NPCs are not appearing in world

tenth8sphere

I am very new to modding and have been going through the Bethesda tutorials, as well as some youtube ones, but have run into a strange issue. I built a simple dungeon (just one room) and placed a book and a custom NPC into it.

When I boot up I coc into the room and the book is there, but no NPC. In trial and error I grabbed an existing NPC and dragged and dropped them and they also did not appear.

At first I assumed I needed to place some sort of special marker in the room for spawn points, etc., but none of the tutorials suggest that. They seem to imply that dragging and dropping is enough. But maybe that's because they assume I am placing in an existing map?

As an added curiosity, if I click the box ""starts dead" the NPC body IS in the room and on the floor. (dead, of course - which limits my ability to test dialogue)

I'm just not sure what I'm doing wrong and am guessing it is probably a quick fix. Suggestions very welcome!

Edited by tenth8sphere

Exactly my problem too. I know what's wrong with placing an existing npc inside a house, because they have AI packages that only let them be in the cells they're designated with the packages.

However, any custom npcs I make just don't appear whatsoever, even when spawned in with the console.

I know the problem is with the AI packages, but that's as far as my knowledge goes.

Someone please help!

Hmm, I never had this problem, but some things you might try:

Open your NPC, go to "AI Packages", delete every package and make sure every Packelist below is set to "none". If AI Packages are your problem then your NPC now should do... nothing, but should be visible.

Also make sure that you have no Template assigned - or if you have - make sure you uncheck "Use AI Packages". Or try to add "DefaultMasterListPackage" under DefaultPackageLists.

If you have copied an existing NPC I'd try to create an entirely new one anyway. Thus you assure your NPC only does what you want him to do.

Actually my knowledge regarding AI Packages is limited, but I never had any problem with NPCs not appearing =/ Actually whatever I added just... appeared.

I think Edlothia has it, start with a completely new NPC. I've had problems with deleted AI packages continuing to influence NPCs. Also, double check navmesh and the door markers - make sure you have a green nav triangle near the door teleport marker.