Adding to the top of the map

HellFencer

Nah, object LOD is easy to regenerate: that covers trees, buildings, roads, huge rocks, anything thats 'large' in the distance. Takes less then a minute.

Its terrain LOD that nobody has regenerated (yet), thats the rolling hills you see off in the distance (And will see close up if you ever lower the real ground below what the terrain LOD is generated to)

True but, as I see it, whats the point of adding rocks and buildings if the landscape doesn't generate in the distance! Sure you can do half of LOD but, again whats the point?

This all goes back to why no one has done a mod that adds to the Wasteland, full LOD generation can not be done! People choose to build there own worldspaces to avoid this issue.

Edited by chucksteel

Perhaps I'm not fully following.

Cyber said: You can regen the LOD for things such as buildings, trees, etc.

Chuck said: Why only do half the LOD?

So, if I am ONLY adding new buildings, trees, NPC's etc, don't I only NEED to regen the "low-level LOD" as Cyber mentioned? I mean, if I'm not adding any new terrain, why regen the terrain? (Unless navmeshing the outside of the map would require LOD regen?)

This tutorial suggests regenerating the full lod is possible for at least the FO3 wasteland, but also suggests that you can just do parts of it and also that if you don't change the terrain that you shouldn't need to do it at all provided LOD exists for the cells outside the normally useable map. That said I have no actual experience in the area while chucksteel obviously does.

Ahhhh, I see what you are saying. The LOD for the outside areas of the map may not be already generated... I hadn't thought of that one. I'll have to go in game and test settings to see if its done or not. Thanks for the replies everyone!

Object LOD is quick to do, if you are only adding buildings and such, not altering the landscape to make your buildings fit better, then you don't need to do landscape LOD

That said, im pertty sure areas outside the map still have lod.

But, they usally don't have any intresting landscape paint, its just.... bland one type of ground. You'll likey want to alter the landscape painting and regenerate the landscape texture LOD (doable, but takes awhile (cpu time, that is).

Thats 3 types of lod: All are doable

Object lod (fast), Terrain paint lod (slow), Terrain shape lod (very slow)

One problem that might come up though is the areas outside the map are designed to make it so you can't see the edge of the map.

if you go outside the playable areas and all of a sudden see a huge void (or never ending expanse of flat land, im not sure how FONV does it), it kinda ruins the experiance.

Edited by Cyberlazy

FONV continues the land for a very long time. Not flat but not detailed either.

Just rocks and some plant near the edge of the map, then it turns into rolling hills with nothing there.

I know cause im changing all that. Im working on a mod call AEW - An Expanded Wasteland.

I tell you, I have a new found respect for bethesda and all who word on this game.

Landscaping, Decorating said landscape and navmeshing are murder on your body.

one slight problem. I am altering the original. took away most "walls" with IWR (Invisable Wall Remover) then continued the landscape. No loading screens, just continious play through.

But i will look into what you said and see if ican figure a way to autogenerate the details.