Drag and drop NPC into render window

If set them up with one HP and leave one AI package, wander archmage quarters. I set the NPC for script noneI play the quest through. They appear in the right spot. I use 'kill' manually. The rest of the quest runs to the end. The moment I use anything to kill them outside the room the new NPC disappears. That was the next thing I was going to try. Put a scamp or something in the room. When they die disable the monster. I'll post the results.

Next, why can't find or remove "colossal black soul gem"?

;if pInvObj.GetBaseObject == Mg17BlackSoulGemFilled, fails
;if player.GetItemCount Mg17BlackSoulGemFilled != 0, fails
if GetStage ALVQSancturaryCH1 == 25
	set pCont to Player   ;get access to player's inv
	foreach pInvObj <- pCont
	if pInvObj.CompareName "Colossal Black Soul Gem"
  	Player.RemoveItem pInvObj 1	;set tempref to pInvObj	delete later, no effect
  	SetStage ALVQSancturaryCH1 30
	loop	; now that loop has terminated, pInvObj has been set to null (0)
endif

Can you tell me if there is anything wrong with this? I already posted this on the forums with no response. I tried slightly different code, same effect.

I'm no scripter, but isn't the Colossal Black Soul Gem (refID 00007E9C) a quest item needed for the final Mages Guild quest? Wouldn't you need to clear it's quest item status before removing it from the player (and wouldn't you need to do so in a fashion that doesn't break the Mages Guild questline)?

I'm no scripter, but isn't the Colossal Black Soul Gem (refID 00007E9C) a quest item needed for the final Mages Guild quest? Wouldn't you need to clear it's quest item status before removing it from the player (and wouldn't you need to do so in a fashion that doesn't break the Mages Guild questline)?

"Archmage Quest: Sanctuary - Revelation" You must complete the Mage's Guild quest and become archmage. ;)

The quest flag is removed with the item you hold at the end of MG quest. It won't find it. Deleting it won't work either. I'm baffled.

I'll be waiting for the end of summer(so you can help?). I am going to have major issues with creating worldspaces and large cells. After this is done, I will likely be taking a break from making mods. We'll see if I get enough endorsements to merit making another chapter.

Hmm ... it's been quite a while since I've done that quest but doesn't it get removed from your inventory at the end? What about making your own clone of it with a unique refID?

- Edit - A quote from the Bugs section of the UESP Wiki for Confront the King:

There is a bug with the script on the Colossal Black Soul Gem given to you by Traven. It does not seem to disappear or let you drop it after the quest is completed. Technically you don't need the gem. You can just leave it on Traven's corpse, so it doesn't get stuck in your inventory. You will not be able to drop the Echo Cave Key either.

This bug is fixed by the Unofficial Oblivion Patch.

If you do try using a clone of the Colossal Black Soul Gem take the Mages Guild script off it.

Edited by Striker879

Hmm ... it's been quite a while since I've done that quest but doesn't it get removed from your inventory at the end? What about making your own clone of it with a unique refID?

The start of the quest requires you have it in your inventory. If I do that you will have two copies in the game.

- Edit - A quote from the Bugs section of the UESP Wiki for Confront the King:

There is a bug with the script on the Colossal Black Soul Gem given to you by Traven. It does not seem to disappear or let you drop it after the quest is completed. Technically you don't need the gem. You can just leave it on Traven's corpse, so it doesn't get stuck in your inventory. You will not be able to drop the Echo Cave Key either.

This bug is fixed by the Unofficial Oblivion Patch.

No, it isn't it's still there in your inventory with the UOP 3.04(latest). The quest flag is removed. So, you can drop it. The player may have drop it into a body and it's gone from the game. Dropped it somewhere or have in the inventory. So, I can create a copy. That creates a story problem and a bug.

Player.removeitemns [big gem] won't remove it. Why?? I have the right editorID.

Using a monster to kill the NPC off, starts when you enter the room. No good for a room that small. However, I did find another way.

NPCnameRef.Enable

NPCnameRef.modav health -maxhealth

Later, I use the reverse to get the character working again.

Now, I have a new problem the forcegreeting is not working all the time. And the NPC is not casting a spell when I want them too. They just sit there

Edited by Lord Valarian

Something to consider in your mod is what dependencies it will have. Requiring the user to have UOP 3.04 installed will bring a bunch of support headaches for you trying to figure out problems that users are having using your mod if they don't have the UOP installed. At the very least you will need to outline those dependencies clearly in the mod description (preferably with links to things like the UOP).

Using an item from the vanilla game (and not something new you've added that the user needs to acquire) will also be a hard thing to 'work around' in terms of story. Let's say the user has completed the Mages Guild questline but has gotten rid of the Colossal Black Soul Gem as you suggested they could. If they don't have it they break your quest ... if you give them a clone of it without the user needing to do something to find it you break immersion. A possible solution would be for your script to check the user's inventory for the Collosal Black Soul Gem (as well as Mages Guild quest stage) and if they don't have the soul gem trigger a side quest for them to acquire a new one.

I'm not much for having practical experience with quests and dialogue, but I do know that there are certain pitfalls to avoid with each. Perhaps a more experienced modder will recognize the problem.

Guess I will have to use a disclaimer before you start the quest. I prefer to find the technical glitch. Unless someone(hint hint) can tell me how to fix this, I'm stuck leaving story broken if you have the original. Not the mention the original model for the soul gem is wrong also which oblivion patch didn't fix.

"Note: Find and remove the mage's guild quest item, "Colossal Black Soul Gem" from your inventory and the game. It will break the story and immersion."

I'll might to make inventory check before the quest starts. The quest won't start until you remove it. I have a way to integrate the changes into the story. Thanks for the help. Topic ended.

Edited by Lord Valarian