What determines load-order without a Mod Organizer?

MarkusTay

Guest deleted34304850

not entirely sure what it is you're asking, however, your load order is written to a file

C:\Users\<your id>\AppData\Local\Fallout4\loadorder.txt

It's a simple text file that looks like this;

# Automatically generated by Vortex
Fallout4.esm
DLCRobot.esm
DLCworkshop01.esm
DLCCoast.esm
DLCworkshop02.esm
DLCworkshop03.esm
DLCNukaWorld.esm
Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch.esp
HUDFramework.esm
TrueStormsFO4.esm
ArmorKeywords.esm
SimSettlements.esm
WorkshopFramework.esm
Any mods that are not active will be prefixed with a '*' in column 1, like this;
*this_is_not_active.esp
You can edit this file manually and re-order certain mods, it is, after all just a text file.
Many moons ago, when I operated under the mistaken belief that I knew better than any mod manager, I had a very simple document that I liberally sprinkled with comments, so that it looked like this;
# this is my customised load order
# game & dlc
Fallout4.esm
DLCRobot.esm
DLCworkshop01.esm
DLCCoast.esm
DLCworkshop02.esm
DLCworkshop03.esm
DLCNukaWorld.esm
# downloaded esms
Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch.esp
HUDFramework.esm
TrueStormsFO4.esm
ArmorKeywords.esm
SimSettlements.esm
WorkshopFramework.esm

# texture mods

# lighting mods

# armor mods

I have to tell you, it made not the slightest bit of difference to how the game worked, except when it came to updating mods, then, it became an absolute nightmare to manage because if I updated a mod or pulled in a patch for that mod I had to know what files were being updated/replaced and there's nothing in that file to tell you, so I ended up unpacking all the files, reading what they contained and manually making sure I had this stuff right.

Vortex, or any other mod manager does this stuff automatically and takes all the pain away.

So, there you go, read that file, play with it if you want, and see what happens.

Oh, and if you do go in and edit the file, make sure you back it up.

Thanks for that info. I no longer want to do things that way, but I appreciate your answer. Vortex and I have a nice, normal love/hate relationship at this point. :tongue:

Seem to recall a txt file that had the load order in it for F04, though I cannot remember where it was located or what it was called to be honest (maybe as simple as loadorder.txt, but I doubt it). Not sure if you aware of it, but you can also run LOOT to further check for errors (sometimes it gives you solutions too) outside of Vortex and any changes made in loot transfer over to vortex.

Wyre bash is what I actually use to disable plug-ins I don't want to use, since you can't do that in vortex, and those changes also transfer over.

Hmmmm... I HAVE been able to disable a plugin in Vortex - maybe its a case-by-case basis? I use Unique NPCs (which requires a LOT of 'hand-holding' and prerequisites, but is entirely worth it), and it says to disable the 'clean faces' esp from Better Settlers, and I did so, and I didn't get an error message (to my surprise). I had to leave the rest of Better Settlers active, though, and everything seems to be working fine (although my 'mix' of settlers is quite a bit different than my last install, even though I chose the same settings - perhaps its just 'bad luck' that I get about 60% female ghoul settlers). I guess so long as you don't delete the plugin, merely disable it, Vortex doesn't have a cow.