Awesome Quotes

LHammonds

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can't find it well I can... Wikiquote / Friendship. you may find it there. Unless someone cleans it up there. And I'm searching for the person that made that quote since the 80ties.

If we shadows have offended,

Think but this, and all is mended,

That you have but slumber'd here

While these visions did appear.

And this weak and idle theme,

No more yielding, but a dream,

Gentles, do not reprehend;

If you pardon, we will mend.

And, as I am an honest Puck,

If we have unearnéd luck,

Now to 'scape the serpent's tongue,

We will make amends ere long:

Else the Puck a liar call.

So good night unto you all.

Give me your hands, if we be friends,

And Robin shall restore amends.

-A Midsummer Night's Dream

-William Shakespeare

Unless some one cleans that up as well. (Shakespeare authorship question on wikipedia)

If you can't find it well I can... Wikiquote / Friendship. you may find it there. Unless someone cleans it up there. And I'm searching for the person that made that quote since the 80ties.

If we shadows have offended,

Think but this, and all is mended,

That you have but slumber'd here

While these visions did appear.

And this weak and idle theme,

No more yielding, but a dream,

Gentles, do not reprehend;

If you pardon, we will mend.

And, as I am an honest Puck,

If we have unearnéd luck,

Now to 'scape the serpent's tongue,

We will make amends ere long:

Else the Puck a liar call.

So good night unto you all.

Give me your hands, if we be friends,

And Robin shall restore amends.

-A Midsummer Night's Dream

-William Shakespeare

Unless some one cleans that up as well. (Shakespeare authorship question on wikipedia)

I doubt it, I got this quote from the game Civilization IV. Everytime you research a tech, a quote that goes with that tech is played. Maybe I'll do that now...

I didn't even notice this thread was here when I set up my similar one. Here's a quote that I find particularly illuminating. It's from Joseph Campbell:

"I don't believe people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive"

and another one, from Cato the Elder (one of my favorite quotes):

"I think the first virtue is to restrain the tongue; he approaches nearest to gods who knowest how to be silent, even though he is in the right"

It is from their foes, not their friends, that cities learn the lesson of building high walls- Aristophanes

Hath not the potter power over the clay, to make one vessel unto honor, and another unto dishonor? - Bible, Romans

Blessed shall be the fruit of thy cattle, the increase of thy kine, and the flocks of thy sheep- Bible, Duet. 28:4

True glory consists in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read- Pliny the Elder

It is entirely seemly, for a young man killed in battle to lie mangled by the bronze spear. In his death all things appear fair- Homer

You should hammer your iron when it is glowing hot- Publius Syrus

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested- Sir Francis Bacon

A multitude of rulers is not a good thing. Let there be one ruler, one king- Herodotus

For everything there is a season and a time for every purpose under heaven- Ecclesiastes

Two cities have been formed by two loves: the earthly by the love of self; the heavenly by the love of god- St.Augustine

I will to my Lord be true and faithful, and love all which he loves, and shun all which he shuns- Anglo saxon Oath of Fealty

All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players. They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts- William Shakespeare

The wisest men follow their own direction- Euripides

If music be the food of love, play on- William Shakespeare

To romanticize the world is to make us aware of the magic, mystery and wonder of the world; it is to educate the senses to see the ordinary as extraordinary, the familiar as strange, the mundane as sacred, the finite as infinite.

Novalis