new Nvidia driver update released

SergeantGrrock

I was just screwing around about the swamp but decided to test it anyway and it did actually make it bearable. FPS was mid-20s to 30s on the previous drivers. I just ran around for a few minutes and it was mid-40s to high-50s all the way through the marsh. Haven't tested anything else but that alone is a hell of an improvement.

Wow. I guess I never realized that people can have issues from updating their graphics card drivers. I don't think I ever have. Sorry if my notice has caused anyone hardship. :(

About a week ago I upgraded to a GeForce GTX 560 Ti and immediately had the ability to max out all graphics in Skyrim. I didn't really notice much improvement (already awesome) with the driver update but hoped others could benefit from it.

Between my new card, i7 cpu and 12 gigs of ram I think my machine is running Skyrim as well as it can run but I am still frustrated with the crappy shadows/stripes - especially when looking closely at NPC's. Anyway, I hope this was positive for some of you. :mellow:

For quite some time now maybe several years, shadows in pc games have looked like crap. Remember that gamestop tv commercial for that game prototype? The character was running around on a balcony or something. You could see crappy blocky shadows all over his face.

There is the problem of z fighting http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z-fighting

Lazy programmers won't update their game engines to deal with it and nvidia and amd don't seem to care about legacy game support but for some reason this kind of crap is still around even in new games I dunno why.

I don't think there will ever be a true fix for it until the next generation of consoles comes out:-(

Edit

Forgot to say that I have the same video card as you!

My specs...

Asus 560ti 1gb card

Gigabyte X58OC mobo with intel core i7 960 overclocked to 4GHZ:-)

12GB pc1600mhz ram triple channel running @1600mhz

Crucial m4 128gb ssd drive as OS drive and samsung ssd drive for program drive 256gb.

Creative X-FI sound card with 64mb audio ram some guy name on it starts with F lol yes I know who he is being sarcastic here.

Cougar SX S850 power supply yeah it still works after a year go figure some of them do work lol.

Silverstone RV02 case later model with sideways HDD rack.

If I load the official HD texture packs, the game runs slow on ultra and when it doesn't run slow in some areas if I play too long it will get slow soon so I run on high without the HD packs and turned down some AA and AF I think.

Running at 1080p on a 27 inch lcd monitor yeaaaaaahhhh:-)

I am thinking about upgrading to a faster card with 2GB ram next year just waiting for the dust to settle on nvidia and amd. Right now is a terrible time to buy computer stuff it is full price everywhere during the summer time. Jan/feb next year the retailers will be looking to clear out their inventories and things will be cheap. Even the upgraded 560ti with 448 cores might be available with 2GB ram for cheap hopefully less than 200 by next year. Also the power requirements for 600 series is crazy! No way I am gonna spend that much electricity to play a game it is bad enough with the 500 series. Also I don't want a space heater/leaf blower for a video card.

Edited by dragonslayer2k12

@serg: your post did not cause me any hardship, I did not intend to direct any criticism at you! I had already updated the drivers.....

I only wanted to point out that there is a new driver update procedure from NVidia to help others who might experience issues after updating the way most of us have been using forever. If anything, I would criticize NVidia for not doing a better job letting people know there has been a change. Certainly not your fault! I apologize for being at all unclear on this. I think it is always helpful when people post about new drivers.