new Nvidia driver update released

SergeantGrrock

A little update. I've always had trouble inside most of the fortresses, especially Helgen Keep at the beginning. Framerates are usually mid-teens to mid-30s for some reason and it's just sluggish as hell. I started a new game and it never dipped below mid-40s inside that keep. It was in the 60s through most of it. Same for Ft Kastav, another particularly bad one.

I'm sorry for you guys having trouble with it. These new drivers are a great improvement in my case. FWIW, my card is a GTX 465, with a small factory overclock.

I stand corrected. (Can't find the "properly chatised" emoticon, must be there somewhere....)

Thank you, Flummox! :smile:

No intending to chastise :) You're a very helpful person round these parts. Just didn't want someone who was having those (or other) issues continue to try to re-install them like I did (until the Physx uninstaller broke, that is). Happy for the ones getting solid results.

Be-careful of this Driver its causing issues in many many games with issues of FPS and wrong clock speeds, my GTX 460 froze my pc solid and my GTX 560 Ti had stutter issues and FPS in multiple games, the issue seems to be linked to factory overclocked cards..i had to roll back my drivers..

Just google 301.42 issues and you will see what i mean.

yes but these issues are all caused by not following proper installation procedure. I had the exact issue with the clocks, temp. Reinstalling correctly solves this. However, simply rolling back via your CP does not atually remove the new driver files completely and you may experience continuing problems. The below is from the 301.24 release notes at the Nvidia website.

Previous Driver Files RemainAfter Overinstalling with Release 256 or Earlier Drivers Issue When installing a Release 256 or earlier driver over a Release 260 or later driver, some of the previous driver files remain on the hard disk, resulting in potential conflicts. Workaround After installing a Release 260 or later driver, you must uninstall the driver first before installing a Release 256 or earlier driver. Do not Use Windows Rollback for Graphics Drivers To reinstall a previous or older NVIDIA graphics driver, do not use the Windows rollback feature. This method will not reliably restore all the previous driver files. Instead, use the Windows Add and Remove programs to remove the current driver, and then install the older driver using setup.exe. Uninstalling Drivers Using Device Manager is not Supported Issue On all supported versions of Microsoft Windows, uninstalling the NVIDIA driver using the Windows Device Manager may not remove associated files or applications. Explanation Microsoft has confirmed that this behavior is by design. If you wish to uninstall the NVIDIA driver, it is recommended that you do so using Add and Remove programs. See the Microsoft KB article 2278714.

Oh i'm sorry i worded it wrong i do uninstall then use Driver sweeper then reinstall the older drivers. I'm not sure about the proper install procedure other than that way but my GTX460 froze my PC solid on these and my GTX 560 experience stutter and FPS in Kingdoms of Amalur, Skyrim and Firefall Beta all exactly the same, all issues were gone after i removed 301.42..

The 301.42 driver has problems with setting the clock speeds of some factory overclocked cards to their default values. The 304.48 Beta driver supposedly fixes this.

edit. Sorry, I just noticed someone already mentioned this.

Edited by fleabittendog