'Radioactive' wasteland, yet it's mostly radiation-free.. HMM..

MarckFasci111

The issue:

here's something that's always bothered me;

Radiation is not a threat in the wasteland. its more of an inconvenience (somewhat like getting mole rat disease at level 50)

with the amount of nuclear waste, nuclear detonations during the war, the glowing sea, rad storms and water made 80% of feral ghoul piss; there is a lot of radiation around. like, you go near any of these things, you're instantly raped by rads.

with all of this radiation around, the air in the wasteland is awfully clean... its not likely that the water would be so contaminated and there would be radiation storms if the air we breath is so clean.

An explanation:

my point in this is that we should be copping a lot more rads when we are out in a NUCLEAR WASTELAND. afterall, radiation has a long half-life, so it would not be all gone after a mere 200 years.

I have played fallout 4 for hundreds of hours, and ive found that radiation was never really a very big threat. I never wore hazmat suits, I never took any rad-x, and even though rad-away is so rare, I would end up with hundred of them in storage

The mod we need:

SO!!
I think this would be a rather simple mod to make, and would improve immersion and gameplay considerably:

no matter what you're doing, if you're outside, you should be taking small radiation damage (not much, maybe like 2 or 3 rads)

this way, it actually feels like you're in a polluted nuclear wasteland, and radiation is actually a thing that you should be cautious of, and would make things like hazmat suits, rad-away, rad-x, and the Lead Lined armour mod something to care for

and for people who think there is too much radiation (or too little)

this could also have a settings holotape or settings page on MCM which allows users to alter the amount of rads they take from being outside.

or have several download options for different amounts of rads

Dude, do some very basic research. There should be no radiation at all after 200 years, the half-life of the main fallout particles range from 8 days for iodine-131 (the only one able to output enough rads to realistically cause radiation sickness) to a bit less than 29 years for strontium-90 (the main cancer risk) just over 30 years for caesium-137 (the longest lasting). You will get more ionizing radiation from the sun than you will from fallout after 210 years. Edited by Seattleite

While the above is true, there are still rad storms within fallout so in small patches there should be pretty heavy doses of it. Has the OP checked out Gas Masks of the Wasteland yet? There is also Deadly Radstorms, PIRAD and my personal favorite the Power of Atom. Should make your radiation much deadlier.

But how, though? OP's making a case from "realism", so how could there be enough radiation to cause any kind of "rad storm" (a concept that doesn't make any sense at all to begin with) when there's ~0.8% of the original caesium-137 and strontium-90, and 5.7e-2883% of the original Iodine-131? It seems pretty clear there would be no fallout left at all, if we're insisting on realism here.

But then, if we're insisting on realism, the only things left of the pre-war world would be the concrete buildings and some occasional non-perishable items that got spared from the elements though some miracle of circumstance, and in New England it's far too wet to have much of that. So really, none of the setting works at all, and it's pretty silly to expect any part of it to conform to reality.

Sure, I'll just go tell Bethesda their game that's supposed to be fantasy is unrealistic in a way that is explicitly part of the fantasy. And when they tell me "that's the point", I'll tell them I know, but you wanted me to tell them that anyway because you only skimmed something I wrote and didn't get the point I was making.

Lol... Look, Its a game. There is radiation in the game. Explaining why it doesn't make sense is actually not even necessary, but thanks for that useless info. Why do certain people just grip onto a thread of what was said and want to be a smart ass and start fights over it? ...

Pirad is quite good but the author seemed to not like Gas masks of the Wasteland and although there is a compatability patch, it doesn't really work with GMOTW that well. There is also a Horizon patch for Pirad too made by the author but it does not utilise the Horizon workbenches properly and everything still relies on Armorsmith

It is a mod with some good idea but really, you have to create your own patches for it.

GMOTW is probably the best choice if you don't want to create patches.

Sure, I'll just go tell Bethesda their game that's supposed to be fantasy is unrealistic in a way that is explicitly part of the fantasy. And when they tell me "that's the point", I'll tell them I know, but you wanted me to tell them that anyway because you only skimmed something I wrote and didn't get the point I was making.

You should buy yourself a monkey. Then you will have someone that cares about your argument. Everybody wins.

Lol... Look, Its a game. There is radiation in the game. Explaining why it doesn't make sense is actually not even necessary, but thanks for that useless info. Why do certain people just grip onto a thread of what was said and want to be a smart ass and start fights over it? ...

Way to again respond to the exact polar opposite of my point, by repeating my point back to me like it's somehow a counter. My POINT was that the game can't be expected to remotely resemble reality, which is good because reality is the exact opposite of what the OP wants. I explicitly said that, too.