Another new PC builder

Hey, forum. As of right now, I am indeed a console-gamer (gasp!). In the next few months, though, I intend to change things and attempt to build my own system. Naturally, I could use some assistance, though. My main question at the moment is whether or not I should even try to build one, considering I know zip about hardware.

Any info would be helpful, thanks guys!

Google and YouTube are your friend. its honestly not hard to build a PC. most everything can only fit and be plugged in one way.

here are two in depth videos on building a PC. both almost exactly the same, just one was from 2010 and then he made a new on for

. just recently

Newegg has a bunch of videos on building a PC. Part

. an Old
they gave. old, but still holds true. and lastly, there is
video. its not really on how to build one, but there are 3 people building 3 PCs in this video, and they stop the video at a few points to point some things out.

they have some other short videos, like time lapse stuff that are still worth watching. as i said, Google and Youtube are your friend. make sure you do plenty of research on the parts you wanna buy and whats best for you and your tastes and preferences. you could always buy a pre built system, but building one yourself will not only most likely save you a bit of cash, but its a blast as well :D

I appreciate the videos, guys. I really was hesitant when I considered hiring Geek Squad to do it for me. But that kind of defeats the purpose, anyways.

My price range is in the $1,000-$2,000 range. I don't play too many games, but Skyrim and Battlefield 3 are in that list. While I'd like to play them on Ultra (with breathing room for mods), it isn't a necessity. I'd also really prefer nice ventilation/quietness. I can go over $2,000, but I'd like to stay in that range. I'm also gonna be trying TSW, but I think a system that can handle the other two games can handle an MMO.

My price range is in the $1,000-$2,000 range. I don't play too many games, but Skyrim and Battlefield 3 are in that list. While I'd like to play them on Ultra (with breathing room for mods), it isn't a necessity. I'd also really prefer nice ventilation/quietness. I can go over $2,000, but I'd like to stay in that range.

That's a good range. It doesn't include the display, right? You can connect your PC via HDMI to a TV just like a console.

My general advice would be the following:

AsRock Z77 Extreme4 or Asus P8Z77

i5 3570K

Thermalright Macho HR-02 or Archon or Scythe Mine 2

Zalman ZM-STG2 or Silver Arctic MX-4 thermal compound (optional if you get Thermalright)

Samsung 2x4GB or 2x8GB memory

Radeon 7950 or 7970 - Sapphire (with two big fans) or (better) Asus DC2

Corsair AX650V2 (or AX850V2)

Antec P280 or P183 or P193, or Fractal Design XL

Crucial m4 256GB

WD Green or Samsung 5400rpm 2TB HDD

Optional, if you can splash for it:

X-Fi Titanium sound card - if you have any half-decent speakers

Coolermaster Storm Trigger or Thermaltake Meka G1 (it's the same thing) or Corsair K90 keyboard

Logitech G400 mouse

2-3 Scythe 500 or 800 rpm 120mm fans

You will need to do some software work on it to properly overclock the CPU, undervolt the GPU and optimize fan curves to get the best results. I can walk you through the process, it's not hard.

Currently new monitors are running from about US $130 for a 20 inch up to well over US $500 for a bigger one with more features & higher resolutions.

However, they can be had for as little as US $90 for a reconditioned 21 inch with decent resolution. - Note that most reconditioned are off lease and are not a super high resolution so pay attention to that. Look at user ratings also. they can tell you a lot about a particular monitor by part number.

I have had good luck with Acer 21" monitors. But every maker makes a few poor ones.

It'd be a pain in the ass to hook my system up to my TV with all the other stuff, so I'll probably pick up an Asus monitor. How much would that come out to?

If at all reasonable, and if you have a high quality flatscreen TV, consider connecting it.

Cheap office monitors can be had for under $200, but any TV is much higher in image quality.

Quality monitors are expensive, you'd want a 27" PVA, AMVA or IPS unit with 1920x1080 for a good gaming system, that's $500 range easily.

Even then a good 32" TV is a better option, but further more expensive.

I appreciate the videos, guys. I really was hesitant when I considered hiring Geek Squad to do it for me. But that kind of defeats the purpose, anyways.

My price range is in the $1,000-$2,000 range. I don't play too many games, but Skyrim and Battlefield 3 are in that list. While I'd like to play them on Ultra (with breathing room for mods), it isn't a necessity. I'd also really prefer nice ventilation/quietness. I can go over $2,000, but I'd like to stay in that range. I'm also gonna be trying TSW, but I think a system that can handle the other two games can handle an MMO.

The Secret World? TXAA!

here take a look at my list

Please Read the specs on their own site!

Antec 1200

GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB WIFI

WI-Fi will come in handy if you want to connect your computer to your TV through HDMI and play Games or other option is Ethernet Cable junk

(Only just because of dual bios! otherwise you can go for asrock for gold capacitors)

i5 3570K

Corsair H100

Seasonic X850 (Future Proof for SLI)

Gskill RipjawX 8gb

Evga GTX680 (The one that have written "Geforce GTX" in Green on its head)

WD Caviar Black 1TB

OCZ Vertex 4 64GB(SSD dont have good lifespan so 64gb should be enough for storing Operating System)

Samsung B350

Asus DVD Burner Sata (OEM one)

I can't really see all the reasons behind this suggestion. EVGA is one of the most faded video card brands - nearly everything they sell is just a reference design with "EVGA" written somewhere. If you have to buy a Nvidia, the best deal today is Asus GTX670 DC2.

If you are considering MMO at all, you want everything MMO related on a SSD. It makes a world of difference.

On the other hand, fast (black) vs regular (green) HDD makes very little difference.

m4 256 is only $210 now, and it's good, making it the best value SSD right now. 64GB units no longer offer value. Price per GB aside, if there's one thing everyone comes to regret about their PC purchase, it's too small a SSD. I would know, having easily run out of 4x128GB on my laptop.

Corsair AX850 is Seasonic X850, just $10 cheaper, with better warranty and a better fan grille... Although, forget both of them, I just found this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151111

If $200 isn't too much to splash on a PSU for you, this is, by far, the one to have. Seasonic Gold is very good, but their Platinum series is that much better. It's hard to feel in practice, but at least it will be quiet.

Otherwise get AX650 for $140, there's nothing in between worth its money. Very few people ever build a SLI or CF configuration, a lot of those who do come to regret it, and AX650 can easily handle a pair of GTX670 or undervolted HD7950 anyway. It won't be quiet, but you won't hear it behind the howling of two video cards.