Possible to make an .esp plugin file work in game?

Thuggysmurf

I've downloaded the xEdit 3.3.8 Beta, which supports Fallout 76 modding:

https://github.com/TES5Edit/TES5Edit/releases

Renamed xEdit to FO76Edit, opened the program, and it works fine. Made an .esp plugin to do 3 things: 1) easier lockpicking, 2) easier terminal hacking, 3) higher jump. These only involved game settings records, and the records were identical to Fallout 4, and I used the same method as for Fallout 4 (i.e. copy as override on the records I wished to change, then adjusted the value)

I also located plugins.txt in the Users\(Myname)\AppData\Local\Fallout76 folder and added the name of the .esp to it.

Loaded Fallout 76, but the changes from the plugin aren't working in game. Jump height is the same and the lockpicking and terminal hacking are vanilla.

Question: Is this because I'm doing something wrong on installing this .esp plugin mod, or because it's simply not possible yet to adjust game settings on the client side?

Just looking for helpful suggestions or informed guesses, if anyone knows, not a rant against Todd or FO76. Many thanks!

Bethesda policy aside though (not clear yet what they are choosing to enforce regarding players using mods that don't affect other players), is it currently possible to run an .esp plugin file in Fallout 76 in order to change a game setting value (e.g. lockpicking difficulty), and have it work in game? If someone reading this has been able to make it work, how did you do it?

@Thuggysmurf - I ran into a similar problem so have hit a brick wall. Currently edits to the esm file cause the server to disconnect. I also suspect that esp files are just explicitly being ignored for the time being, but I could be wrong. As far as I can tell, you can make changes to assets like graphics/audio, but not to the guts per se found in the esm file.

People HACKING into the fundamertal mechanisms of FO76 are basically assuming Beth is as incompetent in this area (ie., wouldn't protect against such hacks) as they are in the general game itself. WRONG.

There are but two 'professional' aspects of FO:76

1) the Atom Store (where children and vulnerable adults are taken to the cleaners). Only reading yesterday the rant of a 'whale' who spent 3000 dollars on Elder Scrolls Online loot boxes (yes, Zenimax is a pioneer in gambling in games) in a vain attempt to 'win' the seasonal item of supreme 'value'.

2) The anti-hack mechanisms that prevent day one chaos on FO:76 servers.

The 'big boys' in the Fallout 4 modding scene are NOT trying to hack FO:76- they wouldn't be that stupid. Some may have experimented with things like simple texture replacers, but that is it.

Which leaves those that just haven't got the 'MESSAGE' no matter what Beth does (and the Bag Scandal is just the latest Beth clear-and-loud message to the community).

Once again one of the replies in this thread refers to coming modding- which Todd Howard has stated will NEVER happen in Fallout:76- and 'private' servers, which Bethesda has stated only means RENTED servers from the Zenimax server farm running 'mods' from the Atom Store that will chnage the gameplay rules on those rented servers to some degree (say to add a 'deathmatch' mode).

Some very foolish and very naive people claim that Nexus would NOT have opened this forum and 'modding' section if mods are never officially coming to this game. WRONG. This forum and the 'mod' section here imply no such thing. Indeed it is worse. If an illegal (in Beth's eyes) turns up here or has a clear origin from comments posted here, a classic HONEYPOT trap is sprung. Zenimax lawyers can request, and will receive full co-operation from the Nexus- including all details of people associated with the planning and execution of the 'illegal' mod.

Some of you are so terminally naive, you honestly think you bask in the 'immunity' 'goodwill' of Todd Howard. That he is your 'friend', your 'saviour'- your 'protector'. Ask the whales who sank 200 dollars on the collectors ed how that worked out for them.

Zenimax altered the EULA agreement for FO:76 to explicitly declared ALL modding of ALL FO:76 files illegal, incluidng the .ini files. Some of you seem to think that sue happy Zenimax, that even sued WB over a mobile game that used the same dev tools and dev libraries an INDEPENDENT dev used to build Fallout:Shelter, in a pre-emptive strike to get WB to back down over legal action to stop Rage 2, a game filled with code WB paid Avalance to make when the game was Mad Max 2, will give Nexus hackers a free pass.

Yes I know you think this game is a dumpster fire, and Beth will be 'grateful' for your attempt to 'fix' the game- but honestly this is the stupidest fantasy any person could use to self-justify hacking. NO Beth will not be grateful. ESO came out as a cynical cruddy rip-off, but years later it is a loot box laden horror pulling in the big bux for Zenimax. It is either this future for Fallout:76 or a simple death with hard legal action against anyone who attempts to keep the cancelled project 'alive'.

If FO:76 becomes another ESO, any OFFICIAL modding will be done with Beth's own tools by people employed by, or under direct CONTRACT to Beth. Any unofficial modding will remain highly illegal. So either way NO REVERSE ENGINEERING of Beth's assets is needed or will be tolerated by Zenimax. Even if YOU think you might be 'used' by Beth in the future to make mods for them (say because you are a talented modder here for older games and Beth wants to 'borrow' your mod in some form for Fallout:76), you have no incentive to prepare for this 'generous' (hohohohohohohohohohoho) financial 'offer' from Howard's people by hacking now.

Indeed the last people Howard would associate with are self-proclaimed hackers of FO:76.

So your are illegally trying to hack FO:76 why again? When there are so many games big and small these days that welcome modders with open arms. Games by good, nice devs who love their supporters.

Edited by zanity