (I prefer this for sculpting)

GIMP: Free, excellent 2D texture painting/editing software (I prefer this for editing and fx)

Photoshop: Expensive, student version also expensive, best 2d texture painting/editing software.

The plugins are spot-on though.