Better (Looking) Legion Melee Weapons

SignedName

It always annoyed me how the Legion seems to have smithys and grinding wheels, yet uses crude swords made from car bumpers and lawn mower blades strapped to a piece of wood with a few pieces of string. Any mods that make Legion weapons look like actual, you know, swords? I'm not asking for anything intricate, just something that shows the Legion are making their own weapons in a semi-competent manner.

Yeah it would be nice to expand their melee weapons (and maybe throw in some extra jury rigged weapons alongside some forged blades).

There are a lot of PD free to use models that could probably be ported. Melee weapons are a *lot* easier to port/convert (for me) than firearms. So that's a good source. Another would be open permission oblivion and skyrim blades that have original assets (even faster to port).

I'm not fast at making original assets and don't have much in the way of free time, so a port of existing models (one of the methods mentioned above) would be the easiest and fastest way to accomplish this. Can you look about on nexus (open permission/original assets mods) or some open source/PD 3D model sights and get some examples of what you'd like to see? If so I'll take a shot at porting them.

Sorry, I don't know what "PD" refers to, and a web search didn't yield any results... As for Oblivion/Skyrim mods, most of them don't have the necessary permissions (which is sad, since there's a mod with a great gladius model).

Public domain.

I, too, think the Legion could use better weapons. Look at the machetes and bumper swords they use now. They'd break in a real fight. Come to think of it, so would the tomahawks from Honest Hearts and knife spears from Dead Money. I get it, it's a post-apocalyptic setting and you have makeshift weapons. But the ramshackle stuff we have in the game looks like it'd fall apart if you used it in IRL combat. And as OP said, the Legion has smithies, grindstones, etc. So I don't see why Edward Sallow (d.b.a. Caesar) wouldn't have looked at the old books he claimed to value and studied up on metallurgy. He's an ex-Follower so you'd think he'd have had access to Pre-War books on the subject in his earlier years.

You can make your own mod. :smile:

Just pick in Nexus any 2 hand weapon that you really like and rename to

1) bumpersword.nif for the mutants

2) legateswrod.nif for legate lanius EDIT: yeah, SWROD not SWORD.

3) nvdlc04bladewest.nif for the sword of the west

them you put the first two in

steam\steamapps\common\Fallout New Vegas\Data\meshes\weapons\2handmelee

and the last one in

steam\steamapps\common\Fallout New Vegas\Data\meshes\nvdlc04\weapons\2handmelee

Found this two here, but your choice really

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/57872

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/37953

Edited by YanL