Awesome Quotes

LHammonds

And a man said, Speak to us of Self-knowledge

And he answered, saying:

Your hearts know in silence the secrets of the days and the nights

But your ears thirst for the sound of your heart's knowledge

You would know in words that which you have always know in thought.

You would touch with your fingers the naked body of your dreams.

And it is well you should.

The hidden well-spring of your soul must needs rise and run murmuring to the sea;

And the treasure of your infinite depths would be revealed to your eyes.

But let there be no scales to weigh your unknown treasure;

And seek not the depths of your knowledge with staff or sounding line.

For self is a sea boundless and measureless.

Say not, "I have found the truth," but rather, "I have found a truth."

Say not, "I have found the path of the soul."

Say rather, "I have met the soul walking upon my path,"

For the soul walks upon all paths,

The soul walks not upon a line, neither does it grow like a reed.

The soul unfolds itself, like a lotus of countless petals.

From The Prophet - Kahlil Gibran

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself — and I will obey every law or submit to the penalty."

Chief Joseph

"Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself — and I will obey every law or submit to the penalty."

Chief Joseph

Silver, I remember reading back when I was just a little girl of Chief Joseph trying to lead his Nez Perce people to Canada and fighting the "great" American Army. This was one of my earliest introductions to true bravery and character. I have always admired this man.

Chief Joseph

Silver, I remember reading back when I was just a little girl of Chief Joseph trying to lead his Nez Perce people to Canada and fighting the "great" American Army. This was one of my earliest introductions to true bravery and character. I have always admired this man.

Yes I can only agree to that. On my 16th birthday someone presented to me the speech of Chief Seattle from there I was addicted. I had to do some library search to dig more up on Great Native American speeches and the life and the Speeches of Chief Josef. (That was before Internet of course.)

@Nice one Balagor, I like it.

Edited by SilverDNA

"For every cliched individual a bigot may care to point out to you in defense of his prejudice, I can point out examples of people acting quite counter to stereotype. There are many, many Jews who spend money out the nose at the drop of a skullcap, Muslims who've never even shouted at infidels, Christians who would much rather have a pint with a heathen than burn him, and atheists who wouldn't dream of eating a baby or p*ssing in a font."

-Kieranfoy

Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun- Mao Zedong

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, but the most responsive to change- Charles Darwin

When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist- Dom Helder Camara

To every action there is always opposed an equal reaction- Isaac Newton

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl- Frederick the Great

We will make electricity so cheap that only the rich will burn candles- Thomas Edison

Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are- Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot eternally live in a cradle- Konstantin E. Tsiolkovsky

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return- Leonardo Da Vinci

The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about- Oscar Wilde

If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of Worlds- J. Robert Oppenheimer, quoting “The Bhagavad Gita”

We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children- Native American Song

Never trust a computer you can’t throw out a window- Steve Wozniak

Beep...Beep...Beep...Beep- Sputnik I

Soon it will be a sin for parents to have a child which carries the heavy burden of genetic disease- Bob Edwards

The real problem is not whether machines can think, but whether men do- B.F. Skinner

“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”

-Mahatma Ghandi

Very true, and I say this as a Christian myself.

Beep...Beep...Beep...Beep- Sputnik I

That's the most poignant thing I've ever heard. :laugh:

"Je suis un cimetière abhorré de la lune."

"I am a cemetery loathed by the moon."

"Imagination is the queen of truth, and possibility is one of the regions of truth. She is positively akin to infinity."

"L'étude du beau est un duel où l'artiste crie de frayeur avant d'être vaincu."

"The study of beauty is a duel in which the artist cries out in terror before being defeated."

"Mais qu'importe l'éternité de la damnation à qui a trouvé dans une seconde l'infini de la jouissance?"

"What matters an eternity of damnation to someone who has found in one second the infinity of joy?"

"La plus belle des ruses du diable est de vous persuader qu'il n'existe pas."

"The finest trick of the devil is to persuade you that he does not exist."

All from:

Charles Baudelaire