Are mods safe?

SonOfDiablo

Hello,

I have been looking over the mods for Fallout 76 and some of them seems quite neat and useful.

But I'm a bit on the fence, wondering if mods are bannable at this point in time?

I have tried to google around for a bit, but I haven't been able to find any concrete answer... I mean mods that expose the sweet spot when picking a lock is definitely not okay, but mods like inventory sorters or re-textures/Shaders are they okay to use?

If anyone is able to shed some light on this, It would be very appreciated!

There is no official statement about (non-supported) modding as far as I know and nobody got banned either (pretty sure we would know by now if it was the case).
So, is it safe to mod? I'd say textures/interface modding shouldn't be a problem. But remember that you're doing it at your own risk since we don't know what Bethesda is planning to do (if they decide to something about it that is).

Just keep an eye open on Bethesda announcements and news concerning the game in case they decide to something.
Edited by Mkdo40

There is no official statement about (non-supported) modding as far as I know and nobody got banned either (pretty sure we would know by now if it was the case).
So, is it safe to mod? I'd say textures/interface modding shouldn't be a problem. But remember that you're doing it at your own risk since we don't know what Bethesda is planning to do (if they decide to something about it that is).

Just keep an eye open on Bethesda announcements and news concerning the game in case they decide to something.

Thank you very much, I had said anything in an official manner about mods yet.

I do not think Todd will bring down the BAN HAMMER without prior warning, and the disasterous reception and sales of FO:76 means Todd does not want to upset the handul of players he does have. Had the game had any success on launch, the gaming press would have taken Beth to task for allowing 'exploits'- but to be ruthlessly honest, in the pitiful state FO:76 was released, the official game critics would have welcomed the random 'fun' of hard core cheaters doing weird and wonderful things.

So Todd Howard has other things on his mind than the current hacky mods on the PC version (which of the three versions is the one he cares least about by a wide margin).

Now the DAY ONE attempt to prevent hacks will be a crude check of the game's installation files- probably 'punishing' the user with a forced RELOAD of the entire game if file 'corruption' is detected. Annoying, but not a game ban. So today I think you're safe using any form of mod on your game.

The usual advice for modders of online games is to keep your ear to the ground. If you hear rumbles of discontent from your publisher, it might be time to be more careful or stop using the mods altogether. But before then it should be OK.

Edited by zanity

if you use some tools that actually modify the original game file, you can end up with some issue at some point. The most common, will be the need to download the whole given archive file on game update, instead of the updated data.

However, you can use mods that produce (or come) as "loose files" or extra archives (ba2) without cumbersome actions nor any risk of file corruption.

If Bethesda choose to not allow those at this end, they will invalidate the overrides mechanism, (which is actually availible by default in the prefs.ini files) and nothing wrong happen to your installation.