Who is writing that and why ?

askfor

There is a rather stupid dialog when doing first part of MacCready's quest (Long Road Ahead). After killing two Gunners at Mass Pike Interchange, Sole Survivor needs to talk to MacCready. MacCready says "This will send a message" or something. Sole Survivor could say that it could make Gunners more angry or that they could retaliate. MacCready answers that loss of Gunners base is too much for them, and adds that there is no way for Gunners to know that MacCready was behind it.

Well, if Gunners don't know that MacCready is behind it, what message does it send then ? I'd say something like: "Some psychos came out of nowhere and trashed our base for unknown reasons".

Some basic logic and common sense should exist in the game. Video games are not just graphics, textures and models. There is a plot, too.

Yeah, well, we're talking about a Game Studio that thinks it's a good idea to send grannies with kitchen knifes and ladles to fight dragons and vampires. I guess at this point it's just not worth anymore to wonder why things are a little incoherent here and there

By the way, I engaged Gunners from a distance at far end of the broken highway. When they charged MacCready and me, half of them fell through the holes in the highway and died on the ground, including Assaultron. Barnes fell, too, but survived the fall. When we found him, he was not even hostile, but I placed a bullet into his head anyway, to be done with it.

This is why I tend to leave good old Moon-Moon somewhere on the ground when climbing up high. Poor pooch tends to hit those holes with quite some determination and I always play on Survival with damage ramped up even higher, so Stimpacks are scarce.

I addressed some of this in the 'FO theories' thread - I've had a problem with a LOT of IG dialogue, especially pertaining to quests. I've created a very convoluted 'conspiracy theory' that most of what is going on around the Survivor IS scripted... by the Institute. Or rather, by some shadowy-types that are pulling the Institue's strings (a FO-version of the Illuminati). Thus, when things seem 'hokey', its because they are, and as part of my theory, the sole survivor's memories have been tampered with, or even completely replaced with false ones (DiMa even hints at this). This way, even the aspect of your IG 'persona' not being clever enough to see through all the major plotholes gets smoothed-over.

And the thing that first started me down this road was Doctor Madison Li - that whole interaction is a thousand times dumber than anything with MacCready.

"Hi, I'm Dr. Li, and I used to work for the Brotherhood, but they were total douches so I left them. I came to the Commonwealth (no one ever explains how all these characters get around a dangerous wasteland so easily) and found the Institute - an insanely secretive group who NEVER lets outsiders in... and I joined them. This place is da Bomb! Not only is everyone so nice and polite (and not trying to shoot me), they shower! regularly! With HOT water! And I have access to the most amazing tech on the planet! This place is like a small slice of heaven!"

"Hi, you don't know me at all - I'm just a dangerous outsider who does NOT bathe regularly and kills tons (and TONS) of people daily. I think you should rejoin the douchbags (BoS), and help us murder all these people you call 'friends', and destroy the very tech you find so invaluable"

"Okay! I will! I may be a rocket scientist, but I'm also VERY 'special'......."

"So do you need my help relaying out?"

"What? Heavens no! We all come and go all the time - how do you think the synths or Virgil got out? I'll meet you there."

So, YEAH... thats the main storyline... I would say written by a three-year-old, but that would be insulting toddlers everywhere.

There is a positive aspect to Pagliarulo's writing. I can now download any mods that go against the continuity and lore without them becoming a problem, because there are way too many things making too little sense in this game. Like many things in F4, the story and the script are only a few steps little further from being just a concept. Had it been more fully developed, I think, it would probably become confining, like the main quest.