ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Returning Modder w/ Questions

ShadowGryphon

So a little backstory here: I had SSE set up previously with my mods in place and was happily playing without SKSE64 at the time. Last I can remember SKSE64 had just come into alpha.

A few weeks ago my computer melted down, a lot of my hardware crapped out and it was nearly a total rebuild of my machine. Unfortunately I lost everything I had installed so I come back now that I'm up and running again and find that NMM is no longer a thing, we now have Vortex? I'm presuming this is the successor to NMM?

Just curious if Vortex is any good, what differences there might be between it and NMM and also where SKSE64 is at these days, if it's still in alpha or if there's a more polished version available.

Vortex is decent. It operates a bit differently than NMM. With Vortex you can fine tune not just plugin order but also the order that mods in general are presented to the game. You can even go so far as to set up rules for a file from mod A being preferred over a file from mod C even if mod C is set to load after mod A. I suggest taking it slow and testing it out with a few mods till you get more comfortable with the program.

SKSE64 is in beta phase. However, every time the Creation Club content gets updated SKSE64 has to be updated as well.

Vortex is decent. It operates a bit differently than NMM. With Vortex you can fine tune not just plugin order but also the order that mods in general are presented to the game. You can even go so far as to set up rules for a file from mod A being preferred over a file from mod C even if mod C is set to load after mod A. I suggest taking it slow and testing it out with a few mods till you get more comfortable with the program.

SKSE64 is in beta phase. However, every time the Creation Club content gets updated SKSE64 has to be updated as well.

Thank you, I think I'll hold off on SKSE64 for now then and just stick with SKYUI 2.2 like I was previously. Do I still need things like LOOT and TES5Edit with Vortex or are they now incompatible or something?

Edited by ShadowGryphon

LOOT is built in to Vortex which is part of the reason I suggest testing it out and learning how it works. xEdit works just fine with Vortex. You can even set up all your third party programs to run from inside Vortex.

Much obliged for the information, Ishara. Thank you very much for your help. :)