Why is my SIMPLE QUEST not displaying? What am I missing?

n000dlz

Hi all,
So I had trouble with a quest not displaying anything so to troubleshoot, I started afresh, creating a simple, bare-bones quest but I can't even get that to display at all either. I'm hoping you guys can tell me why.

I started listing what I did but it's probably easier to post screenshots:

(this is everything I've done except add the LvlRaider reference object to a commonwealth exterior location in the Render Window)

1. The Quest tabs
59770771-1540702175.png
59770771-1540703952.png
> ^Stage 20 has a log entry too but that's all it has. I've tried to keep the quest as simple as possible.
59770771-1540704080.png
59770771-1540704166.png
2. SQV results
59770771-1540704262.png
3.SQT & SQO results

As you can see the quest is running and apparently, the objective "Kill the Raider" is active too. But what does "DORMANT" mean in the SQO result? Is this why I'm not getting any sort of display in or out of the PipBoy?

I should mention that the Raider the Alias references is present and active.

I should also note that I'm using saves that have never run this or any other quest mods and I'm not saving after each try.

I've read through most of the CreationKit.com docs and many posts on here and other sites. I attempted a few minor fixes like the "optional" flag and "allow reserved" but none have made any difference so far.

Thanks

Dormant usually means "not currently active", quests tend to start on the lowest quest stage, the one at the very top, and your objective isn't set until like stage 10. Do you have anything that makes it advance to 10? If it doesn't advance from 0-10, the whole wouldn't trigger. checking the "allow dead, allow destroyed and allow disabled" is also a good test if my first suggestion fails.

Edited by charliedfsf

your objective isn't set until like stage 10. Do you have anything that makes it advance to 10? If it doesn't advance from 0-10, the whole wouldn't trigger.

He has. Stage 10 is set "Run on start".

1. Since you have st 10 that starts right when the quest begins, there is no need for stage 0 in your design.

2. 'Quest Objectives' window. I strongly recommend you remove the condition. Or if you want to have it, it should be 'GetDead == 0' at least, otherwise the Target you want wouldn't be displayed on the minimap, as it is obviously alive when the quest starts (the whole idea, according to you, is to get Player to kill him).

3. LvlRaider is a vanilla record. Untick 'Reserves reference', and 'Optional'. Tick 'Allow Reserved' and, perhaps, ticking 'Protected' is a good idea too. As well as reading what each box in the Alias window means in the first place -- is also a good idea. This stuff has a meaning, you can't just mark whatever you want in there.

4. Use a fresh save file. Or simply type in 'coc EsplanadeMansion01' or similar from the Main Menu to begin testing with.

Edited by werr92

your objective isn't set until like stage 10. Do you have anything that makes it advance to 10? If it doesn't advance from 0-10, the whole wouldn't trigger.

He has. Stage 10 is set "Run on start".

1. Since you have st 10 that starts right when the quest begins, there is no need for stage 0 in your design.

2. 'Quest Objectives' window. I strongly recommend you remove the condition. Or if you want to have it, it should be 'GetDead == 0' at least, otherwise the Target you want wouldn't be displayed on the minimap, as it is obviously alive when the quest starts (the whole idea, according to you, is to get Player to kill him).

3. LvlRaider is a vanilla record. Untick 'Reserves reference', and 'Optional'. Tick 'Allow Reserved' and, perhaps, ticking 'Protected' is a good idea too. As well as reading what each box in the Alias window means in the first place -- is also a good idea. This stuff has a meaning, you can't just mark whatever you want in there.

4. Use a fresh save file. Or simply type in 'coc EsplanadeMansion01' or similar from the Main Menu to begin testing with.

Thanks for the reply werr, your advice is invaluable!

1. I added the Stage 0 as a long-shot fix attempt. Good to know my understanding was on-point here.

2. GetDead==1 No excuse lol. I copied it off "House encounters" (Bloatflies) from "Out of Time". I thought objective completes when (Dead==True). But it's a targeting condition; if he's alive; target him. I know a little more now, thanks.

3. I did in fact read the Alias page many times on CreationKit.com(I still have it open in another tab, it's been there for about a week lol), but a lot of the descriptions don't go into any usage detail so it's difficult to know when to use them, all you have is a short description of what they represent. I don't want people to think I just did this half-hearted. If you mention a page on CreationKit.com - There's a good chance I've read it in the last week. I actually copied the 'thief' Alias from the basic tutorials(with Bendu Olo) for the Raider. Thanks for input; more good stuff.

4. Don't think I've ever heard of that location. Sounds like it doesn't even load a save. I'll check it out.

Thank you for your time, It's hard to learn and create with something like this without talking to someone who has the experience. The docs can only give you so much and the CreationKit.com docs leave a lot to be desired.

I will implement these improvements and report back when I'm done. Thank you.

Dormant usually means "not currently active", quests tend to start on the lowest quest stage, the one at the very top, and your objective isn't set until like stage 10. Do you have anything that makes it advance to 10? If it doesn't advance from 0-10, the whole wouldn't trigger. checking the "allow dead, allow destroyed and allow disabled" is also a good test if my first suggestion fails.

Hi charliedfsf, thanks for replying.

As werr92 said, I marked Stage 10 as "Run on Start?".

So if there was no "Run on Start?" selected, it would just start at the stage with the lowest Index number? Is this correct?

I suspect the condition under your quest objective is what's causing the issue. The objective can't pop (and make your quest show up in-game/in the pipboy) because you've conditioned it to only show up when the raider is already dead. That means, as others have said, you'll also want to check "allow dead" under the raider alias. I'd also personally leave "optional" just because that's an old habit of mine that hasn't steered me wrong yet. =)

Oh, also: "Sounds like it doesn't even load a save. I'll check it out."

You never, ever want to test with save games--especially when you're testing out your quests; trust me on this. Just "coc wherever" from the main menu and go from there. There is no such thing as a "Clean" save when testing quests.

Edited by NikaCola

Thank you sooo much guys, your wisdom was on-point and I have learned a lot of useful stuff.

The Quest is now displaying in coc <> from main menu as well as both saves I was using earlier. Oh, and I did recognise that location (EsplanadeMansion01) as soon as it loaded into Render window. I play way too much ;P

I do have one more question if you would permit me;

Why does Alias_<AliasName> not work for me in the Stage Papyrus fragments? I can't find an answer to this because for everybody else, it seems to work. So it's probably something stupid I'm missing again.

The compile errors I get for this solitary line referencing an Alias named "RaiderTarget" are;

Alias_RaiderTarget.GetReference()

Error;
(0): variable Alias_RaiderTarget is undefined

As well as;
(19): none is not a known user-defined script type

Over on CreationKit.com, it states;

Alias_Thief -- This is a property that the editor created and filled for us. Every time you make an alias, the game will make a property on the quest script called Alias_<AliasName>. This is a great convenience

According to this, it should work!

It's a new simple quest, just as above but with different names and the suggested improvements.

Thanks