You call this a city?

Loki180

This sounds like a fantastic idea! A few notes I'd like to mention though.

1. I get a feeling from Bethsoft that they modeled Whiterun after Rohan. Now of course Skyrim has a lot more technology going on than LotR and reflects it well, but Whiterun somehow manages to maintain the prosperous feel despite being torn in two by the Battle-born and Greymanes let alone the civil war around them.

2. With Maven Black-briar having Riften under her thumb, the citizens either love or hate her and is reflected well in dialogue, but has zero feel from the area. Maven needs to be the funding behind Riften's rich and the bane behind Riften's poor and should be reflected by the city itself.

3. Windhelm (The city in the live action trailer) feels down and dirty and underdeveloped because its jarl is too busy with the war and is relayed perfectly. I think this city is good by itself, but if you plan on expanding cities, keep the slums the slums and the rich the rich. Don't change anything, just make it bigger.

4. Solitude is nice, but it's too small. The city as-is is perfect for the rich community, but there needs to be a slums section down underneath the arch.

5. Markarth has a nice Nord-ified Rivendell feel to it, but it's not suppose to be. Markarth is suppose to be more of a mining city with Dwarven ruins everywhere, more similar to the Dwarven City that mines the Lonely Mountain in The Hobbit. The poor are on the outside of the mountain while the rich are on the inside. And the city is suppose to be prosperous being so far out of the way of the war and the fact its constantly cranking out resources that the other cities buy from them.

Edited by Budz42

I agree with all the points you made, Betha did an amazing job on pretty much all aspects of the game but left out or somewhat neglected city life. As you say the people that live in the cities should reflect on the cites themselves.

This is why I have come up with the plan to make a new city, a real city, massive full of life, stories to tell. As the other member was talking out.

I am not going to abandon this mod though, The work I have done thus far for Whiterun has gone in the wrong way I think, I will finish of what I am doing to let people take a look. In the mod that I have done so far, Whiterun has gone from a nice neat and as you say Rohan feeling city too a very dark crowded dirty place. And I don't again as you say, I don't feel that Whiterun would be like that.

Anyway I will finish Whiterun upload then see what you guys think. Its a big project but by the looks of it, worth doing!

PEACE!

I'm looking forward to seeing what you create. In my opinion, what makes the cities in Skyrim feel wrong is not that they are too neat (though they are), but that they are way too spacious. It seems as if real walled cities always feel tight and cramped...even in the wealthy areas. Everything will be neat and tidy in the wealthy district as opposed to clutter and garbage in the more run-down areas, and the houses will obviously be much larger, etc. But regardless of wealth, I think everything should still be cramped and close together. The amount of space inside the wall wouldn't change much over time, and of course people would rather live inside the protection of the walls rather than outside, so as the city grows, every available space inside the wall would quickly fill up with shops and houses (perhaps walled gardens in the case of the very wealthiest of residents). The emptiness makes the cities feel young and under-developed.

Also, I wanted to toss out this idea... besides filling up the interior of the city, you might also allow some "spill-over" into the area outside the wall where merchants and poorer residents who couldn't afford the cost of living inside the walls would have their houses & stores. There might even be an additional market set up outside the city. The older the city, the more the population would grow beyond the capacity of it's walls. Particularly a city like Whiterun, which is suppose to be a trading hub; I think you would end up with a lot of structures outside the city to house all of the travelers and merchants.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents. I wish you luck with this. It's a really great idea, and I hope you do end up releasing it.