Anonymous are taking down white supremacist websites

Werne

Though I do not object over much at having hyper racist sites getting hacked it does bring up one troubling thought, which is....who gets to decide that? By and large I prefer my vermin to stay in plain sight where we can watch them, do you really want them to go underground where they will be under the radar completely? Free speech is the concept of granting it to people and ideas that turn your stomach under normal circumstances, vigilantes no matter what their ostensible motivation are still self appointed and answerable to no one. Just a thought to consider. Edited by Aurielius

It's times like these that people you'll never expect amaze you. The Anons have just earned some respect from me. I hate racism and everything about it. It disgusts me that a supposedly "evolved" species could be so low as this sometimes. Anyways, these guys should give themselves a cookie, for they deserve it.

The more I think about this the more I realise my gut reaction to support it is wrong.

Not just because it violates the basic principle of free speech meaning hearing ridiculous, stupid and dangerous opinions that you disagree with, but also because of the reinforcing and galvanizing effect it can and will have on these people.

It plays directly into the warped mindset of people like Anders Breivik who believe they are fighting for an oppressed cause/people.

Sometimes the surest way to reveal idiocy is to let the idiots speak.

I used to support Anon, until I realized something - they're no different than those they attack, if not worse by directly violating the rights of those they despise. Self-defense is one thing, vigilance is another, but to exact violence for mere political or philosophical reasoning against someone or something is something that needs to be stopped. Edited by eodx9000