• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Always two there are, no more, no less. A master and an apprentice"

"Old sins cast long shadows"

_ Master Yoda

A deigeh hob ich

http://www.abload.de/img/anne9hol.gif

"Every German has the freedom to obey laws to which he has never agreed to, he can admire the grandeur of the Basic Law, its validity, he has never been legitimized, and he is free to worship leaders who no citizen ever elected, and to sumptuously supply them - provide with his tax money, on their use, he was never interviewed. Total state and politics are in a state of which only professional optimist or hypocrite can claim, that the will of the citizens have formed it."

Hans Herbert von Arnim

Omnis ergo figura tanto evidentius veritatem demonstrat

quanto apertius per dissimilem similitudinem

figuram se esse et non veritatem probat.

The more any metaphor refers to the truth

all the more it openly proves by dissimilar similitude

that it is a metaphor and not the truth.

_Thomas of Aquin (13th c. CE) in:

Umberto Eco – The Name of the Rose

Take you protein pills, boys

http://www.abload.de/img/anne9hol.gif we speak Latin *g*

"Miro omnes studio visendi pericula salutis neglegunt"

"From sheer gaping, nobody asks about lives in danger." (roughly translated by me)

Apuleius

Metamorphoses 3, 2, 8

Let's stick to just "Awesome Quotes" rather than "Some Quotes" or "Funny Quotes", etc.

I'm talking about the kinds of quotes you would actually use on the bottom of your email signature.

Some definitions:

Awesome:

- Inspiring awe

- Expressing awe

- Slang for remarkable or outstanding

Awe:

- A mixed emotion of reverence, respect, dread, and wonder inspired by authority, genius, great beauty, sublimity, or might.

- overwhelming wonder, admiration, respect, or dread.

- Archaic power to inspire fear or reverence.

:thumbsup:

Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun- Mao Zedong

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, but the most responsive to change- Charles Darwin

When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist- Dom Helder Camara

To every action there is always opposed an equal reaction- Isaac Newton

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl- Frederick the Great

We will make electricity so cheap that only the rich will burn candles- Thomas Edison

Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are- Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot eternally live in a cradle- Konstantin E. Tsiolkovsky

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return- Leonardo Da Vinci

The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about- Oscar Wilde

If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of Worlds- J. Robert Oppenheimer, quoting “The Bhagavad Gita”

We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children- Native American Song

Never trust a computer you can’t throw out a window- Steve Wozniak

Beep...Beep...Beep...Beep- Sputnik I

Soon it will be a sin for parents to have a child which carries the heavy burden of genetic disease- Bob Edwards

The real problem is not whether machines can think, but whether men do- B.F. Skinner

Sounds like someone plays too much Civilization IV . :whistling: