TES:Online

spets21

There was an interview where it was stated that you probably couldn't run across the map for more than 1 minute and a half without finding a new place to explore.

That was probably Oblivion... There's a new cave or ruins every 50 feet. Just because its there doesn't mean it is worthwhile to look at, or particularly distracts from the dozens of other things you might be more focused on. I'd be tempted to say that there are extremely few people who have fully explored every cave and ruin in Oblivion, or even Morrowind, but mostly Oblivion since just about everywhere feels samey. Skyrim has a similar sort of thing going on but is decreased since most of them have some chance in being used for dynamic quests.

Even WoW has this sort of thing to some degree. Anarchy Online had it in the form of randomly generated missions and levels which might have had interesting rooms because of the encounters, but generally wasn't much for exploration.

Granted it's an improvement over the treadmill effect of early MMO's (where you spend 70% of your playtime just running from one town to the next or heading to that one area where you can get experience from without being instant death, and 27.3% of your time camping spawns that you know you can kill), but not by much since you still end up camping the same areas.

That was probably Oblivion... There's a new cave or ruins every 50 feet. Just because its there doesn't mean it is worthwhile to look at, or particularly distracts from the dozens of other things you might be more focused on. I'd be tempted to say that there are extremely few people who have fully explored every cave and ruin in Oblivion, or even Morrowind, but mostly Oblivion since just about everywhere feels samey. Skyrim has a similar sort of thing going on but is decreased since most of them have some chance in being used for dynamic quests.

Even WoW has this sort of thing to some degree. Anarchy Online had it in the form of randomly generated missions and levels which might have had interesting rooms because of the encounters, but generally wasn't much for exploration.

The developers have said that quests in this game will work very similarly to how Skyrim does it; basically a lot of them will seamlessly connect with each other and lead to various other quests. The good thing about the quests in TESO is that you'll also be able to make different choices, and it's not a linear point-a to point-b type of MMO. Everything is also laid down by hand by the world creators - down to every tree. That could potentially help much of the exploration not feel the same, especially when it comes to each of the different provinces. Each one is going to have its own type of landscape and look, akin to that of previous games in the series.

That's not to say it'll all be as they say... but hey, I have some hope for the game. It is going to be Elder Scrolls, after all.

Edited by TeccaNique

• 3 weeks later...

I'm actually an MMO noob, i've only just played the WoW starter edition and liked it so getting the full one in a few days. If i'm gonna be presented with an elder scrolls versions then I will snap it up!

I don't think I agree with the hero thing, I think Syndrome said it best...