Why do my "Followers" run away?

LizzieBee

Every now and then, when I recruit a follower, they take off for points unknown. It first started with Captainoob6's ladies. As soon as they are recruited, they start jogging away. Even ones spawned in with the "cheat terminal portable" mod. Quite the opposite with my own "insta-followers" - the last few refuse to follow and just stare at me blankly. I have been playing largely in TGM mode, just more or less jacking around. I'm at level 60 or so - could this combination be causing the issue? This doesn't happen with the in - game followers - they just simply do not show up at all when recruited. The only time I know they are there is when I recruit someone else. Maybe my savegame is just borked and is dying a slow, painful death?

EDIT: This is the strange part - every "follower" who runs away, heads for the bunker behind ArcJet systems, to the un-powered elevator where I can't follow them any more. What is so special about this location? Weird.

• 4 weeks later...

just a guess but is that elevator part of a quest or anything? seems like your current companion is stuck on that quest stage maybe? If it is part of a quest. Like where danse goes after that mission or something.

That is precisely it. Here's what happened:

When you walk in to ArcJet before meeting Danse, there is a door to the left that is blocked (It is magically unblocked when you start the quest). I used TCL (noclip) to go through that door and completed most of the quest before hand. And promptly broke it. Anybody I recruit as a follower wants to "complete" the quest, and heads for the elevator because that is where you end up once you complete it. In order to "fix" the screw up, I had to advance the quest using the console. Everything is good now...

Never, EVER do that. I completely screwed up one of my games doing something very similar inside that subway-vault Skinny Malone is holding Nick. There is a locked door you are not supposed to go through until later (while you are escaping), and I clipped through it to take a shortcut and avoid most of the quest.

BAD IDEA

Everything got stuck in 'combat mode' after that (the encounter music kept playing), and Nick wouldn't even leave the Vault. In fact, he wasn't even in the locked room - he was standing somewhere else. It was a real mess. The mistakes just kept piling on after that (like finding Bobby No-nose in her gasmask just outside of Bunker Hill!) The game is made to play in certain order, and when of the 'cues' is screwed-up, everything after just collapses like dominoes.

So YEAH, you need to restart, or at least go back to a save before you did that.