Moving mods to new PC.

samlyc11

So I'm building a new PC very soon, with new motherboard and SSD. My Nexus mod manager is installed on an old SSD where my previous version of windows is, and I plan on wiping that drive after moving my important data to my new SSD. I have my mods and the game installed on a HDD and I will be moving that drive to my new PC. I am also planning to move some of my games including SSE and Fallout 4 to my new SSD in order to improve loading times.

Here's the question: Can I move my games ( SSE and Fallout 4), all of my mods, as well as Nexus Mod Manager to a new drive without any problems? Re-downloading all my mods from online would be a pain is the a** due to over 200GB of mods in total, and many of which are from sites other than Nexus. I was hoping that NMM would work properly after being moved to a new drive, and recognize all of my mods, as manually adding mods to NMM would also be a pain in the a**. I would'nt mind if I have to install vortex for my mods to work properly, but I would prefer using NMM if possible.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Edited by samlyc11

If you use a data-migration tool (sometimes provided by default on new ssd's) everything is moved as it is, so installed mods when migrated as a whole will still be installed.. Just keep in mind to change the location of you skyrim.exe to the new location in NMM so it can find it.
If you are transferring the data by copy pasting them then I'm afraid things get more difficult...
But in both cases you don't have to re-download anything. Just go to C:/games/Nexus Mod Manager or wherever you have it installed (this the recommended setting) and take all the mods you have added to it from the skyrimSE folder and re-install them how you like..

However I suggest you take a look at Vortex because it is very easy to use for previous NMM users and does so much better job of installing and sorting your mods, solve conflicts etc.
I recently moved to Vortex after taking a long break from modding and I am extremely happy for the time I spent re-modding my game the proper way.. NMM does some very bad installation procedures that sometimes may break your game

I hope this helps

Edited by zeknapain

Hi

This is what I do.

I copy the Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition folder to a WD USB drive.

I copy the Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition folder to the USB drive.

I copy the AppData\Local\Skyrim Special Edition folder to the USB drive.

I copy the Games\Nexus Mod Manager folder to the USB drive.

I then install Skyrim SE on the new computer. Install NMM on the new computer.

I then copy the modded files over the Steam & NMM install.

Works every time.