FOV questions

accountmadetodlmod

This is my understanding of the FOV settings in Skyrim SE

FOV settings

"fDefaultWorldFOV=xx"

"fDefault1stPersonFOV=xx"

"fdefaultfov=xx"

"xx" is your preferred values for the above settings

"fDefaultFOV" Affects the zoom level of the lock when lockpicking and the items in the inventory screen.

"fDefault1stPersonFOV" Affects the hand and weapon models scale in 1st person not the FoV

"fDefaultWorldFOV" This is what changes the FoV in both 1st and 3rd person

"fDefaultfov=xx" is added to the [General] section in SkyrimPrefs.ini located in your C\Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition\SkyrimPrefs.ini

"fDefault1stPersonFOV=xx" and "fDefaultWorldFOV=xx" are added to [Display] section in Skyrim.ini located in your C\Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition\Skyrim.ini

Once these lines are added to the respecting .ini files you will need to change both of these files to "read only" other wise they will be overwritten when you re open skyrim SE. This is done by right clicking both the .ini files, selecting proerties and ticking the box "read only". Do not forget to change all three "xx" strings to your preferred values.

These settings can also be changed with the in game console by pressing the ~ key and typeing "fov xx". Changing the FOV this way will set ALL FOV settings to this value for the current game session.

Now I have two questions, when I add all these lines exactly like I stated to the corresponding ini files and set them to read only once I get in game all of these changes have not taken place. Am I making any mistakes that would cause these changes to not take place? The second question is when using the console command in game "fov xx" it changes all the ini settings at once, is there a way to change individual fov settings with the console?

After adding all lines to both the prefs and skyrim ini and learning about a "trick" in game to press tab and open the map the changes worked after I did these two things

Edited by accountmadetodlmod

You'd have to use a more specific console command for each setting, it's something like fDefault1stPersonFOV=XX; [general] and possibly "RefreshINI" console.

Your post count says you should know already, but make sure you are editing the correct INI's, Mod manager profile ini's.

I personally don't 'write only' my ini's