Why so expensive?

IndorilTheGreat

So, I just bought Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy off of ebay for about $45.50 (including S&H).

Now, that ^ was a good deal, considering that most other (legal) copies are going for about $60.00 and above! I'm wondering, "Why?"

The game is 5 years old (older than my "newest" comp. :P ). I know it's a great game and all, but I want to know why it is so high in demand!

Enter your input. Or don't. Whichever is fine with me. :yes:

:thanks:

Cheers,

gman021

So, I just bought Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy off of ebay for about $45.50 (including S&H).

Now, that ^ was a good deal, considering that most other (legal) copies are going for about $60.00 and above! I'm wondering, "Why?"

The game is 5 years old (older than my "newest" comp. :P ). I know it's a great game and all, but I want to know why it is so high in demand!

Cheers,

gman021

I haven't played that game but the usual reason for older games to cost alot is that they are becoming rare & if the demand is still there sellers will want more for it.

I once found Mechwarrior 2 Titanium trilogy (Graphics accelerated version of Mechwarrior 2 & it's two expansions: circa 1998) for $70

Prices go up for weird reasons. Remember about a year ago when the price of a Playstation One console shot up to like $1,200 just because some dj wrote a review on amazon saying it was the best cd player he ever owned?

Cheers,

gman021

I haven't played that game but the usual reason for older games to cost alot is that they are becoming rare & if the demand is still there sellers will want more for it.

I once found Mechwarrior 2 Titanium trilogy (Graphics accelerated version of Mechwarrior 2 & it's two expansions: circa 1998) for $70

Hmmm... I supose that makes sense... Except I've noticed that there are a lot of older games high in demand, than cost less than half of their original price! However, I have noticed that it's only the PC version of the game that's going for such a high price. Not the Xbox version. I have heard, however, that the PC version is highly moddable, so that's probably part of it...

Oh, Mechwarrior is a great series. I used to have the older ones, but there was some incompatibility issue with my "new" computer. I now have Mechwarrior 4: Vengeance only (on my computer. The other ones are laying around somewhere... :unsure:

@WoogieMonster: I didn't hear about that. That's pretty funny.

Yea also the box sets are a killer for high prices as well, never get the box set of bioshock, nearly a 100$ canadian. also it has (SecureRom).

Never get bioshock for pc, get it for the ps3 or the xbox 360. It angered me alot that you had register online and 99% of the time, they where down.

took it back asap.

It's all supply and demand, some games have more copies produced, and don't have replay value, so their price tends to go down, some games have fewer copies produced, or have high replay value, so can actually go up in price depending on where you are buying it from. It's really when the game becomes so old that current hardware doesn't support it any more that most games really start getting cheap. It also depends alot if the manufacturer is still making the game or if it's all resale. If the game is still being made, the resale price tends to be closer to the retail price, if the game is no longer being made, the resale price can be either higher or lower depending on what people want to sell it for. Despite being both old and out of print some PS1 games can still cost $10-20, even used.

Well, it arrived two days ago. Unfortunately I need Admin rights to play it (no thanks to PunkBuster :glare: ), and my dad is paranoid about me having an Administrative account, so, every time I want to play it, I have to log in to his account, change my account to Administrative, then go back to mine, switch my account back to limited, but I keep the Admin rights. *Sigh* So tedious...

Is there any way arround this that one knows? Please, do tell! :yes:

Archived